The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Wayne Houchin "Breaking Magic" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
So Wayne Houchin and Ben Hanlin seem to have a new TV show called "Breaking Magic". I just finished watching two episodes back-to-back, and all I can say is- don't bother. It sucked.

The disturbing thing to me is that they give away the secrets in the show! While these are not things that you and I would probably do, I just don't get it. For instance, Wayne did a thing in an car repair shop in which he was able to control some "oil" and make it move on it's own toward a part that needed oil. Then it was revealed that it was done using a n*o m****t. Not a wise move for Wayne, in my opinion. Then again, if I got paid well to do it, maybe I would change my mind.

I won't be watching this again.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
That is sad. I got asked by Fox years ago to go on TV and expose. Turned them down of course and had plenty of TV offers since to go on and just perform. Unsure why he did it, does not necessarily mean money was involved in the decision.
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
I don't think it surrounds revealing magic, as opposed to showing you science that looks like magic..or with a magic spin...It is questionable though in general wether it should or should not be done..

I found the show interesting in a Bill Nye the science guy kind of way..I was amazed by the science, but at the end you don't feel like a magic show just finished, more of a science show.
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
True, the "magic" part was not too magical. That's kind of why I said the show sucked. But it still exposed some "principles" of magic, like n*o m****ts, and how something can burn and yet not burn. I honestly don't see why Wayne did this show, though. In my opinion it did not make him look good.

One of the things he did was a bungee jump with a cut-in-half bungee cord. The cord was then held together using two books that had their pages interleaved. Not magical at all- more of a science thing, as six said. But the Mythbusters did that exact same thing on the exact same channel a year or two ago, and they did it much better. No reason to do it again in an inferior manner. I guess the risk of death if it didn't hold together was more appealing to the producers than the Mythbusters using two US Army tanks to pull them apart. But, of course, you had to know that he was NOT going to die doing that stunt.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
So what does "Breaking" mean in this context? I could guess from the ocntext that it means "breaking down the secrets behind" but I know there is also a show called "Breaking Bad" and I wonder if "Breaking" has some trendy new meaning.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Well, I did assume that it meant breaking the secrets. I don't know if it has a trendy new meaning.

But they did show him doing a quick card trick that took all of 10 or 15 seconds. It was a simple "Pick a card. You picked the 4 of spades". That secret was not revealed.
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1351 Posts

Profile of Piz
I personally don't care for the man or name mentioned in the title. Just my opinion, buy his tricks at your own risk (IMO). I Was screwed over by this person once before, this mans Integrity is slim to none in my book.

As stated, this is simply my opinion of him due to previous experiences with the man. Maybe he changed his ways? Who knows, but I'm not gonna be the one to find out.

Paul
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:
On 2012-11-12 01:13, BatsMagic wrote:
Well, I did assume that it meant breaking the secrets. I don't know if it has a trendy new meaning

Well breaking it down is what they are trying to do and the show "Breaking Bad" is popular. It's all TV BS.
Official Thread Killer
W:H
View Profile
V.I.P.
222 Posts

Profile of W:H
Hi all,

Breaking Magic was created, written & produced by Objective Productions - the production team behind Derren Brown. The show was never intended to be a "magic" show. It was always intended to be a science education show - dressed up in a magical way: part Bill Nye the Science Guy, part magic show & part extreme stunt show.

I saw this as an opportunity to use magic in a unique way - to explore, highlight, discuss and test some interesting scientific principles. Instead of using magic to just entertain - this show utilizes the presentational skills of magicians to demonstrate science. Is it the show I would make if I had creative control? Nope. But it is a fun, commercial and educational science show - one I'm happy to be a part of.

If you go into it expecting to see a "magic" show - you'll be disappointed. Breaking Magic is a science show featuring many of the same scientific demonstrations that are being done in classrooms around the world - presented & performed on a larger scale and given a magical twist.

Regarding the name: not my favorite. But you are correct - Breaking Magic was chosen due to the popularity of Breaking Bad.

Wayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
222 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-11-12 01:41, Stucky wrote:
Well breaking it down is what they are trying to do and the show "Breaking Bad" is popular. It's all TV BS.

Yup. There's also a show on called "Breaking Amish." Around the rest of the world our show will be called The Magic of Science. In the US - it's Breaking Magic.
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1351 Posts

Profile of Piz
I'll be making sure I stay away from these shows. Thanks for warning us W:H

Paul
View Profile
V.I.P.
222 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-11-12 06:23, Piz wrote:
I'll be making sure I stay away from these shows. Thanks for warning us W:H
Paul

Not a warning. I think they're fun shows! They just may not be what you're expecting - that's all.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I watched it and thought it was Interesting... Haven't decided whether I liked it or not. But I didn't really see it as Exposure. Now the card levitation if that would have been exposed then I would have been upset. But for right now, ill watch next week good job on your part WH.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Boy, you guys are tuff. Take it for what Wayne says it is. You seem to want to make it a big deal. Seems like a cool show.
Lloyd Barnes
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of Lloyd Barnes
You can see the first episode in full, here: Breaking Magic // Season 1 - Episode 1
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-11-12 01:32, Piz wrote:
I personally don't care for the man or name mentioned in the title. Just my opinion, buy his tricks at your own risk (IMO). I Was screwed over by this person once before, this mans Integrity is slim to none in my book.

As stated, this is simply my opinion of him due to previous experiences with the man. Maybe he changed his ways? Who knows, but I'm not gonna be the one to find out.

Paul

Piz, you don't care for Wayne? Maybe tell us why? Many people don't like me and I always ask why. Most times, I agree with them.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Watched it and would give it 7/10. Not as good as THEM which was really good.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2012-11-12 01:32, Piz wrote:
I Was screwed over by this person once before, this mans Integrity is slim to none in my book.
Paul

Where can we get your book?

J
MagicMaddy
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of MagicMaddy
I think you guys are missing the point of the show. They are explaining how science can be used in magic. I rather enjoyed it and honestly would have been disappointed if they hadn't shown how they work.
Billman
View Profile
Loyal user
New hampshire
219 Posts

Profile of Billman
I agree that the show was NOT exposure.
As stated by Wayne and mentioned on the intro of the show, they take scientific principals, dress them up and present them as illusions.
The tricks shown were scientific principals learned in Highschool Physics class.
I loved the Wine on the coat with Ben and Billy. Always fun to see some hidden camera reactions.

Can't wait for next sunday's episodes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Wayne Houchin "Breaking Magic" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL