The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Fear and Faith Derren Brown (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4117 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
I Iain do get your drift on this thread and some points are very valid which you have aired,all the best.
jakubr
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of jakubr
Haven't seen that yet, but really looking forward to.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
First off, this was entertaining. That said, I agree with Iains post above. Derren seems to be moving away from being a mentalist and moving towards being a guru. I think he kind of showed his intent on going this route with Trick or Treat (which was extremely entertaining), and with stuff like Hero, The expiriments, The walking dead (i'm sorry, apocalypse) and now this show I'm a little dissapointed. Derren is an expert mentalist, but I just can't appreciate the guru character he's developing now. Especially when he's been so critical in the past. I honestly would prefer him to go back to trick of the mind style mentalism, and to focus on his stage shows as I feel that is where he shines. While this latest show was entertaining, I think it was more suited for TED or Nat Geo than Mr. Brown. I did enjoy the show quite a bit more than apocalypse though.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4117 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Can't beat his stage mentalist show's although I enjoyed this offering I will not be buying the DVD of this latest series,I have purchased, most of his good stuff, did not enjoy the Zombie one I must admit but I will watch part 2 of this one.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Looking forward to the "God" episode this Friday.

Just a shame that some won't be able to post their opinions on here.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10584 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Look any entertainer has the right to re-invent him or herself. In the music realm a good analogy would be Madonna or The Beatles.

Apple Computer does it with computers. On and on...

It's smart business - he keeps it fresh. He owes you and I nothing.

My understanding is that at one time Derren also did NLP seminars as well. So?

He is a taleneted and smart businessman - and I dare say we could all learn a great deal from the way he zigs...and the way he zags to amplify his success.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Oh I'm not suggesting that he has to stick to the mentalism act and isn't allowed to re-invent himself. I'm suggesting that his re-invention is lame in comparison to who he was. Just my opinion.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2830 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
And Iain's objection, if I understand correctly, is that Derren is reinventing himself as the kind of charachter he has exposed and looked down upon.

In the US, I see DBs material sporadically. What shows is he positioning himself as a guru? On what program did he do actualy healing? Are there shows where he presents what he does as having a potential healing effect as a "side-effect"to being amazed?

If so, I'd like to be able to see these performances. I've been fortunate in seeing much of the early DB so my opinions may not be fully informed.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
I think there is a lot of closed mindedness being exposed here through the left brained analysis.

Derren is moving as close as he can to the source of people, to the point of them, utilizing any medium he can employ.

He understands people want to be profoundly affected on an emotional and spiritual level. This has always been the geste of his work as he unearths more refined avenues.

Revealing predictions and other traditional themes usually do not have the same impact of being witness to another ascend their boundaries and circumstances. Within this framework is a direct link to the heart, where true wonder is experienced - love.

With that said I also love mentalism and really love his earlier work. But to be honest he is transcending it and utilizing more potent mediums to create an exprience.

The way I look at it is that he is immortalizing himself..
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Bill - I contend that his "healing" has been demonstrated in shows such as Apocalypse, Hero at 30 Feet, And the recent Fear and Faith. While he may not be physically healing anyone, he is changing (or attempting to change) their behavior, often because before the experience they are lazy, ungrateful, etc etc etc.

Dj Trix - I don't see any closemindedness at all, rather people expressing their opinions about a performer/performance. Personally, from a business point of view it's brilliant. He's keeping himself up to date and in demand. I just don't care for the premise or the character. No discredit to the man, he's obviously got a smart head on his shoulders. Just not my cup of tea is all.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18594 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Youtube science of scams derren and watch the tarot reading one...
and the hawkins interview with him about 'cold reading'...

I'm all for people changing, you just cant fully change until you address the past - especially if you've taken a 180degree turn on certain subjects...
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18594 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Take someone through a metaphorical experience and then let them consider that experience and what it means to them..reject/absorb/adapt whatever the outcome may be...

if you don't see the parallel then fair enough, I'm just expressing my point of view!

a big team behind the scenes taking care of the real changes, yet one person taking credit for all of that change..."derren changed my life" vs "derren brown and his large team of therapists and others helped ME change my life".
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
And did the subjects ask to be changed? They're lazy and ungrateful? Says who? Who's to judge?
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Personal Development. That's where the money is.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Iain I respect your perspective but I feel compelled to suggest that it has virtually always been the front-man who receives all of the acclaim.

Quote:
On 2012-11-15 05:19, quicknotist wrote:
Personal Development. That's where the money is.

Aye.. And I believe it to be the biochemical opiate and neurotransmitter release when we see another succeed that Derren is capitalizing upon. The high of seeing change and Believing we can change..
Beesharp
View Profile
New user
Norway
24 Posts

Profile of Beesharp
Personally, I can't see that he has made a 180 degree turn, as the placebo effect is well documented. But what amazed me somewhat, was the complete negligence to adress which coditions placebo, without the added effect of genuine treatment, is effective against. The show came across as something of a proponent of the "power of the mind/think yourself healthy" way of thinking, and I hope the general public will not utilize this as motivation for trying to think themselves out of real somatic disease.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Well Iain you might think that some don't GET what you're trying to say, and of course you're correct (evidenced by some of the replies).
But here's the good news: many do!
In fact I agree 100% with every word you said.
Imagine a world where you choose to be whatever you want to be: footballer, golfer, boxer, plumber, actor or..... mentalist.
Then imagine that in this world there are NO OTHER footballers, golfers, plumbers, actors or.... mentalists.
Can you imagine your surprise when people write that you are the best in the land? Your complete shock at discovering that not one other person in your peer group has managed to be commissioned for a TV show in this George Orwellian world that you live in, and YET there is no mention of this in any of the media press?

Hey, I know the boy is good, but... compared to WHO in this wonderful level playing field that we live in?

Incidentally I just watched Apocalypse. Jeesas! It seemed that THAT was okay with everyone yeah? Who the hell are you people for chrissakes???
I tell you now, if Derren Brown was waiting for me in that room (that mum simply told me to walk into?) to tell me that it was 'just a game' I'd have strangled every breath from his body. If that boy WASN'T hypnotised IMMEDIATELY AFTER that last scene as he left the compound to 'TELL to the world that he loved it all and no complaints' then I'm a camel's fanny!

The only person I saw empowered in this programme was little Derren with his bonnet on pressing buttons like a wee God to make his puppet dance!
This is commissioning gone insane!!!
I say we shoot him... now!!!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
T,im Dawson
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of T,im Dawson
'He is not the Messiah he is a very naughty boy'

Monty Python
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
916 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Here Here Bobster
Astrych
View Profile
New user
Poland
4 Posts

Profile of Astrych
As I understand, he doesn't want to be seen as a mentalist. And he repeats it over and over and over:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0-z8MoGs8k&t=6m48s

Iain, but do all these psychics at the end of the process explain people that this has nothing to do with supernatural powers and such kind of things? Of course Derren Brown isn't 100% honest with people but from my point of view, what he does is much more honest than what psychics/diviners do.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Fear and Faith Derren Brown (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL