The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Dr. Bill's Bend (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Um, look in your pocket or some old junk drawers? Seriously, feel free to write me at wcushman@bellsouth.net anytime if you haven't been innundated with solutions in your PM box already!
altrez
View Profile
Loyal user
Kentucky
217 Posts

Profile of altrez
Hey Bill,

No one has responded yet but you Smile where do I buy the object that is in question?

-Altrez
Aubrey de Wet
View Profile
Regular user
South Africa, Johannesburg
111 Posts

Profile of Aubrey de Wet
Hi Altrez, Dr Cushman is very helpful by email. I strongly suggest you contact him by email for this info.
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3219 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
I have this and is a piece of art! My compliments to Bill for this work, this is something I will use!
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3920 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
More kudos for DBB.

It made the Top Ten Releases for 2012 of Jheff's list. Way to go, Bill!

If you don't have this yet...don't be left behind. It's a wonderful thing.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Aubrey de Wet
View Profile
Regular user
South Africa, Johannesburg
111 Posts

Profile of Aubrey de Wet
Ok, finally for non-US viewers, if you want to buy an iTunes gift card (to watch the Cohen performance), you can do so here:

http://www.pcgamesupply.com/Category/iTunes-Gift-Cards
eric6
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of eric6
Hello David
what are the top ten please ??
Thanks
Eric
davidandstuff
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Mo
69 Posts

Profile of davidandstuff
I have a "Mother of all Benders" as mentioned in the ebook and a bender like the one pictured. As I have been preparing for this effect I have been going through my collection of old various keys I have been collecting for Jon Allen's Flexion effect. As I have practiced with the Mother Bender I have noticed that there are some thicker house keys and spare keys that I simply cannot bend at all. I am not necessarily a weak man, but I certainly am not old enough to have "old man strength" like some of you ;-) ... How does one prepare for a situation where a spectator gives them a thicker key that will not be bale to be bent subtlety with one hand? Has anyone else experienced problems with bending one handed? Am I just a weenie?
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Eric, I just wrote Jheff to see if it is OK if I just list the titles of the top ten, not his whole write up on each. If it is OK, I'll go ahead and do so.

David, I've been using this method since I was 13 and most certainly a classic 90 pound weakling and magic weenie. I have a feeling you aren't "holding things" exactly as I describe. Many related methods detail (inexplicably to me) ways to do this that do require more brute force.

By the way, are you only having this problem with "The Mother of All Benders" or also with the more standard version as in the photo? Some "Mothers" look like "Mothers" but don't work so well whereas I've never had a problem with the standard style. If this isn't the problem, write me at wcushman@bellsouth.net and I'll walk you through what I suspect you are doing wrong.
davidandstuff
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Mo
69 Posts

Profile of davidandstuff
Thank you, Bill.

I will reread your instructions and give it all another whirl. I will let you know if I am still struggling. I appreciate your reply and would like to say that I am very excited about the methods and ideas in this ebook you released. I am all about simple props that audience members can touch as it creates stronger memories in my experience. This bend is perfect for that.
Lar
View Profile
Veteran user
New Port Richey, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Lar
Dear Dr Bill,

I''m considering purchasing this but I have a question.

I purchased Andrew Gerard's "Key Accessory" a while back but unfortunately couldn't use it because I wasn't able to achieve the necessary l*v***g* if you know what I mean. I could do it but it didn't look very discrete so I never used it.

To those of you that have Dr Bill's Bend and Key Accessory do you find Dr Bill's Bend physically easier to use?

Regards,

Laurence.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Hi Laurence. Any help yet? If not, I may have time tomorrow to dig out my KA directions and compare and contrast so you have an answer to your question. As I responded via PM, I'm sure that while I adopted Andrew's great presentational frame, I would have used the method of bending I "created" when I was 13.

OK, Jheff would prefer I give you his link to the Best of 2012 list so you can check out his reasoning in detail:

http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com/2012best.html

I will let one cat out of the bag. The best product of the year, and I absolutely agree and think it is well deserved, is Bruce Bernstein's Unreal! Congratulations Bruce, you earned it.

By the way, Unreal is nearly sold out. Buy now or miss out!
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Dr Bill´s material shows how simple ideas plus excellent psychology can transform "tricks" into "miracles"

Dr Bill´s Bend is no exception. Several ideas that fits perfectly plus excellent audience interaction that can give your performance "the moment" that you are searching.

I know for a fact that pendulums are an incredible tool for the Mystery Performer and funnily enough I use similar ideas in the past and Dr Bill´s Bend will worth the money that you are investment and much more.

If you are serious about creating everlasting memories, get this ASAP

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Thank you Pablo. And now for something completely different....

Well, not different but definitely cool! My dear friend Mauricio Jaramillo made a video of his performance of DBB one-on-one for use in the Penguin ad. See it HERE!
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
I love Dr. Bill's Bend so much I could marry it.
Best key bend for me ever!
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2550 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Does someone remember that somebody was selling bags of skeleton keys.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1239 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
I don´t own it but after watch Jaramillo´s video at Penguin Magic, the bending method looks like Richard Mark´s "The Key Warper" from Mind Warp book.
Can anyone comment about it?
Regards!
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
909 Posts

Profile of ParaLabs - Thomas
Quote:
On 2013-06-20 22:10, Mind_Magic wrote:
I don´t own it but after watch Jaramillo´s video at Penguin Magic, the bending method looks like Richard Mark´s "The Key Warper" from Mind Warp book.
Can anyone comment about it?
Regards!

Well, the actual bending method as such (technical-wise) is even older than Richard Mark's 1998 book. But you have to know that Dr. Bill's routine isn't just about 'how to bend a key'. It is a composition that not only justifies handlings but it frames presentationally what the audience experiences.

Reducing Dr. Bill's book to one separate technical part wouldn't meet its qualities and its thoughtfulness of the thinking behind.

Best
Th.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
So many levels upon which to comment. First, a lot of indpendent invention has occured regarding the method for the BEND itself. I've been doing it since I was 13 when I was pretty sure I saw Geller do the same on TV. And was amused a decade later when I bought Key Warper from Richard Mark (it was originally marketed as a separate effect) to discover the "gimmick" and method were the same I'd been using.

As Thomas points out Dr. Bill's Bend isn't about the method of bending a key (though it does offer what I think is a nice framework for any needed misdirection). It is about a presentation that weaves together pendulums and a key bend in a way that has really resonated with a lot of people around the world.

And Mind Magic, your comment is actually refreshing after encountering a number of customers who even after reading the book and watching the video were writing to ask where to buy the bending gimmick!
jamesmwood
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso, Texas
101 Posts

Profile of jamesmwood
Dr. Bill's Bend. A Review

What the Spectators See: "The magician gave each of us a key hanging from a string and showed us how we could make the key swing around like a pendulum just by concentrating on it. Then he had my friend hold her key inside her hand while the rest of us concentrated on it. When she opened her hand, the key had bent."

Audience reactions: Different people have different reactions to the first part of the routine. Some people are "believers" and become excited when the key starts swinging in their hand without any apparent force being applied. Other people are "skeptics" and react to the swinging key with raised eyebrows and guarded smiles, as if you are trying to hoax them.

But everyone is stunned and mystified by the climax of the routine, when the key bends inside the spectator's hand. If anything, the skeptics are more impressed by the climax than the believers are, because the skeptics have been assuming the routine was just a bamboozle when -zap! -- something truly magical and inexplicable occurs with the bending of the key.

How the presentations went: I gave two performances. First, I am a college psychology professor, and presented the routine to a class of 50 students, supposedly as a demonstration of the "power of the mind." My presentation was based on Steve Cohen's television performance in "Lost Magic Decoded." After letting the students ponder for a few days following the demonstration, I gave them a short lecture on the ideomotor effect and how it accounted for the keys swinging like pendulums and for other mysterious phenomena like the Ouija Board. (I declined to explain how the key bent, but told them they could buy the secret at online magic stores). Overall, Dr. Bend's Bend was much more entertaining than my usual class lecture and provided an unforgettable lesson about the ideomotor effect and the powers of suggestion.

My second performance went almost exactly like the first, except that the audience consisted of only two people, including one who was a complete skeptic. Although Steve Cohen's routine was developed for a parlor presentation, it also worked well as a close-up effect. In fact, the key bend seemed even more impressive in the close-up setting, because both people were standing only a few inches away when it happened.

Favorable comments: The trick is well-suited for parlor and even stage presentations. But it is also practical for walk-around -- you might need 20 keys on strings for an evening of walk-around, which isn't much. Between my car, house and office keys, I normally carry ten keys in my pocket already.

There are absolutely no angle problems. The first part of the trick with the swinging keys is pure showmanship with no sleights. The climax of the trick, when the key bends in the spectator's hand, requires maybe two or three hours of practice, but I'm very clumsy. If I can learn it then almost anyone else can too.

I love it that the key-bending part of the trick has very strong built-in misdirection, at least in Steve Cohen's routine. When the moment comes to bend the key, you'll find that no one is looking at your hands or even paying much attention to you. I often worry that I will flub a slight or be caught by the audience, but not with this trick. I feel almost like I could bend five keys at the same time and still no one would take the slightest notice.

Unfavorable comments: When you buy the trick, you are given only a book in pdf form and no video. I really needed to see the trick done, not just read about it. Luckily, there's a video on YouTube in which the likable Mauricio Jaramillo performs a version of Dr. Bill's Bend. In addition, for a couple dollars I downloaded Steve Cohen's Performance of "Lost Magic Decoded" from Amazon videos. These videos answered most of my questions and got me going.

I also had some difficulty learning the mechanics of key-bending from the pdf book. I ended up downloading "Chi Touch" by Christopher Taylor from Penguin Magic for $10. Chi Touch is an impressive psychokinetic effect and as a bonus it includes an instructional video in which Dan Harlan teaches how to bend keys, coins, and other metal objects. Harlan's video taught me enough that I was soon bending keys without much trouble.

Overall Rating: 8/10. Dr. Bill's Bend is a very practical and impressive routine. I would give it a rating of 10/10 if the instructional materials were better. However, as I have indicated, with a little extra effort (and sorry to say, about $12 of extra expense) it is possible to obtain the necessary information that the instructional materials fail to supply.
Jim Wood
El Paso, Texas
jawood@utep.edu
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Dr. Bill's Bend (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL