We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Dr. Bill's Bend (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2855 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Hi everyone. First, Tony, thanks for your compliment. Having Steve Cohen as my "TV spokesman" is a wonderful experience.

Lior, not everyone gets your sense of humor! Lior has had DBB for two weeks and is just being cheeky.

Andy, I'm not sure what you are implying about Doug's thread. Doug was one of the first people to see The Dr. Billet Tear, if that is what you are referring to, and was only concerned I credit him for an aspect of R2D2 that I adapted and I think is great. Interestingly the one aspect he didn't particularly like has become a non-issue. Doug hasn't seen it since then. I will still include both options (they aren't that different) because I think it has its place in the right circumstances and like everything else in our odd world, some not only prefer doing it that way, it is their favorite part of The Dr. Billet Tear.

I believe I can even see the effect of Doug's thread on your post Thomas. Your thorough, thoroughly flattering REVIEW!

I believe there needs to be a distinction between personal views from objective fact but if we have to tippy toe around and worry about being "politicaly correct" to the point where we qualify every statement we make, something will be lost in trade. Perhaps the fluidity of a well written review will suffer from writers less talented than Thomas. All the more impressive since you aren't writing in your native language!

Coming from you, Thomas, this review means a lot. I know, and appreciate, how high your standards are.

One of the things I really appreciate is how many people have written or posted about their experiences performing Dr. Bill's Bend. While I know reviews of an effect prior to performance are valuable too, there is something significant added when people share there performance experiences. You even went out there and tried two approaches to see which went over better! That is doing your homework.

Which makes it even more valuable information to the readers of this thread who want to know if this is something they will actually use. It is also valuable to the readers of Dr. Bill's Bend who may decide to follow you in the direction you are going.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
I just got DBB. I have been using ideas from Banachek, Ben Harris, Richard Mark and Andrew Gerard for years now. I am so excited to try some of the ideas in DBB. I just finished reading this and look forward to fleshing out these ideas and nuances. This is a fantastic piece of literature, full of ideas.

I had never been exposed to the method in Mauricio's lovely routine, which is a revelation of sorts.

Dr. Bill's structure (with some presentational ideas from Steve Cohen) is a thing of beauty and amplifies the key bending presentation to an entire theater. I love it.

I look forward to being able to report back after I have done this a few dozen times. Thanks for the gift of excitement!
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2855 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
And thank your for such a wonderful review! I look forward to hearing how you use Dr. Bill's Bend in performance.

Jheff Poncher of Marketplace of the Mind just placed his review up. Not to toot my own horn, but I'm extremely flattered. Jheff doesn't pull punches. Here is what he wrote, including the endorsements he listed:

MY COMMENTS:

This effect by Dr. Bill was one of the highlights of a
collection of material on pendulums which he has now made
into a separate e-book. This powerful routine is a
brilliant merging of the always-strong pendulum routine and
key bending. It involves numerous members of the audience,
if not all of them, and has the components of an incredibly
entertaining and effective routine. There's really not that
much more to say about this that's not in the blurb, except
that this requires no gimmicks and relies on just the
handling of the keys and the participants.

Included within this twenty-seven page PDF is the Dr. Bill's
Bend routine, some really terrific bonus ideas, excellent
additional ideas from Banachek, a presentation from Steve
Cohen (who performed it on his Discovery Channel special),
Mauricio Jaramillo's "Pender Bender," and an excerpt from
Dr. Bill's TRYBIL on the pendulum. The only consideration
is whether or not you do metal bending routines and, if you
do, this is something that you really should consider.

"If you've ever wanted to do a metal bending effect, but
lacked a well laid out routine with which to present it, Dr.
Bill's Bend is a great way to go. It builds logically by
employing ideomotor response to help your audience suspend
their disbelief as the effect reaches its climax. One can
easily see why it was chosen by Steve Cohen to be included
in his TV special, "Lost Magic Decoded."

Bruce Bernstein

"An absolutely wonderful framework for metal bending. The
audience has something to see and a wonderful surprise at
the end. This is a reputation maker."
Banachek

"When I first looked at Dr. Bill's Bend, I knew I was
holding something very special. There is much more than a
simple routine...it's an entire presentation that crackles
with fresh thinking. An absolute masterwork."

David Thiel

"Dr. Bill's Bend is, without doubt, one of the best key
bending routines I have seen. The presentational script is
powerful and there is absolutely no heat on the moment of
the bend. Whether you are a Mentalist or a Magician, Dr.
Bill's Bend is guaranteed to mesmerize, entertain, and stun
any audience."

Peter Duffie

All the kind words and reviews really mean a lot to me. And thanks again to Mauricio Jaramillo who was invaluable in putting the book together as well as offering a superb contribution.
LarsA
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of LarsA
This sounds a bit like Bendulum in Magick 414: can anyone say if they are similar?
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2117 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Wonderful thinking!

Benny
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
502 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
Jerome Finely's "Thought Circle" routine would be a great way to transition into Dr. Bill Bend.
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
greml1n
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of greml1n
Wow...I love this. Most of Dr B's stuff is highly innovative and even if the effect is not something you can quickly adapt into your shows..... the ideas are gold!!! in a world of THINGS we need more IDEAS and he is def an idea man....I always try to invest in things that I can warp and mold into different directions....Dr.B's the bend is one of those things.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2855 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Anyone on the Bendulum question? I vetted this with mentalism's best and best informed and no one made any such association. Can you describe the effect of Bendulum, Lars?

Thanks Ben and Gremlin, and what a great idea Mystic! Gremlin, not that anyone should adapt any new routine to their shows before it is ready but is there something about DBB that is giving you particular hesitation? Glad to help if there is.
greml1n
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of greml1n
Oh no no! I mean that some performers may find some things more suited to their show than others..... as for me I love it all
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
I've been out of town, but want to comment on Dr. Bill's Bend. I'm very mad at myself for not having thought of this years ago! This is a perfect way to do a key bend and the method leaves so much open to presentation as evidenced by Steve Cohen. It's just a great concept!

The additional material from Banachek, Mauricio Jaramillo and others is pure gold. I particularly like the Pender Bender setup, but it's all wonderful.

Great work, Bill!

Richard Osterlind
LarsA
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of LarsA
Bill:
Bendulum - you have a pendulum with a key at the end, which you show around. You dangle the pendulum over the spectator's hand, then ask them to grab the key. When the spectator opens their hand, the key is bent.

It is worth saying that the write up is barely a page long; so even if there are similarities, it is clear that Bill's Bend must go a lot further in terms of tips and presentational ploys.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2855 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Thanks, Lars! A friend sent me a detailed description and it is an interesting idea though very different from Dr. Bill's Bend.

And, Richard, you are too kind. Thank you.

The banner ads that Mauricio Jaramillo created are up! Thank you Mauricio you did a beautiful job on the banner, and on the ad it leads to, and on the book the ad is selling and on and on and on.
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
I looked up Bendulum. While both involve a pendulum and a key the presentation and the method differ. That said you could mix and match depending on what strikes your fancy. Bill's book is much more detailed and has several ideas for presentation.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2855 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Thanks,bdekolta, I appreciate your research and like the idea of combining the two.

By the way, I'm having my annual Holiday Sale with my ebooks 40% off. For descriptions and prices please go to: HERE!

I wish I could say it included DBB, but right now it is an exclusive.
Mauricio Jaramillo
View Profile
Elite user
Colombia
412 Posts

Profile of Mauricio Jaramillo
Quote:
On 2012-12-09 21:32, Richard Osterlind wrote:
The additional material from Banachek, Mauricio Jaramillo and others is pure gold. I particularly like the Pender Bender setup, but it's all wonderful.

Thanks for the kind words Richard, they mean a lot coming from you!

It was great working on all this with Bill! This is a routine I use all the time as well, just last Saturday I performed it at a show and it was a huge hit, everyone loves their bizarre souvenir they can keep on their keychain.

I see that Bill now has his own Magitar (That's my key!):

http://images.penguinmagic.com/images/pr......99a4.jpg
trixy
View Profile
Veteran user
sweden
320 Posts

Profile of trixy
I could start a itune account in usa but I cnat by any becasu I live in sweden and find free codes I cant so I don't understand how to se this LOST MAGIC DECODED without free codes..
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2855 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Is anyone helping Trixy? Please don't let the getup stop the mentalists though I have to admit the oft expressed sentiment that spoon bending is at risk of becoming the equivalent of balloon twisting in mentalism gave me a bit of pause when I saw that nose! But he seems like a very nice guy and just needs some direction from anyone who can speak his langauge.

By the way I just found Steve Cohen's TV special Lost Magic Decoded where he performs DBB for $1.98 HERE!

Though foriegn customers will still have to follow Aubrey's instructions. But now it shouldn't cost more than the original price of $4.00. Happy Holidays!
Aubrey de Wet
View Profile
Regular user
South Africa, Johannesburg
111 Posts

Profile of Aubrey de Wet
Hi Trixy and the others. I'm not sure what free points are, but you can buy US itunes gift vouchers anywhere online and use those.
Peter Gröning
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
166 Posts

Profile of Peter Gröning
Quote:
On 2012-12-24 18:33, Bill Cushman wrote:
Is anyone helping Trixy? Please don't let the getup stop the mentalists though I have to admit the oft expressed sentiment that spoon bending is at risk of becoming the equivalent of balloon twisting in mentalism gave me a bit of pause when I saw that nose! But he seems like a very nice guy and just needs some direction from anyone who can speak his langauge.

Trixi asked for help elsewhere on this forum. I sent him a PM and I think he already is on the right track.
Best wishes,
Peter
altrez
View Profile
Loyal user
Kentucky
217 Posts

Profile of altrez
I just got this and I must say WOW. I have never been much into metal bending so can someone please PM me a link for the certain something that is talked about in the first part of the book?

Thanks!

-Altrez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Dr. Bill's Bend (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL