The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnosis Show for Kids (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
hypnokid
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of hypnokid
Quote:
On 2013-12-25 21:09, mindpunisher wrote:
Im glad to see someone agree with me "hypnosis has the potential to screw people up". Ive been going on about it for years on here... I've always said there is an inherent risk whenever you do a show even for experienced performers. And its something that needs to be kept in mind.

Is that why you've only done 3 shows in 10 years and they, in your own words, were poorly attended?

HK
Too much style to be a stage hypnotist.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Poorly attended by my standards but were really well attended by festival standards (average 300 a night)Im used to 1000 plus and by your standards incredible.Something you can only ever dream about. And I have done dozens of Shows over the years but not stage hypnosis mostly seminars for businesses. And recently Ive been doing quite a few.

This year we are applying for funding with Fifa to help disabled people get into sport using hypnosis. Ex service men who were severly injured etc And I have a meeting on Friday with a major player in the financial industry to work with them to create a persuasion programmme to sell to their clients using hypnosis. We also have meetings with three professional football teams and have content and plans to take my coaching programme to India and license it there by the end of July.Im busiest Ive been in many years and all because I look for different ways to use hypnosis.

What are you doing this year? You get any new magic sets for your xmas? Shouldn't you be posting in the kiddies section instead of wasting bandwidth?
hypnokid
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of hypnokid
>>> Im busiest Ive been in many years and all because I look for different ways to use hypnosis.

Now you're learning.

HK
Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
In the UK the Hypnotism act of 1952 applies
(note the footnote 5 [F5] refers to an amendment in 1969 reducing the age from 21 to 18)
________
3 Prohibition on hypnotising persons under twenty-one.

A person who gives an exhibition, demonstration or performance of hypnotism on a person who has not attained the age of [F5eighteen] years at or in connection with an entertainment to which the public are admitted, whether on payment or otherwise, shall, unless he had reasonable cause to believe that that person had attained that age, be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding [F6level 3 on the standard scale].
________
However, Hypnotism is described in the 1952 act as:-
________
“hypnotism” includes hypnotism, mesmerism and any similar act or process which produces or is intended to produce in any person any form of induced sleep or trance in which the susceptibility of the mind of that person to suggestion or direction is increased or intended to be increased but does not include hypnotism, mesmerism or any such similar act or process which is self-induced.
________

so if we don't send them to sleep or put them in a trance it is not hypnosis, right ????

[note: I am not an lawyer. this is just my personal interpretation]
TerryMc
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of TerryMc
Hi all.
New to the Café, but been a hypnotherapist since 1989. Using hypnosis on children as a form of entertainment is more than just a bit wrong. I would say it has the potential to be downright dangerous. What happens if the child a reacts to some incident from their past. What does the entertainer do then.
In the UK I am sure it would be almost impossible to defend. Another thing the YouTube video title is GANGNAM STYLE in HYPNOSIS KID SHOW - LIVE!!!
You would never get away with playing about with the language like what is a trance and they were never asleep. Hypnosis is an altered state of awareness and whilst within that state the individual could be more suggestible. I believe the 52 act is met. Unless it was your first gig I'm sure there would be a paper trail a mile long with the words hypnosis written all over it. We all need to keep in mind ethics and just leave kids in the "being entertained" entertained group.
These kids should never be never have been allowed to volunteer for this exhibition.
How are the other young people going to view the participants after your show, None of them looked really cool did they. Adults have the capacity to understand the showoff element of the on stage participant. Maybe kids will view this as you were dumb enough to do stuff.
With regards to money and insurance any money you get payed. I suggest that you put it aside because you'll need it to pay for legal costs when you get dumped for non disclosure.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I knew a hypnotist that involved the kids but did not hypnotize them. He would stick imaginary thread to the nose of an adult then give to the kid to lead the adult around the stage. He did things like strong man acts where the kid could lift a fake barbel but the adult couldn 't etc. I guess there are ways to involve kids and make it entertaining without actually hypnotizing them.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Terry Mc. Welcome. But your comments are both dogmatic and rubbish. I am not a hypnotherapist. I am a stage hypnotist. I have hypnotised twelve year olds and there was no danger. There is no danger if you know what you are doing. Your objections are not based on actual experience, but on your limited viewpoint and experience in this area.

MP, some great ideas there.
TerryMc
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of TerryMc
Hi All
Ouch!
Hypnosis is a mental “state”. it does not differentiate between the stage or, the therapists chair. It simply is.
Where this state involves children. I will always fall on the side of caution. If this is interpreted as dogma then yep I’m choosing dogmatic every time, and again is say “Children should never be hypnotised without the parents’ permission and never for entertainment purposes even with parents’ permission”. The hypnotist should always retain the veto and lean on the side of caution.
With regards to my view being rubbish.
What I speak of bellow is a well-documented event
There is an occurrence that often takes place during hypnosis called” spontaneous abreaction” where the individual experiences an event from their past at a psychological, physiological, emotional and level. (This is not simply being remembered. It is being re-experienced) which can be extremely traumatic for an adult let alone a child.
Often the adult will recognise this and deal with it in a, “I almost freaked out there type of response”.
If you (the hypnotist) are prepared for this event then you will deal with it in your adult professional manner and carry out the appropriate procedure.
If it happens to a child then I would suggest you have just opened up a whole can of worms; also you have the other children to deal with, who have just witnessed the abreaction.
We can never be aware of the mental condition of any child nor can we be aware of the backstory of a child.
Any time you induce the state of hypnosis there is the possibility of this event.
An adult makes an informed adult decision to participate in stage hypnosis. A child is a “child” and should not be in a position to volunteer for what is a psychological experiment.
With respect to my experience being narrow. I would say that it will continue to be narrow with respect to hypnotising children for entertainment purposes. I never will.
My experience in inducing and working with individuals and groups within the hypnotic state I’d say that every working day for 25 years is not a bad start.
But this is simply one man’s view. Each to their own
Kindest Regards
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Many of us would dispute hypnosis being a distinct mental state. Particularly in the case of stage hypnosis. And abreactions are not a feature of stage shows. If the hypnotist has even half a clue what he is doing he will never encounter an abreaction outside the pages if a forum such as this.

If the parents are happy and the nuns who run the school are hapoy', then I am happy to do the show.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Tony stage hypnosis or therapy you can't make distinctions they are the same. If suggestions affect within a therapy context they will affect in a stage context. The brain doesn't distinguish between one context and another. In fact stage tends to be a lot more powerful than therapy in my experience in terms of accessing distinct mental states.Hypnosis may or may not be a distinct state but what is undeniable is hypnosis allows access to all kinds of amplified mental states. It is a doorway to all kinds of mental and emotional behavior.

I have worked with many clients whos life has been influenced or limited by a few careless remarks or embarrassing event caused by a teacher when they were very young. that's in an everyday context. Its very common. To have a similar experience while being even more open through hypnosis at an early age can be damaging. I personally would never hypnotize kids. Most parents I know would be horrified at the thought.
hypnokid
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of hypnokid
What is hypnosis? I don't know. Let's debate it. Yawn.

HK
Johannes L.
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
692 Posts

Profile of Johannes L.
This is to me very disturbing.

Hypnosis should be respected far more than a "toy" to play around with. As a hypnotist you form the experience through suggestions. Imagine the childs friends whom look at him/her acting out silly suggestions.

I never hypnotize children, never will, never even considered it. You don't know their background, their past experiences.

There is always a possibility that you'll trigger a bad emotion or experience something that can frightens or harm the kids self-esteem and/or well being.

- John.
The Rain Man Glimpse

Effect: The mentalist memorize any kind of information in less than a second. $5
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19822 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh no the old trigger a bad emotion boogie man.

While there are a great many reasons not to hypnotize children I do not think discredited psychobabble should be listed amongst them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Johannes L.
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
692 Posts

Profile of Johannes L.
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 17:54, Dannydoyle wrote:

While there are a great many reasons not to hypnotize children I do not think discredited psychobabble should be listed amongst them.

I have once triggered a bad emotion, rather a bad situation through a suggestions that intentionally wasn't supposed to be a bad suggestion. In the process of making something impossible to do, I with the bad wording in the suggestion made the subject unable to even express this emotion which turned into complete mind panic.

- John.
The Rain Man Glimpse

Effect: The mentalist memorize any kind of information in less than a second. $5
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 16:35, John Linden wrote:
There is always a possibility that you'll trigger a bad emotion or experience something that can frightens or harm the kids self-esteem and/or well being.

No there isn't. Those fears are completely groundless.
Johannes L.
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
692 Posts

Profile of Johannes L.
Of course there is!

Walk up to a kid and tell them to think of a horrible memory, they will do it. You are communicating in hypnosis.
The Rain Man Glimpse

mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 17:54, Dannydoyle wrote:

Its more than possible Ive witnessed it and even experienced it.

Its more like;y to happen because of bad therapy that ends up making you worse than when you started.Its why a lot of traditional counseling makes you worse not better.

But it can happen on stage that's why its against our guidelines for the license to do any kind of direct regression. Although it can happen with indirect suggestions too.

But you are more likely to be the cause or start of a trauma if not careful with a kid.

Its nuts and illegal in the UK. License isn't all that bad I agree with most of it.

As for anything being discredited doesn't make it so. Somewhere someone is probably discrediting the discreditor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19822 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Try reading books from the latter part of the 20th century.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Johannes L.
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
692 Posts

Profile of Johannes L.
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 19:25, Dannydoyle wrote:
Try reading books from the latter part of the 20th century.

Can you harm someone through communication?
Do you communicate when hypnotizing?

The answer is quite simple and the possibility is there.
The Rain Man Glimpse

mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Danny you should know by now when it comes to academia and research you can find research that supports both sides of an argument. that's why I am not a big fan of research and its value when it comes to hypnosis.

But it took me 2 mins to find evidence that psychiatry still uses abreactions along with drugs to uncover repressed memories.

http://pb.rcpsych.org/content/26/2/58.full

Abreactions do exist but as a theraputic process they cause as much harm as good.

Maybe you should email the shrinks that still use them and tell them they don't exist.

Deep relaxation can cause the discharge of emotion that hasn't been resolved. Coupled with suggestion can make it more likely.

Ive seen it and experienced it. Ive also worked with many clients who have been made worse by it as some counselors still use it. And for some reason mainstream doctors refer them at least over here.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnosis Show for Kids (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL