The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » International Magic Convention (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4645 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Well wonder what it will be like this year? ,my third year and there is a promise of more stall's all in one big hall as the building has been renovated.What I have noticed is not a lot of interest seems to be on here about the event perhaps because they do not have much in the way of what we want? it is certainly for me at time's as last year never even had the basic's that I was after like flash paper,blanked faced card's etc,so fingers crossed there will be more and better stalls,if Alakasam was there I know were I would spend my money but still it is a good day out watching the close up competion act's, all the best.
killermagic80
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of killermagic80
Do you have any reviews from the festival week of magic??

thanks
killermagic80
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of killermagic80

thanks
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4645 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On 2012-11-16 17:52, killermagic80 wrote:

thanks

Sorry never been to the festival week of magic so I can't really reveiw it,very surprised on here no one is interested in going ,perhaps it's the thought of meeting me ,lol ,there are no worries there I don't bite,i am up now and can 't wait to go,not slept ,like a big kid who can't sleep when I am excited in going somewhere,just hope they have what I want this year,still as I said it's a good day out and the only magic thing I go to and nice to meet other folk interested in the art,met Andy Nyman last year and performed ULTRA GUM for him and it went well,all the best.
killermagic80
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of killermagic80
Hopefully we can have a review by Monday!!
killermagic80
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of killermagic80
Hopefully we can have a review by Monday!!
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4645 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Well here is my reveiw again International Magic did not have what I wanted was told they would go to there shop and pick me up what I wanted asked them at 11 and still no joy by nearly 4 oclock brought a blank faced bicycle deck of cards and they had the cheek to sell me them with out a proper card box just a plain old white one £5.50, havig a laugh,no one had no flash paper or a one way force deck out of hundreds of other card decks,was some fairly good electronic gadgetry there very expensive tho,i picked up LIGNTNING psychic illumination, light up any chosen light bulb ,a few good stuff from Stephen Tucker, terrible projection screen for the close up show,could not see the hands of the magician very well,bar very expensive,oh yes London prices but a mick take at £7.50 a glass of red wine,large yeh right,so doubt I will go for a 4th year all very expensive only good hilight was getting a full English breakfast for £4.00 at a Café down Southwark,all the best.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Thanks for that well articulated and in depth review of the weekend Fire Starter.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
killermagic80
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of killermagic80
Quote:
On 2012-11-18 15:02, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Thanks for that well articulated and in depth review of the weekend Fire Starter.

ahahhahaahahahahhahahahaahahhaahahaha!!!!

any reviews on the subject?! : )))))
rjs
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of rjs
I attended the weekday festival and the weekend convention.

Stand -outs (not surprisingly!) were Spanish magicians Woody Aragon and Juan Tamariz. Their lectures and their shows were very entertaining and mystifying.
I also loved those crazy Americans Rick Merrill and Steve Bargatze. I laughed at their unorthodox scuffles and exchanges.
Their psychic blindfold routine was hilarious.
Steve did his 'I hate kids' routine with 3 wallets. And his toilet plunger routine, sucking out the identity of a card from the spectator's brain.
Rick also did a quick-fire multiple card selection routine. Very clever.
Michael Vine, Derren Brown's manager, had some great anecdotes. He's a genuine jewish eccentric and he immediately won the audience over.
Rob James' evening show was cleverly constructed, but he came undone during his performance of Mark Elsdon's Inevitable. One of the spectators was a statistician and he could instantly see through the exaggerated probabilities. However, Rob rescued his show with a wondrous rendition of a Robert Houdin effect.
Will Houston had a brilliant finale to his presentation. Despite half the deck being shuffled by the spectator, the two halves ended up with matching cards...
He also showed us a clever way of converting the Charlier cut into a deceptive pass.
French performer Vincent Hedan demonstrated an impossible card trick. The magician shuffles the deck, ribbon spreads them face down. He then turns his back. The spectator removes any of 52 different cards from this face down spread, notes it and hides it in the ungimmicked card case. He then closes the spread and cuts the deck. Despite these constraints, Vincent can quickly and easily identify the random selection.
Richard Wiseman rehashed a lecture that he gave earlier in the year at the Magic Circle. It's very funny, but maybe too funny with its series of gimmicky photos.
Arthur Benjamin's rapid calculation math magic should have been corny and daft, but even a jaded cynic like me found it very impressive. He kinda looked like John Denver though which unnerved me.
Joe Atmore was very confident in his presentation of Dunninger's radio show and it went down really well. A bonus for me was the presence of Sophie Alderton who played 'Ace' in Doctor Who. She was one of the coolest of the time travelling companions...
Eric Mead's approach was rather cerebral. He explained his version of the spectator finds the four aces. I think I'll give it a go. I also look forward to his book on Tim Conover.
I could say more, but these are the things I most remember.
The stars were the Spanish duo, Aragon and Tamariz, and the American duo, Merrill and Bargatze.
The dealer's den was ok, but not earth-shattering. I bought the new Patrick Page book, Woody's Book in English, the Fred Robinson book (on sale) and several blue Bicycle decks.
killermagic80
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of killermagic80
Thanks for your review!

did anyone watch luke jermay's show??
View Profile
Special user
876 Posts

Profile of 1908
Yes killermagic... Jermay's show was unique, a crystal ball was involved(!)but as Rowland mensioned, the audience was really quiet both in lectures and presentations as well. I will try to write more about the whole festival and convention soon. It was definately 1000% better than "Dereks" FISM!!! Noel Britten also took the opportunity and said a few jokes about Blackpools horrible FISM!!!
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
killermagic80
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of killermagic80
Quote:
On 2012-11-19 20:15, 1908 wrote:
Yes killermagic... Jermay's show was unique, a crystal ball was involved(!)but as Rowland mensioned, the audience was really quiet both in lectures and presentations as well. I will try to write more about the whole festival and convention soon. It was definately 1000% better than "Dereks" FISM!!! Noel Britten also took the opportunity and said a few jokes about Blackpools horrible FISM!!!

wow! yes please. that would be good! Smile

thanks
rjs
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of rjs
I forgot to mention the late night performance by the gifted psychic Ian D Montfort who conversed with the dead, the undead and the 'about to be dead'.
Randi might as well pay up the $1m now as it was clear evidence that the afterlife exists. And that psychic powers are real and relevant.

Jeff McBride also excelled in various guises - but his baby gag was the funniest!

And Bergatze (or was it Merrill?) did an impersonation of Whitney Houston's final song - which was cruel, but very funny.
killermagic80
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of killermagic80
Quote:
On 2012-11-21 05:13, rjs wrote:
I forgot to mention the late night performance by the gifted psychic Ian D Montfort who conversed with the dead, the undead and the 'about to be dead'.
Randi might as well pay up the $1m now as it was clear evidence that the afterlife exists. And that psychic powers are real and relevant.

Jeff McBride also excelled in various guises - but his baby gag was the funniest!

And Bergatze (or was it Merrill?) did an impersonation of Whitney Houston's final song - which was cruel, but very funny.

really?!! it was a psychic show? when it was that?
View Profile
Special user
876 Posts

Profile of 1908
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
killermagic80
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of killermagic80
Thanks
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1736 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Quote:
On 2012-11-18 06:47, Fire Starter wrote:
Well here is my reveiw again International Magic did not have what I wanted was told they would go to there shop and pick me up what I wanted asked them at 11 and still no joy by nearly 4 oclock brought a blank faced bicycle deck of cards and they had the cheek to sell me them with out a proper card box just a plain old white one £5.50, havig a laugh,no one had no flash paper or a one way force deck out of hundreds of other card decks,was some fairly good electronic gadgetry there very expensive tho,i picked up LIGNTNING psychic illumination, light up any chosen light bulb ,a few good stuff from Stephen Tucker, terrible projection screen for the close up show,could not see the hands of the magician very well,bar very expensive,oh yes London prices but a mick take at £7.50 a glass of red wine,large yeh right,so doubt I will go for a 4th year all very expensive only good hilight was getting a full English breakfast for £4.00 at a Café down Southwark,all the best.

The full stop button, on my keyboard at least, is bottom right, just below the L and the semi-colon.

HTH
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4645 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On 2013-11-18 06:50, ross welford wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-18 06:47, Fire Starter wrote:

The full stop button, on my keyboard at least, is bottom right, just below the L and the semi-colon.

HTH

What you waited a whole year to have a pop at my grammer?,get a life loser,this is a magic forum.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » International Magic Convention (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL