The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hostess RIP » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..23~24~25 [Next]
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2012-11-23 19:50, LobowolfXXX wrote:

What sort of empowerment do employees at Apple, Pixar, and Microsoft as compared to less great companies?


Revealed-Inside-Apples-Chinese-sweatshop......-12-hour



-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-11-23 16:44, Slide wrote:
"How many famlies do yoiu know that have only one wage earner in the family?'

Most single mothers that I know.

72% of African American households have a single wage earner.


I am not even going to touch that. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-11-23 16:44, Slide wrote:
"These figures are not accurate - Ed already posted he makes $11.50 an hour, which is more than this site says a department manager makes. "

Dude, can you READ: it says the high range of a Department Manager is $20 and and average salary is $11.18 which total is in line with what Ed said.

Learn to read before posting again.


There you go with the Dude crap again. Like I said when you start to lose it you always use that. You are unbelievable but very predictable.

I am using you numbers from your post with the 17K.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16264 Posts

Profile of tommy
Walmart says the national average hourly wage for its full-time workers is $12.40 but declined to say what it is for part-time workers. The federal minimum wage has been $7.25 since 2009.

US $ = 7.7350 UK £ and £7.20 is the minimum wage in the UK. Or £8.30 in London. Lets say minimum wage in the UK is about 12.40 US $. But I don't think there is much difference in reality as things are more expensive in the UK than the US.

I recall the days when US workers earned far more than in UK. I don't think the UK has caught up with the US but rather that the US has gone down.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-11-24 02:08, tommy wrote:

I recall the days when US workers earned far more than in UK. I don't think the UK has caught up with the US but rather that the US has gone down.



Sad but true. American wages have been in decline since Reagan. At least for the middle class. It used to be that workers in Civil Service positions were paid less than their counterparts in the outside world. Now typically those Union protected jobs pay more than the private sector counterparts. It's not that the wages have increased. It's that the private sector wages have remained stagnate or decreased.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2012-11-23 13:36, JoeJoe wrote:
Walmart pays their employees above minimum wage and they provide health care!

Now go to your local mom and pop shop and you will discover their employees get paid less than walmart pays, and because they are "small business" they are not required to pay for their health care. That is why walmart does not have a shortage of employees, people WANT to work there!!!

-JoeJoe


Let's get one thing straight. I don't WANT to work here! I don't WANT to be standing up running a cash register for 9 hours a day.
But there's not a lot of companies in my field of expertise any more and, while they'll never acknowledge it, at 56 they don't want to hire me.
There's one other thing. Artmold got liquidated and I got left in the cold. Westinghouse went bankrupt and I got left in the cold. Several of the companies I worked for in NYC got reorganized or downsized and as last hired, I was shown the door. Walmart's not going anywhere.

As far as how well Walmart pays. It's true that after 9 years, I'm making over $11.00 an hour. (In two more years, I'll be making what Artmold was paying me when they were liquidated!) But it's also true that everyone I know here at Walmart (including at least one assistant manager) has to work a second job just to get by. (In my house, most of the family works and combines income so I don't have to try and squeeze in another job.)

And Walmart provides health care for its full time employees. But it's expensive compared to what we make hourly. (I'm not certain if part time employees are offered health care or not. But if it is, it'll be a full price while the part timer is making a lot less than I am.)
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2012-11-23 16:11, JoeJoe wrote:
These figures are not accurate - Ed already posted he makes $11.50 an hour, which is more than this site says a department manager makes.

Walmart pays what they must supply to meet their demand for employees ... that is the way it works.

-JoeJoe


I started at Artmold at $9.50 an hour in six years worked my way up to $12.30 an hour before the company was gutted by Norwood Promotions.
When I started at Walmart, it was at $7.50 an hour and after 9 years, I've worked my way up to $11.50 an hour.

You still can't argue with the fact that most Walmart employees have to work a second job and those that don't qualify for food stamps and other assistance.

I don't have to worry about either option because I have other income coming in from other sources in the family.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Acknowledging that work is a necessary evil, your choices are to work there or not to work there; "want" is limited, granted, but you want to work there more than you don't want to work there. Sort of like the saying that democracy is the worst form of government except for all the others. Walmart may not pay "enough" but if everybody else either won't hire or pays even less, then who's the bad guy company? The one that provides expensive health care, or all of the other ones who don't provide ANY because you can't get hired there?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
The position of a person who simply does not have to work there.

I do in fact HAVE to work there, I have no choice. But don't confuse that with WANTING to work there because it's such a great job.
I am grateful for the job. I just wish it didn't suck so much.

"Sure, Mussolini may be a heartless, ruthless dictator, but he's keeping the trains running on time."
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Ultimately, I think most people don't "want" (in a pure sense) to work anywhere.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-11-24 18:05, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Ultimately, I think most people don't "want" (in a pure sense) to work anywhere.


For many work gives people purpose and meaning in their lives. Otherwise most people would stop working once thy made enough money to retire on. This clearly isn't the case. As there are many people who continue on in jobs even though the have amassed enough personal wealth to comfortably live the rest of their lives on. Other continue on in low paying positions because they love their work or they feel they can make a difference. Many people after winning the lottery still continue to go to their jobs. So I think most people enjoy or simply need (in a pure sense) to work.

They just want their employers to see them as human beings and have their hard work valued. Intelligent employers recognize this and benefit financially from treating their employees with respect and provide them with a living wage, benefits and a share in the profits instead of looking on them as an expendable commodity that can be used and discarded as needed.

From http://www.iveybusinessjournal.com/topic......e-bottom

1. Understand who performs the majority of the essential work. At professional services firms, this may be lawyers or paralegals; in surgical clinics, this could include surgeons, nurses, technicians, paramedics, and individuals preparing the operating room; and in manufacturing, those working on the factory floor clearly carry out most of the essential work.

2. Realize that the firms’ success depends on the quality of the work performed by the majority of workers. Remarkably, few firms currently design their organizations to optimize the efforts of employees at the bottom of the corporate ladder—even when these employees are central to the firms’ ability to add value. At Costco, the sales staff was instrumental in ensuring the high-quality shopping experience that would draw customers to return. At Great Little Box, the company beat competitors because of its ability to respond rapidly to customized orders.

3. Recognize that the quality and productivity of employees at the bottom of the ladder depend on whether these employees are motivated, healthy, adequately rested, and well-prepared to carry out the tasks they are asked to perform. Employees at Costco were motivated to work harder and perform better by a combination of higher wages and opportunities for promotions. Great Little Box employees had a direct financial stake in the company’s performance.

4. Realize that line workers are often the ones who know best how to increase efficiency. Great Little Box benefited from suggestions from line workers that led to cost savings and greater flexibility in production. Managers at Costco had a better understanding of how to improve production because most had served as hourly workers.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Nice to see Payne cite something from (one of) my alma maters. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
So Payne ... tell me ... what about workers that:

1 do not perform the majority of the essential work,
2 whose quality of work does not contribute the the firms' success,
3 are not motivated or prepared to carry out the tasks they are asked to perform, and/or
4 hinder efficiency instead of increasing it.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16264 Posts

Profile of tommy
Call them boss?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-11-24 21:31, JoeJoe wrote:
So Payne ... tell me ... what about workers that:

1 do not perform the majority of the essential work,
2 whose quality of work does not contribute the the firms' success,
3 are not motivated or prepared to carry out the tasks they are asked to perform, and/or
4 hinder efficiency instead of increasing it.

-JoeJoe


After a proper evaluation and disciplinary process their employment should be terminated if their behaviour and productivity do not improve.

So what should be done to CEO's who,

1: Give themselves huge bonuses while their company flounders and they require the workers to make cuts to their wages and benefits?
2: Layoff employees because there was a slight drop in profits even though the company is still in the black and making money?
3: Close a store to keep their employees from joning the union?
4: Export an entire factories jobs overseas simply to make more money for thier shareholders. Even though doing so will destroy the town that said factory is in?
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2012-11-25 01:56, Payne wrote:
After a proper evaluation and disciplinary process their employment should be terminated if their behaviour and productivity do not improve.


Wrong ... then you have to pay unemployment insurance on them. It is more profitable to hire people to work part time, and if they work out you give them a raise and promote them to full time. If they don't work out, you keep them at the same pay part time in hopes that they find work elsewhere and quit. One of the complaints about Walmart ... part time workers don't get hours ... now you know why.

Costco tries to avoid this by weeding out the bad apples before hiring them in the first place, which is why it is a lot harder to get a job at Costco than it is at Walmart.

As for CEO's ... I already posted, the CEO of Hostess that gave himself a raise was fired and replaced with one that has been paid $1 since April. I think you should be asking what to do with union bosses that earn $400,000 a year who refuse to make the same concessions that the CEO made costing 18,000 people their jobs. Your nonsense looks good on paper, but is simply not based on reality.

Unions are simply out of control - just look at Detroit and you will see the damage they do.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-11-25 02:19, JoeJoe wrote:

Wrong ... then you have to pay unemployment insurance on them. It is more profitable to hire people to work part time, and if they work out you give them a raise and promote them to full time. If they don't work out, you keep them at the same pay part time in hopes that they find work elsewhere and quit. One of the complaints about Walmart ... part time workers don't get hours ... now you know why.



So you would deny someone unemployment insurance simply because they might have failed to live up to an employers expectatiions? You're a real piece of work. And you wonder why unions are still around?

Quote:

Costco tries to avoid this by weeding out the bad apples before hiring them in the first place, which is why it is a lot harder to get a job at Costco than it is at Walmart.



WRONG Smile It's a lot harder to get a job at Costco because their turnover rate is so much lower than Walmarts. Also since these are highly sought after positions because it is such a great company to work for they get a higher quality of applicant looking for work their. So they have a superior pool of workers to draw from.

Quote:

As for CEO's ... I already posted, the CEO of Hostess that gave himself a raise was fired and replaced with one that has been paid $1 since April. I think you should be asking what to do with union bosses that earn $400,000 a year who refuse to make the same concessions that the CEO made costing 18,000 people their jobs.



Which too is wrong


from http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2012/0......ankrupt/

"Rayburn announced that the pay of the four top executives would go down to $1 for the year, but that their full salaries would be reinstated no later than Jan. 1. Hostess pays Rayburn $125,000 a month, according to court filings."

Quote:

Unions are simply out of control - just look at Detroit and you will see the damage they do.



So why did Ford not suffer the same fate as Chrysler and GM. All were unionized yet Ford managed to weather the storm. It is not just the unions fault. Management too played a role in the demise of Detroit's auto industry. Their refusal to retool, modernize and make cars that the American public wanted to buy were just as, if not more, a factor in their companies demise.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I didn't write the rules, just telling you how things work in the real world. See no reason to call me a piece of anything.

In your fantasy world, people are either (1) paid to do substandard work, or (2) paid to do no work at all. And you can't see why that would fail??

If Costco hires the better candidates, then their turn over rate would naturally be lower as they have less 'weeds' to get rid of. How the company is run has nothing to do with the quality of workers applying ... any slacker is just as likely to apply there as they would Walmart. Costco is just making better hiring decisions ... Walmart should step up their game.

Rayburn made that announcement in April, so he has worked for over 7 months for $1. And I would assume that the 10% pay cut he proposed would include himself. Union boss has been paid $400,000 salary this year (taken from the workers paychecks) and not subject to any pay cuts. Your definition of fair is skewed the wrong direction. Here's a thought for you ... how about the union boss actually work for the company? To actually have a vested interest in its productivity.

Ford was also on the brink of bankruptcy so I don't know what your point is. Blaming management does not change the fact that Detroit workers are overpaid.

Quote:
it becomes clear that the UAW and Teamsters continue to think, like parasites, only of themselves and not about the host upon which they feed. The unions have played a major role in destroying an auto industry that was once the envy of the world. Even today, when GM and Chrysler are literally struggling just to exist, when GM stocks are worth only pennies and consumers are flocking to other makes and models, the unions continue to bite the hand that feeds them, demanding still more of the Big 3 in terms of unrealistic wages, benefits and gifts.


http://www.examiner.com/article/unions-d......industry



-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
How'd that big Black Friday strike at Wal-Mart work out?
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Interesting tweets from Peter Suderman of Reason Magazine.

1. Walmart’s customer base is heavily concentrated in the bottom income quintile, which spends heavily on food.

2.The bottom income quintile spends about 25 percent of income on food compared to just 3.5 percent for the top quintile.

3. So the benefits of Walmart’s substantially lower prices to the lowest earning cohort are huge, especially on food.

4. Obama adviser Jason Furman has estimated the welfare boost of Walmart’s low food prices alone is about $50b a year.

5. Walmart’s wages are about average for retail. Not amazing. But not the worst either.

6. Paying Walmart’s workers more would mean the money has to come from somewhere. But where?

7. Erase the Walmart CEO’s entire salary, and you can raise average hourly wages by just a penny or so.

8. Erase the entire Walton family fortune and you get an average $1/hour boost to Walmart workers.

9. Raise prices to pay for increased wages and you cut into the store’s huge low-price benefits for the poor. It’s regressive.

10. But what about Costco? They pay more, right? Yes, but it’s a different, smaller market.

11. Walmart’s average customer earns roughly $35k. Costco’s average customer earns about $75k.

12. Costco only has about half as many employees as Walmart. What would happen if Walmart adopted a Costco model and shrank to Costco size?

13. Not at all clear that the remaining half of Walmart workers would be better off. Many would almost certainly be worse off. Unemployed.

14. Obama econ adviser Jason Furman did a lot of the work on Walmart’s progressive benefits. His case: slate.me/R3bkc2

15. Finally, as someone who’s actually been a regular, small-town Walmart shopper, I’d like to argue for its community benefits.

16. Yes, some small stores close when Walmart opens. But in small towns, Walmart can become real community hubs – more so, because of size.

17. As for Walmart workers getting health benefits thru Medicaid, that’s due in part to a policy liberals argued for: wapo.st/axXXNE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hostess RIP » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..23~24~25 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL