The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hostess RIP » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..8..11..14..17..20..23~24~25 [Next]
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Zombieland lives!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Someday, there will just be one "Ho"...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Nobody here has yet mentioned what brought this about. I can understand how unions protect workers from being run over by the companies that they work for, but in these days of high unemployment, and tough financial times in general, I can't help but think these guys shot themselves in the foot on this one.

When I lived down south, unions were more uncommon, but here in the midwest they are much more common. I recall back in the early 1980's when the economy was in the tank, Caterpillar employees (UAW) went on strike against Cat. At the time, Cat was sitting on a surplus of product due to a bit of political Reaganomics that bleached a contract with the then USSR. So when UAW went on strike (right before Christmas BTW), Cat just walked away from the negotiation table. This left a bunch of strong-willed picketers standing around bum fires in waist deep snow, while their kids looked forward to no Christmas.

In a small way, I feel sorry for all these folks losing their jobs, but not that much.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Maybe you'll feel sorry for Hostess Execs losing their jobs... But not before giving themselves HUGE raises and hiding those raises from bankruptcy settlements. More corporate raiding laid at the feet of employees. Hoping jail time will result in the scam of these execs.

http://www.teamster.org/content/dow-jone......e’-execs

Disgusting move and the people should get to the truth and take action against any who have scammed the entire country if this is true.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Looks like a job for King Ding Dong and Twinkie the Kid!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Not anything to be made light of, laughed off, or soon forgotten.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Story from the teamsters site, quotes with no names and all alleged charges. Hmmmm.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
When it flushes out as true (there are many sources on this type of info) will your apology be forthcoming, Kevin?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
A run on Twinkies ...... only in America!
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1885 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Tom, when it's proven false, will you apologize? Since I have 20 years in the BC&T, it's closer to union BS.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Just so we get it straight, you mean the millions of dollars worth of salary increases which I have already seen documented in pretty great detail... Yup. I'll eat crow if it was that well planned and executed of a lie. Now, you are still avoiding the question... Your answer?

Are you denying these claims?

"as the company was preparing to file for bankruptcy earlier this year, the then CEO of Hostess was awarded a 300 percent raise (from approximately $750,000 to $2,550,000) and at least nine other top executives of the company received massive pay raises. One such executive received a pay increase from $500,000 to $900,000 and another received one taking his salary from $375,000 to $656,256."

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/11......obile=wt
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Just picked up the first box of Ho Hos I've bought in several years, and the last one I'll ever buy.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
As others have mentioned, other bakeries around the world already hold the license for various Hostess products. So life goes on. In Canada, for instance:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-inv......e5365001

About the strike and Hostess (U.S.) possibly shutting down. If it is true about the execs giving themselves the raises, I can see how the union members would be ****ed ... especially given the benefit cuts the employees took when Hostess (U.S.) was in and out of bankruptcy several years back:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2012......1708127/

[U]nion members took wage and benefit concessions four years ago and are unwilling to accept further wage cuts and reductions in health and pension benefits sought by the company. "It's just too much for these employees to accept. We gave concessions four years ago."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Just keep in mind that the Teamsters and other unions at Hostess didn't strike and many Teamsters even crossed the Bakers' picket lines. Moreover, various unions were very involved in the bankruptcy and restructuring. See here, and here.

At any rate, I wouldn't be surprised if Grupo Bimbo stepped in again to purchase the major brands, as it tried to do a few years ago.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Why don't we put all these bad CEO's with their top execs in charge of the tobacco industry and in a year or two we will have solved that problem? Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Is it a victory when there are no more jobs?

Quote:
BIDDEFORD, Maine — Labor leaders in Maine say the resilience of the Hostess workers on the picket line at the company’s Biddeford plant, which is in the process of being shut down after the company on Friday said it would liquidate the business, gives them inspiration in the face of what they believe have been ongoing efforts — by politicians, including Gov. Paul LePage, and corporate investors — to reduce union influence.

Bakers’ union officials and their supporters say also that the demise of Hostess Brands Inc., which failed to convince striking workers to return to their jobs, is a warning sign for corporate investors seeking to squeeze more profits out of the working class.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Where is John Galt?
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

With Trumka as the head of the Union, is like having Joe Biden taking a test for you. You're screwed.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
People that join and lean on unions to do their business are weak in mind and spirit.
Don't like the job? Get a new one, move, learn something else.
No one owes you that job in that location at a set price.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hostess RIP » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..8..11..14..17..20..23~24~25 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL