The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hostess RIP » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..23~24~25 [Next]
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I haven't made anything up - you can feel free to fact check everything I've posted.

You can start at the WDS demos site where they are seeking to hire demonstrators to work at Costco stores:

http://www.wdsdemos.com/employment/demonstrator
http://www.bohemian.com/northbay/we-are-......=2172067

Oh ... and their CEO ... $5.75 million dollars in compensation ... ranked #19th CEO in retailing .... it would seem they use the same 'flawed' business plan as Walmart and every other successful company.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
And if unions really did bring about better conditions and pay ... then one would expect Costco to have one ... which they don't.

At some point I'm hoping you realize you are being conned! Unions make things worst for employers and employees, not to mention society in general (ie: Detroit). You read about this great utopian society and want to buy into it ... its a scam!

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2012-11-27 02:59, JoeJoe wrote:

Oh ... and their CEO ... $5.75 million dollars in compensation ... ranked #19th CEO in retailing .... it would seem they use the same 'flawed' business plan as Walmart and every other successful company.


In fact ... the Walmart CEO compensation was $18 million ... Costco sold about 1/5th what Walmart did, so if you multiply the Costco CEO by 5 you realize that the Costco CEO is actually paid more than Walmart's CEO!!!

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Payne,

Quote:
Wal-Mart is already responsible for forcing companies to move thousands of high paying manufacturing jobs off shore for the sole purpose of obtaining goods at the lowest possible prices.


Wal-Mart doesn't force anybody to do anything. Sam Walton developed a business model for a retail store catering primarily to lower income people. His selling point was low prices. He was able to achieve low prices by managing inventory better than anybody else in retail. He succeeded because his customers would rather pay low prices at Wal-Mart rather than higher prices anywhere else. Nobody is forced to buy at Wal-Mart, to work for Wal-Mart, or to sell products to Wal-Mart. If Wal-Mart did not deliver what its customers want, it would go out of business, and fast.

Hi JoeJoe,

Thanks for your comments on Costco. As you've said, I think, Costco is not a competitor to Wal-Mart, it serves an entirely different clientele. The average Wal-Mart ticket is less than $100, the average Costco ticket is more than $300. The business plan is different and the merchandise and the customers are different. But if Costco does not deliver to its customers what they want, it too will disappear.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
Is it true that Walmart is owned by the International Monetary Fund (IMF)?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2012-11-27 03:06, JoeJoe wrote:
And if unions really did bring about better conditions and pay ... then one would expect Costco to have one ... which they don't.


Bad logic. If unions bring about better conditions and pay, it does not follow that only under union conditions will this happen. Smoking does cause cancer, but so do other things.

Quote:
At some point I'm hoping you realize you are being conned! Unions make things worst for employers and employees, not to mention society in general (ie: Detroit). You read about this great utopian society and want to buy into it ... its a scam!

-JoeJoe


You have yet to provide evidence of this proposition. Only a fool would think that every union under every condition has precisely the same level of benefit or harm to employees.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-11-27 02:59, JoeJoe wrote:
I haven't made anything up - you can feel free to fact check everything I've posted.

You can start at the WDS demos site where they are seeking to hire demonstrators to work at Costco stores:

http://www.wdsdemos.com/employment/demonstrator
http://www.bohemian.com/northbay/we-are-......=2172067


If you actually read the articlee you posted you would know that these are contracted employees. They do not work for, nor are paid by Costco. They do piece work amounting to a few hours a week. The jobs are targeted at retirees and people entering the workforce as a form of supplimental income not as a full time position.

They still earn twice the $3 or $4 an hour that contratcors at Walmart make.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/03/......ars-hour

Quote:
Oh ... and their CEO ... $5.75 million dollars in compensation ... ranked #19th CEO in retailing ....


Again you're just making crap up. Thje CEO of Costco makes $350,000 a year http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post......log.html
"And yet, he has none of the trappings of success. Sinegal, who no doubt has become wealthy through Costco, makes about a third the pay of an average CEO. His salary is $350,000 a year, a fraction of the $1 million that’s common for most Fortune 100 CEOs. And his total take-home pay amounted to about $3.5 million in 2010 — a nice sum, to be sure, but again, far smaller than the median $9.3 million."

A drop in the bucket compared to Walmarts CEOs whopping 18.1 million dollar salary.

http://www.toledoblade.com/business/2012......011.html

Quote:
it would seem they use the same 'flawed' business plan as Walmart and every other successful company.

-JoeJoe


Actually Costco's business plan appears to be superior to Walmarts as Costco's profits are increasing while Walmarts are in decline

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.asp......0f8c72a5
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-11-27 03:06, JoeJoe wrote:
And if unions really did bring about better conditions and pay ... then one would expect Costco to have one ... which they don't.


There are Unionized Costco Stores

http://www.teamster.org/content/costco-w......together

Unlike Walmart who closes store that threaten to orgainize

http://zerodivision.ca/wal-mart-closes-union-shop-again

"Wal-Mart Canada has closed a unionized tire and lube shop in Gatineau, Quebec, 2 months after the employees were granted their first ever collective agreement. This past August, an arbitrator imposed the contract which Wal-Mart says it is unable to operate under due to a 33 percent wage increase which they say would lead to rising costs for the customer. The 33 percent wage increase would bring the employees pay up to $13.76/hour."

Quote:

At some point I'm hoping you realize you are being conned! Unions make things worst for employers and employees, not to mention society in general (ie: Detroit). You read about this great utopian society and want to buy into it ... its a scam!

-JoeJoe


Actually my union is doing quite well for me and my employer. After the crash of 08 Management threatened layoffs. The union stepped in and nefgotiated a temporary decrease in benefits as well as unpaid flex time. This kept the layoffs to a bare minimum. Had the union not been there far more people would have been put out of work. Working together we got through the bad patch and have rehired most of the layed off employees. The union benefitted both the employer and the employee. So tell me again how bad unions are.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-11-27 11:50, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-27 02:59, JoeJoe wrote:
I haven't made anything up - you can feel free to fact check everything I've posted.

You can start at the WDS demos site where they are seeking to hire demonstrators to work at Costco stores:

http://www.wdsdemos.com/employment/demonstrator
http://www.bohemian.com/northbay/we-are-......=2172067


If you actually read the articlee you posted you would know that these are contracted employees. They do not work for, nor are paid by Costco. They do piece work amounting to a few hours a week. The jobs are targeted at retirees and people entering the workforce as a form of supplimental income not as a full time position.

They still earn twice the $3 or $4 an hour that contratcors at Walmart make.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/03/......ars-hour

Quote:
Oh ... and their CEO ... $5.75 million dollars in compensation ... ranked #19th CEO in retailing ....


Again you're just making crap up. Thje CEO of Costco makes $350,000 a year http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post......log.html
"And yet, he has none of the trappings of success. Sinegal, who no doubt has become wealthy through Costco, makes about a third the pay of an average CEO. His salary is $350,000 a year, a fraction of the $1 million that’s common for most Fortune 100 CEOs. And his total take-home pay amounted to about $3.5 million in 2010 — a nice sum, to be sure, but again, far smaller than the median $9.3 million."

A drop in the bucket compared to Walmarts CEOs whopping 18.1 million dollar salary.

http://www.toledoblade.com/business/2012......011.html

Quote:
it would seem they use the same 'flawed' business plan as Walmart and every other successful company.

-JoeJoe


Actually Costco's business plan appears to be superior to Walmarts as Costco's profits are increasing while Walmarts are in decline

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.asp......0f8c72a5


I guess the writer didn't think the readers would be interested in hearing how his total take home pay is ten times as much as his salary.

I kinda was.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-11-27 03:14, JoeJoe wrote:

In fact ... the Walmart CEO compensation was $18 million ... Costco sold about 1/5th what Walmart did, so if you multiply the Costco CEO by 5 you realize that the Costco CEO is actually paid more than Walmart's CEO!!!

-JoeJoe


This is almost cute, if it wasn't so sad. You're the same mathematician that predicted the Rommney landslide aren't you. Smile

Walmart CEO Salary = $18,000,000

Costco CEO Salary = $350,000

350000 X 5 = $1,750,000

So even by your tragically skewed logic Costco's CEO makes far, far less than Walmart's

I don't have too much difficulty with multi-million dollar salaries. Even though I don't think anyone is worth that kind of money. My problem with exurbanite compensation is when it is made at the expense of their impoverished employees. Or worse, bestowed upon them after driving the company into the ground.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I wonder if Walmart's CEO's total take-home pay is $180,000,000.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2012-11-27 09:06, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Bad logic. If unions bring about better conditions and pay, it does not follow that only under union conditions will this happen. Smoking does cause cancer, but so do other things.


Does smoking cure cancer? No. And you say my logic is flawed - haha



Quote:
On 2012-11-27 11:50, Payne wrote:
If you actually read the articlee you posted you would know that these are contracted employees. They do not work for, nor are paid by Costco.


I read the article perfectly ... you didn't read what I wrote.

When Walmart says "42% of their employees have health care", they are including their demonstrators. When Costco says "82% of our employees have health care" they are NOT including their demonstrators. Employees that work AT Costco, but not FOR Costco. Is there really a difference? If you want an accurate comparison, you would need to include all demonstrators that work at the stores regardless of who they work for.

They are cooking the books so that their press release looks better than Walmart's and you are falling for it.



Quote:
On 2012-11-27 11:50, Payne wrote:

Again you're just making crap up. Thje CEO of Costco makes $350,000 a year


More out-of-date data. Craig Jelinek is the current CEO of Costco; James Sinegal has retired. Jelinek's salary is $1.06 million, he gets a $2.19 million bonus, and another .85 million for a total of $5.75 million ... which is a higher percentage of sales than Walmart's CEO earns.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2012/12/ceo-......LK2.html



That is the second time you have falsely accused me of lying ... please stop.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-11-27 06:56, Woland wrote:
Hi Payne,

Quote:
Wal-Mart is already responsible for forcing companies to move thousands of high paying manufacturing jobs off shore for the sole purpose of obtaining goods at the lowest possible prices.


Wal-Mart doesn't force anybody to do anything. Sam Walton developed a business model for a retail store catering primarily to lower income people. His selling point was low prices. He was able to achieve low prices by managing inventory better than anybody else in retail. He succeeded because his customers would rather pay low prices at Wal-Mart rather than higher prices anywhere else. Nobody is forced to buy at Wal-Mart, to work for Wal-Mart, or to sell products to Wal-Mart. If Wal-Mart did not deliver what its customers want, it would go out of business, and fast.

Hi JoeJoe,

Thanks for your comments on Costco. As you've said, I think, Costco is not a competitor to Wal-Mart, it serves an entirely different clientele. The average Wal-Mart ticket is less than $100, the average Costco ticket is more than $300. The business plan is different and the merchandise and the customers are different. But if Costco does not deliver to its customers what they want, it too will disappear.


Quite right, forced was a poor choice in words. I should have used strong-armed, coerced or enticed. The heads of theose companies lured totheir ultimate demise by Walmarts Siren Song did so willingly. But like most deals with the devil they ended up with the short side of the stick and were done in by their greed.

Fortunately there are some business owners out there made of stronger stuff. they put quality over quantity and people over profits. It's not the person who makes the most money that is the most successful.

http://www.fastcompany.com/54763/man-who-said-no-wal-mart
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-11-27 12:30, JoeJoe wrote:

Craig Jelinek is the current CEO of Costco; James Sinegal has retired.


Well, this is awkward.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-11-27 12:30, JoeJoe wrote:

More out-of-date data. Craig Jelinek is the current CEO of Costco; James Sinegal has retired. Jelinek's salary is $1.06 million, he gets a $2.19 million bonus, and another .85 million for a total of $5.75 million ... which is a higher percentage of sales than Walmart's CEO earns.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2012/12/ceo-......LK2.html

That is the second time you have falsely accused me of lying ... please stop.

-JoeJoe


Sorry, I was unaware that my Information was so far out of date.

Yet Costco making 5 times less than Walmart still can keep its employees salary higher than that of their impoverished counterparts at Walmart. So why can Costco manage to do this whereas Walmart can't? Or should I say won't.

perhaps it is thier business model http://hbr.org/2006/12/the-high-cost-of-low-wages/ar/1

Your still mistaken about contract employees. They do not work for Costco. Much likwe if you have your carpets cleeaned. The guy who comes over to shampoo your rugs doesn't work for you. He's employeed by the carpet cleaning service. Even though he's AT your HOUSE he doesn't work FOR you.

I used to do contract work and know how demeaning and frustrating it can be. But it did lead me in to getting my current position. I'm sure some who conttract for Costco have had the same opportunities.

Costco is far from being the perfect business. But virtually everyone agrees that it is a far better company to work for than most.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2012-11-27 12:46, Payne wrote:
Sorry, I was unaware that my Information was so far out of date.


Apology accepted. Smile



Quote:
On 2012-11-27 12:46, Payne wrote:
However by your logic Costco employees salary is a far higher percentage of Costco's sales than that of their impoverished counterparts at Walmart. So why can Costco manage to do this whereas Walmart can't? Or should I say won't.


It is called a "free market". If it works out for Costco, you can expect Walmart to copy. And visa-versa. The best methods of production and distribution rise to the top which benefits all of society.



Quote:
Your still mistaken about contract employees. They do not work for Costco.


I am not mistaken, you are just not following my logic. Imagine tomorrow Walmart announces they are going to lay off all of their demonstrators and contract that out to another company. Afterwards, the percentage of employees that are covered by health care will rise ... and the average pay for their employees would also rise.

There is a reason Costco contracts those positions instead of filling them themselves, so they can say they pay employees more than Walmart and provide more benefits than Walmart. If all things were equal, I'll speculate the numbers are a lot closer than their press release reads.



-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2012-11-27 11:59, Payne wrote:
Actually my union is doing quite well for me and my employer. After the crash of 08 Management threatened layoffs. The union stepped in and nefgotiated a temporary decrease in benefits as well as unpaid flex time. This kept the layoffs to a bare minimum. Had the union not been there far more people would have been put out of work. Working together we got through the bad patch and have rehired most of the layed off employees. The union benefitted both the employer and the employee. So tell me again how bad unions are.


That could have been done that without a union.

Walmart already has a union, it is called the US Federal Government. They set a minimum wage, mandate overtime pay, set safety standards, there are courts to settle disputes, etc etc etc. Adding another layer of red tape only hinders productivity.

Take Hostess for example ... they had to negotiate deals with 12 unions! TWELVE UNIONS!!! No wonder the company was so unproductive.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
This article indicates that Walmart outsourced its product demonstrators a couple of years back, at least at Sam's Club:

http://articles.marketwatch.com/2010-01-......t-shares
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Well, actually, maybe Sam's Club was the holdout ...

http://voices.yahoo.com/walmart-clown-co......531.html

It was recently announced that Sam's Club - one of the sister stores to Walmart - is going to close 10 underperforming stores, meaning that 1,500 jobs will be lost. In addition, product demonstrators - the people that hand you free samples of food when you go in to the warehouse locations - will be outsourced.

WALMART STORES ALREADY OUTSOURCE their product demonstrators; however Sam's Club always employed their own. Displaced workers will be able to apply for jobs with the new company, although obtaining a job isn't guaranteed. This job loss is around 10,000.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
FatHatter
View Profile
Regular user
I'm here you're there and that's that.
137 Posts

Profile of FatHatter
Quote:
On 2012-11-26 22:19, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-26 12:32, FatHatter wrote:
Quote:

I do in fact HAVE to work there, I have no choice.


I'm wondering the caliber of the gun they hold to your head?
I'm glad I don't HAVE to do anything, especially work at some specific job, but I've got this whole freedom thing going on that is working out real well for me. I live the consequences of my decisions but they are my decisions. Not living by the will of a union boss or some other group think B.S.

Freedom & Responsibility. I wish more would give them a shot.


The caliber of the gun is financial. I'm 57 years old. I am not hireable (sp) period. If I don't have Walmart, I have no paycheck.
I don't know what you do for a living. But I am not you. I am not going to be able to develop my own company or become some sort of independent worker.


I agree, you won't.
You need a union of people such as yourself, the WCDI, We Can't Do It!
Some one HAS to do it for us cause we can't do it.
It's financial. The power of a piece of official paper calls our shots, makes our fate, seals our future.
We are bound by it. Powerless to even struggle against it because We Can't Do It!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hostess RIP » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..23~24~25 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL