The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hostess RIP » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..23~24~25 [Next]
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"A capitalist does not want his factory to burn down, that is not profitable. When a person owns a resource, he protects it."

Not exactly true is it? business burn for the insurance money all the time.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2917 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-11-28 11:04, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-28 02:33, magicalaurie wrote:
Why is Walmart outsourcing these jobs to Bangladesh, Lobo? To companies they know are employing workers in high risk hazardous facilities? Fire breaks out. Walmart runs away. How come?


Maybe they were trying to improve the lifes of the Bangladeshies by providing them jobs. Very altruistic wouldn't you say? Smile


Outsourcing was the wrong word, I understand. It was 2:30 a.m. and you guys know what I meant. Rockwall, that thought crossed my mind but you missed "Fire breaks out. Walmart runs away." How altruistic is it for them to abandon their aid project the second people start to ask what their connection was?

Pot Kettle, Joe Joe.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2917 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-11-28 10:53, Payne wrote:
"But Walton's ability to keep his staff happy also relied on a sense of when to let penny-pinching take a backseat to other priorities...."

"But it wasn't just Wal-Mart's image that began to change after Walton's death. It was also the way the company did business. Wal-Mart's new leaders took to heart one element of the founder's business philosophy--the importance of reducing costs--but they didn't show his intuition about the importance of making employees feel as though they had a stake in the company. They were already at a disadvantage as it was. Wal-Mart's rate of growth was impressive but slower than in its early years--the inevitable result of becoming so big--and this weakened the appeal of such incentives as stock ownership. But character also played a role. The company's focus on saving money was leading it to make unrealistic demands of local managers, particularly with regard to payroll, and this pressure would eventually lead to serious trouble."

"The answer is that Wal-Mart really is different. In terms of annual revenue, Wal-Mart is nearly four times the size of The Home Depot, the country's second largest retailer, and almost twice the size of Target, Costco, and Sears (which includes Kmart) combined. That means the company exerts pressure on the entire sector to imitate its methods--including its treatment of workers. That would be less worrisome if Wal-Mart's record didn't stand out within the sector. But there are strong indications that, when it comes to how it treats its employees, Wal-Mart really is worse than the rest. The company finds itself in trouble because, since the death of Sam Walton 14 years ago, something ugly has happened to the way it does business...."



Here's another link to a story about the fire: http://www.leaderpost.com/news/Disney+Se......ory.html
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2917 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Another: http://channels.isp.netscape.com/pf/stor......9535.htm

"...Mustafizur Rahman, executive director of the Center for Policy Dialogue, Bangladesh's leading independent think tank, said there is 'hypocrisy' among buyers who 'talk about ethical buying and ethical sourcing, but when it comes to price they refuse to offer a good rate. They often go to less compliant factories for a cheaper rate. Being compliant is not cheap.'..."
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Payne,

Thanks for those nice anecdotes about Sam Walton. It is interesting to see that the business model responsible for the largest employer in the US was the result, at least in part, of one man's idiosyncrasies as much as from impersonal logic. And the loss of a founder is a traumatic event for many enterprises.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"It is interesting to see that the business model responsible for the largest employer in the US was the result,"

Actually the largest employer in the US is the department of defense.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thanks, Slide. Largest private employer, then.

Meanwhile, anybody notice what the people's favorite, Costco, is up to?

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/28/investing/costco-dividend/
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-11-28 07:17, Woland wrote:


Why do you think Sam Walton wouldn't recognize his company today, Bob?


The article quoted by Payne pretty well answers that question. The major difference is that Walton actually cared about the happiness and involvement of his employees.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Unless I am mistaken, most of the managers and even executives at Wal-Mart worked their way up from entry-level positions. That's not surprising, really, when you consider how rapidly and how much the company has grown.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2012-11-28 14:59, Slide wrote:
"It is interesting to see that the business model responsible for the largest employer in the US was the result,"

Actually the largest employer in the US is the department of defense.


Which made me wonder about the value of stimulus spending in the US--seems to me that the spending on defense is a continual source of stimulus. But what do I know?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"seems to me that the spending on defense is a continual source of stimulus. "

It is also a continual source of deficit creation.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Walmart's own internal documents, recently leaked, show systemic limitations on advancement within the company.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/16......086.html
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Bob,

That's quite an interesting article . . . but it does not address promotions from entry-level to management level jobs, it describes the pay steps for hourly and part-time employees. Does it surprise you that a cashier can't expect to earn $100 an hour, even after 25 years of service?

This was, I thought, the most interesting paragraph:

Quote:
Lisa's experience sheds light on why a group claiming to represent tens of thousands of Walmart workers nationwide is planning strikes and other labor actions at as many as 1,000 stores next week on Black Friday, the biggest shopping day of the year. The actions are intended to protest what the group says are meager wages.


What happened to those "tens of thousands of Walmart workers nationwide" anyway?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
So taking inflation into account: The longer you work at Wall-Mart the less you get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIfu2A0ezq0
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Inflation affects everyone, tommy. It is a hidden tax, and can be devastating. But it isn't caused by Wal-Mart; in fact, Wal-Mart's low prices keep inflation down. In the name of helping the working man, the governments that debase their currencies do quite a lot of harm.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
Giant supermarkets make money thus: You might think the idea is to buy and sell goods at a profit? No! It's a cash flow business and the idea is to buy goods on interest free credit, lets say 90 days or longer. When you buy big you have the power to demand terms. You sell them good at cost + overheads. In the meantime you invest the takings in the market. It is like loansharkings other people money out. The competition - mum and pop - can not live with it as they try and sell at a profit. Who pays the big is we the people. Money never sleeps. Wake up! It's time to go to work.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Woland-

The article DOES address movement from entry level to management jobs:

Quote:
Walmart often points to managers as examples of what can be attained within the vast company, highlighting how minimum wage-earning associates can reasonably aspire to six-figure careers.

"Nearly three-quarters of our store management teams started out in hourly positions," a spokesman told The Huffington Post in October.

But the ratio of salaried positions to hourly ones is small. At the retired manager’s store, about 200 hourly associates reported to a handful of salaried managers. Few can reasonably expect to secure middle class salaries, according to the workers, making prospects more like a lottery than a reliable career path.

Walmart’s hourly workers are far more likely to wind up like the 30-year-old sales associate in Mississippi who told HuffPost he makes just $8.65 an hour after three years with the company.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-11-28 18:38, mastermindreader wrote:
Woland-

The article DOES address movement from entry level to management jobs:

Quote:
Walmart often points to managers as examples of what can be attained within the vast company, highlighting how minimum wage-earning associates can reasonably aspire to six-figure careers.

"Nearly three-quarters of our store management teams started out in hourly positions," a spokesman told The Huffington Post in October.

But the ratio of salaried positions to hourly ones is small. At the retired manager’s store, about 200 hourly associates reported to a handful of salaried managers. Few can reasonably expect to secure middle class salaries, according to the workers, making prospects more like a lottery than a reliable career path.

Walmart’s hourly workers are far more likely to wind up like the 30-year-old sales associate in Mississippi who told HuffPost he makes just $8.65 an hour after three years with the company.



Wouldn't these numbers be in order with just about any business for profit? Not everyone is capable of being a department manager much less manage the entire store. That is why they make more than others. They have the skills and intelligence along with the DESIRE to succeed. The only place one sees people geting paid for just being there for x number of years and being rewarded for this is in a non profit enviornment.

Did you stop to wonder why the individual that after 3 years is only making what he is making? What are other individuals that started when he did making now and why? I am sure some have left, some have been asked to leave and some are making more and probably none are making less. WHY? Well if you are the manager of said store you should have an answer to this question. I would imagine it would go something like this. Those making more are dependable, they show up on time, they do what is expected of them they help others accomplish their tasks. Then there are those who do less than is expected and have not goten a good review in 3 years of employment. Well those doing more and producing more should be compensated more.

One should not be expected to be paid more just because they are there for 3 years. It is like the man asking for a raise because his wife is going to have a baby. Why should that warrant a raise? If he went to his employer and said I am producing more than x and y and I have been an asset to the company I feel that I deserve a raise and these things are true, that is a legitmate reason for a raise. However because your wife is going to have a baby is not a valid reason for a raise. If that was the case just keep having kids and saying I need a raise.

The individual after working there for 3 years with the low wage is making that wage for a reason. Others working there for the same amount of time are making more. That reason is probably because that is what he is worth to the company. If he were to leave tomorrow no one would miss him. However if the person who has been there for the same amount of time and is making more because of their contributions to the company decides to leave tomorrow they will probably be missed. There is a very simple fact in any business and that is: if you wish to be suscessful, surround yourself with good people.

In a profit oriented system you get paid for what you know or what you do. You don't get increases in pay just for showing up for x number of years. There is a word for that but lets not go there. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Acesover-

I suggest you read the article as well as the Walmart internal document (which is included in the piece). What you are talking about has nothing whatsoever to do with their internal pay and promotion policies.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2917 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
"...But the new system also produced another effect, according to some Walmart workers: Those who previously made higher wages quickly became targets for elimination and replacement by lower-wage workers.

'In my store, all of those people making more money got transferred to overnight shifts,' said the retired store manager. 'They found ways to get rid of them. So they thinned out pretty quick.'

Overall, he added, 'people make less money now.'..."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hostess RIP » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..23~24~25 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL