The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hostess RIP » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21..23~24~25 [Next]
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2918 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 14:12, mastermindreader wrote:
The fact is that too many companies outsource production to countries where there are no building codes, inspectors, worker safety rules, etc. And it is done simply to save costs. The same reasons that were used for slave labor.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 10:22, tommy wrote:
$1.8 million don't go far these days.

Que será, será sara casm

Doesn't matter how far it goes. The managers in charge should hardly be rewarded for steering the ship onto the shoals.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 13:04, JoeJoe wrote:
Reading this article, you see the real problems with this factory - which have virtually nothing to do with Walmart. This would not have happened in America, as we have building codes and inspectors:

owner-of-bangladeshi-factory-at-center-o......-needed/

-JoeJoe

That was acually a point I was trying to make. The fact is that too many companies outsource production to countries where there are no building codes, inspectors, worker safety rules, etc. And it is done simply to save costs. The same reasons that were used for slave labor.

Union Carbide in Bhopal comes to mind.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
That was acually a point I was trying to make. The fact is that too many companies outsource production to countries where there are no building codes, inspectors, worker safety rules, etc. And it is done simply to save costs. The same reasons that were used for slave labor.

The solution is for their governments to establish building codes, inspectors, worker safety rules, etc.

Walmart is not "saving costs" when they have to do these things for themselves - they did inspect that factory (which cost them money), and stopped purchasing from it when it failed that inspection - which also cost them money since a middleman got thrown into the mix.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 10:43, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 06:35, mastermindreader wrote:
It's true that Walmart didn't control the Bangladesh sweatshop that burned to the ground in a fire reminiscent of the Triangle Shirtwaist fire of 1911. But Walmart was nonetheless aware of the conditions at the factory, and by contracting them to produce clothing, knowing that it would be made under conditions that have (since the Triangle fire) been outlawed in the United States, was, in my opinion, just as disgraceful as it would have been to outsource production to countries that utilized slave labor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_Sh......ory_fire

So in effect you are saying that Walmart should bully all their suppliers as to how they should run and organize their plants.

I remember an article [which I probably won't be able to find now] concerning a bicycle manufacturer who had to turn down an opportunity to manufacturer higher level bikes because Walmart demanded they increase their volume of low-level bikes that WM was selling. Since Wally-world was about 30 percent of their business, they got their way.

So it seems to me, Wally-world is perfectly capable of bullying people and telling them how to run their business, when it's in Wally-world's best interests.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 15:09, magicalaurie wrote:
Objection, your Honour, badgering the witness- she was asleep and Council's missing the point. Magicalaurie is not singling out anyone:

Over ruled ... you are still avoiding the question. I did not ask why Walmart should be responsible, nor did I ask if we were enslaved.

If you purchase a dress from a store, and the store burns down a week later ... how is it your fault? Why should you be held responsible for the fire??

-JoeJoe
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2918 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
JoeJoe, the question has been answered at least twice before. Again I say badgering the witness, your Honour.

For the third time, Walmart, and others like them, are complicit in this:

Another: http://channels.isp.netscape.com/pf/stor......9535.htm

Quote:
On 2012-11-28 14:26, magicalaurie wrote:
Another: http://channels.isp.netscape.com/pf/stor......9535.htm

"...Mustafizur Rahman, executive director of the Center for Policy Dialogue, Bangladesh's leading independent think tank, said there is 'hypocrisy' among buyers who 'talk about ethical buying and ethical sourcing, but when it comes to price they refuse to offer a good rate. They often go to less compliant factories for a cheaper rate. Being compliant is not cheap.'..."

Sustained!
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 15:28, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 10:43, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 06:35, mastermindreader wrote:
It's true that Walmart didn't control the Bangladesh sweatshop that burned to the ground in a fire reminiscent of the Triangle Shirtwaist fire of 1911. But Walmart was nonetheless aware of the conditions at the factory, and by contracting them to produce clothing, knowing that it would be made under conditions that have (since the Triangle fire) been outlawed in the United States, was, in my opinion, just as disgraceful as it would have been to outsource production to countries that utilized slave labor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_Sh......ory_fire

So in effect you are saying that Walmart should bully all their suppliers as to how they should run and organize their plants.

I remember an article [which I probably won't be able to find now] concerning a bicycle manufacturer who had to turn down an opportunity to manufacturer higher level bikes because Walmart demanded they increase their volume of low-level bikes that WM was selling. Since Wally-world was about 30 percent of their business, they got their way.

So it seems to me, Wally-world is perfectly capable of bullying people and telling them how to run their business, when it's in Wally-world's best interests.

If you believe that Walmart is the only company in the world that does that to manufactuers you are rather naive. Also it would have to be a pretty dumb CEO to get tied up with a Company as big as Walmart and not be expected to have to make some consessions. However it was probably in the comnpany's best interest to produce what Walmart wanted because of how much they purchase, that is if they still use them. That my friend is how big business operates.

I have a very close friend in the pizza business who makes and distributes pizza shells and frozen pizza and turned down a Private Label deal in our area with Acme Super Markets because it would be half of his business and he had to expand to meet their production needs and knew he would be at their mercy. The money at the time was huge but his reasoning was correct as they would become his boss in the end.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 15:59, magicalaurie wrote:
For the third time, Walmart, and others like them, are complicit in this:

I did not ask about of "Walmart" ... I asked about YOU. If you buy something at a store, and the store burns down a week later ... how you YOU complicit?? My question has absolutely nothing to do with Walmart what-so-ever.

-JoeJor
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2918 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 16:00, acesover wrote:
If you believe that Walmart is the only company in the world that does that to manufactuers you are rather naive.

So, you already knew Walmart does this, afterall?

You just got played... by you, acesover.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 15:10, magicalaurie wrote:
Quote:
The fact is that too many companies outsource production to countries where there are no building codes, inspectors, worker safety rules, etc. And it is done simply to save costs. The same reasons that were used for slave labor.

Your post is only part of the truth. Companies outsource to be competitive so they can pass on the savings to the end user and still make a profit. When given the chance the consumer will purchase the same quality item at a less expensive price 95% of the time no matter where it is manufactured. If you don't believe me check out your wardrobe including shoes, pants, shirts, etc. and see where they are made. Just like hiring a contractor to put up a building. Union carpenders are going to cost more to hire by the contractor so his labor costs are higher and he must pass those costs on to the ones that are having the structure built. I am not making any judgements on this just stating, that is the nature of the constsruction business.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2918 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 11:13, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 11:05, Slide wrote:
"So in effect you are saying that Walmart should bully all their suppliers as to how they should run and organize their plants. "

You don't know too much about the way walmart works, do you.

Are you talking to anyone in paticular? Not sure what post you are referring or to whom you are referring. If you are referring to my post you obviously do not comprehend what you read. Because I say just the opposite.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2918 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Objection, your Honour, magicalaurie is not synonymous with Walmart or any other corporate retailer. Council is aware of this and yet continues to badger the witness. Council is out of order, your Honour.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
It is not a question of if Walmart was or was not responsible ... it is a question about you. It has absolutely nothing to do with Walmart what-so-ever.

Is your answer that you are responsible ... or that you are not responsible??

-JoeJoe
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2918 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
JoeJoe, you can't use me to make this point. Objection was sustained a ways back there, see? Use yourself, why don't you?
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I already did.

Quote:
On 2012-11-28 23:27, JoeJoe wrote:
If I buy a dozen Wiffle Ball Bats to sell in my store ... and their factory burns down ... am I responsible?? No.

-JoeJoe

-JoeJoe
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2918 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
That settles nothing on this issue. You're not a corporate retailer.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
You want to talk about me rolling my eyes, then I'd like for you to answer the same question.

-JoeJoe
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
And there is no difference in me and a corporate retailer - I sell things at flea markets made in China, so do corporate retailers. Corporations are owned by people - little old ladies that worked their entire life investing their money into retirement funds. You call her an evil shareholder, I call her grandma.

-JoeJoe
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2918 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
JoeJoe, you're off mark, here. You and I are individuals. I do not have the power Walmart and other retailers have to suppress suppliers' prices. I am concerned about my responsibility in my buying choices, however. You see, I know what it's like to work like a dog for someone who'd like to drive you down as far as they can get away with. So you won't like my answer- it's not the one you're betting on. It's you who are being evasive. These points have been strongly emphasized in this thread. You're ignoring them. I don't call anyone evil, JoeJoe. Knock it off.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hostess RIP » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21..23~24~25 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL