The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hostess RIP » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..21~22~23~24~25 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2012-12-02 14:53, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-12-02 13:48, Payne wrote:
I have offered solutions. Allow the workers at Walmart to unionize.

Don't you mean, "Force the workers at Walmart to unionize."?

If they wanted to, they could. The majority of them don't want to.

Walmart "allows" its workers to unionize in China, South Africa, the U.K., Brazil, and in some other countries with no repercussions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/con......924.html

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/06......untries/

Not so in North America.

"Attempts to organize at almost 5,000 Wal-Marts in North America have mostly failed. Workers at one store in Quebec have organized. Last year, the company closed a store in Jonquiere, Quebec, after workers there voted to unionize. The company said the store was not profitable. In 2000, a store in Jacksonville, Tex., switched to prepackaged meat after butchers voted to organize."

Not much point in unionizing if the employer routinely eliminates the jobs of those who do.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"your statement points out that "when Unions were doing their job" companies were more productive, and could afford to give them higher wages and benefits. "

Joejoe, have you ever been a member of a union?
Have you ever founded a company that unionized?
Have you ever founded a company?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Union
1410, "action of joining one thing to another," from O.Fr. union (12c.), from L.L. unionem (nom. unio) "oneness, unity, a uniting," also in L. meaning "a single pearl or onion," from unus "one," from PIE *oinos (see one). Sense of "action of uniting into one political body"
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Now look up "labor union," because THAT'S what we're talking about.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It seems to me there is no real difference between companies and unions as they are both just bodies of people doing business with each other and all this "them and us" is BS.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
So are you saying there is no real difference between employees and employers because they are both just groups of people?
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-11-30 18:21, mastermindreader wrote:
If you ever want to write lines for my show, let me know. Smile

I'd be honoured to, Bob. Let me know if you need some. Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Quote:
On 2012-12-02 16:48, mastermindreader wrote:
So are you saying there is no real difference between employees and employers because they are both just groups of people?

No.

Tommy
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Tommy,

Based on a number of your posts recently, I can only assume you are very very young. Teenager? I'd hit the books a little harder, son.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I can read you like a comic.

Tommy
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Payne,

Quote:
until corporations can be trusted to put people above profits

Where's the contradiction? A corporation's profits go to support the people who founded it, invested in it, and work for it. They are all people.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"I can read you like a comic."

There is more to the world than Archie and Jughead,son.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2012-12-02 15:50, Slide wrote:
Joejoe, have you ever been a member of a union?
Have you ever founded a company that unionized?
Have you ever founded a company?

You don't need six figures to see whats going on - it's basic common sense:

Walmart = productive = growth
Unions = unproductive = decline

By shutting down Hostess, the unions just lost another 18,500 members. If they continue to make such poor decisions, they will eventually have no workers left to protect.

Payne can try to blame this on the government, but that is just more nonsense. The judge (government) wanted the baker's union to work out a deal ... they refused. You can't squeeze blood from a turnip - duh!

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
What does that have to do with the question.

Pretty simple: have you ever been in a union. I'm assuming by your answer : NO
Have you ever founded a company that unionized: I assume again NO.
Have you ever founded a company? Again, I assume No.

Basic common sense says that you don't have the experience or knowledge to speak intelligently about the situation. In other words, you are talking through your hat.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
You don't know anything about my background, nor do I want it publicly posted as it's really nobody else's business. This is just more attempts to polarize the conversation ... add facts or something of value ... attacks on me are unwarranted unwanted and unwelcomed.

-JoeJoe
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
If you have no experience, you can't have an intelligent discussion. That is just a fact. You have no way of knowing if a union makes things more productive or less. If it increases profits or lessens them. You don't even know what creates productivity gains, which have nothing to do with unions by the way.

You just don't know what you are talking about.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Saying that you don't have enough experience to understand the situation is not an attack. If someone told me I don't know enough about physics to talk intelligently about it, I'd agree with them, I wouldn't say they were attacking me. I'm sure you have many other fine qualities. Understanding the nuances of business is just not one of them.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
You have no facts to support a differing opinion, so you have to attack me instead. At this point you are wasting my time.

-JoeJoe
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-12-02 20:26, Slide wrote:
If you have no experience, you can't have an intelligent discussion. That is just a fact. You have no way of knowing if a union makes things more productive or less. If it increases profits or lessens them. You don't even know what creates productivity gains, which have nothing to do with unions by the way.

You just don't know what you are talking about.

I am just curious and I am sure you can quote an instance as you mentioned it.

Could you please show where a union has increased profit for a company on a product or an increase in profits for the companty in the long run. I would be interested in these facts of yours.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-12-02 19:12, Slide wrote:
"I can read you like a comic."

There is more to the world than Archie and Jughead,son.

Don't you mean? There is more to the world than Archie and Jughead, Dude.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hostess RIP » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..21~22~23~24~25 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL