The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hostess RIP » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..23~24~25 [Next]
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
I feel unions have their place, but in many instances they go to far. I used to work for the Salem Fire Department. A job that allegedly ended in my Termination for deploying to Iraq, and subsequently landed in Federal Court. ( http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northw......les.html )

Aside from no protection or representation from the union that I paid dues into......the union also protected the jobs of individuals who were no longer fit to perform their duties. As a member of a fire department is is your DUTY to maintain a level of fitness so that you are able to perform the job that the tax dollars pay for. Nearly 25% of the firefighters in that department were unable to climb a ladder, lift heavy objects, perform basic rescue operations. In short not only could they not protect the public, they were also a liability for other firefighters on the scene. But thank God the union was able to remove the annual fitness requirement (which was not strenous to begin with) so they could all keep their jobs. At that point the union was providing a disservice to the citizens who were paying their salary's.

I am not anti-union, but I do think they sometimes go to far.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-11-22 13:22, JoeJoe wrote:

I am very familiar with walmart and how they do business. I also know a lame excuse when I hear one.

"The research, done by a Northwest community group, estimates that one Walmart store, which is set to open in a Washington neighborhood, will decrease the community's economic output over 20 years by an estimated $13 million. It also estimates the Walmart will cost the community an additional $14 million in lost wages over the next 20 years. "

From http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/2405-real-cost-walmart.html

Which also claims

"One important caveat to this research: It applies only to areas where consumer demand for products is already being met. In areas where demand is not being met, however, there is a benefit to having a Walmart since it makes more products available to consumers, Fowler said."
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
That raises the question, how much does a community save in lower prices over 20 years?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Gee ... a study about one particular Walmart ... out of how many?? You are reaching and stretching here dude.

Meanwhile ... when you are not cherry picking your locale ...

Quote:
The study shows that between 1985 and 2003, personal income, overall employment and retail employment grew faster in counties with a Wal-Mart than in those without one.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/01/09/walmart......art.html

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Didn't Penn & Teller do an Episode of Bulls Hit about the Wal*Mart hysteria?

Edit-
Yup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-o1fj1rX7A
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
My kid put his take on the histeria on deviantart;

http://dragonrider1227.deviantart.com/ar......157&qo=0
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The thing that causes these wage problems is inflation. ie The average annual earnings of full-time workers in the UK rose by 1.4% to £26,500 in the year to April 2012, less than the 3.5% rise in inflation. Or in other words the average guy is worse off. Inflation is a banking hustle and if we got rid of it then it would solve a lot of problems. As it is people have to fight for wage rises etc all their life to keep up with inflation.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-11-21 23:31, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-21 23:11, acesover wrote:

I know I want to hire these people after they leave Wal Mart. They sound like great employees to me. They will really help my company. Sigm them up with all kind of benefits and vacation days and throw in a bonus because I see how well they treated their last employer. Start them at $25 per hour.

If only Wal-Mart was as generous an employer as you seem to be. You recognise the value of your employees and see that are people, not just entries on a spread sheet. So you see the value that they bring to your business and reward them accordingly. You treat them as stakeholders in your company not just a commodity that can be discarded and and abused. Wal-Mart could learn much from your generosity and progressive views. If only they had adopten them. They wouldn't be havig the difficulty they are currently having with their employees.

Yes Payne,

I presented this plan to my accountant and he said I would be filing for bankruptcy in 6 to 8 months. But he said it is my call. I passed.

Thanks for your support I appreciate your insightfulness. You should definitely be a business consultant. Smile Maybe even CEO...yea that's it, A CEO. You would be the first CEO that lets the employees run the company. What a great concept.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-11-22 01:54, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-22 01:31, LobowolfXXX wrote:

Apparently more generous to their employees than any other employer in their area, or those employees wouldn't choose to work at Walmart.

In some areas they have little choice as Wal-Mart is the major employer in the region. The few people that I know who work for Wal-Mart only do so because there are no other jobs to be had in the area. They would quit if they could. But there is no place else to go and no other jobs available.

Of course they would quit if they could. They would not choose to work if they could also. Another brilliant statement from Payne. I would buy the Magic Castle if I could. Do you even think before you post?

By your own admission as there being no other jobs avaliaable Wal Maart is doing them a fovor. I guess Wal Mart should be ashamed of themselves for giviing people jobs. Your posts just get stranger and stranger. I think your corset might be to tight. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I guess one could paraphrase de Tocqueville here...people deserve the kinds of retailers they get. We can talk about what the employees would or wouldn't do under various conditions, but we know what would happen to Walmart if people didn't shop there.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
FYI Aces, Walmart is one word, not two.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"You would be the first CEO that lets the employees run the company. "

In a truly great company, the employees do run the company. It is the CEO's job to steer the company and get out of the employees way. This is the way companies like Microsoft, Apple, Pixar, (the old) HP. All empowered their employees, because any great company knows that their company is only as good as their people. Look at the way Ben and Jerry's is run.

The notion that employers are worker bees that drudge into work like robots and do their job is a very short sighted strategy, IMHO.

ACES, you seem to relish the idea that people should just shut up and be happy someone is going to give them wages that keep them in poverty. People should sacrifice their only lives in this world to doing the bidding of a few powerful CEO's. Sounds more like hell than anything else.

Personally I don't really understand the mentality to loves to see people enslaved.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The company was incorporated as Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. on October 31, 1969.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-11-23 11:31, acesover wrote:

Yes Payne,

I presented this plan to my accountant and he said I would be filing for bankruptcy in 6 to 8 months. But he said it is my call. I passed.

I'd find myself a new account then as the business model I follow is pretty much the same as Costco's. Which lately has been cleaning Wal-art's clock in sales per store http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.asp......0f8c72a5

Costco, unlike Wal-Mart, pays its employees a living wage and provides health care. This is why when you shop at Costco you will find hard working and efficient employees dedicated to doing their jobs. They know they are perceived as being a valued asset to their employer. Costco isn't unionized and yet you never hear of their employees trying to organize. No need to. Their employer treats them well. Wal-Mart could learn a lot from Costco.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Walmart pays their employees above minimum wage and they provide health care!

Now go to your local mom and pop shop and you will discover their employees get paid less than walmart pays, and because they are "small business" they are not required to pay for their health care. That is why walmart does not have a shortage of employees, people WANT to work there!!!

That is a far cry from Slide's "enslaved" comment ... nobody is forcing anyone to work at walmart; nobody is beating them, raping them, exploiting them, making them do things they don't want to do!

-JoeJoe
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
What mom and pop shop?

Tommy
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
According to this report, the number of people below the poverty level increases when a Walmart comes into town; http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/stori......page=all
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"nobody is forcing anyone to work at walmart; nobody is beating them, raping them, exploiting them, making them do things they don't want to do! "

They don't in china either but it seems that those who support Walmart, have big issues when it is China's hiring practices we are talking about about.

Actually china has a pretty good system. In exchange for basically living at the factory for 10 years you can retire on what you earn according to a report on China's labor practices that ran on NPR about a year ago.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Now go to your local mom and pop shop and you will discover their employees get paid less than walmart pays, and because they are "small business" they are not required to pay for their health care. That is why walmart does not have a shortage of employees, people WANT to work there!!!"

JoeJoe,

You are certainly welcome to express your opinion, but in my opinion, you really don't have the background and knowledge to really understand the dynamics that occur when Walmart comes into a town.

But again, I am curious: why do you feel SUCH a strong need to defend a large corporation over the workers. I find it a baffling phenomena that people who are themselves a paycheck away from poverty are the most vehement in defending the corporations that do in fact enslave them.

I guess it is a love of authority. It is a strange psychological quirk that never stops fascinating me.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I am not defending Walmart ... I am defending their freedoms. The playing field is level, what you want to do is to stack the deck in favor of one company over the other. You are advocating unfair business practices. Oh the irony of it.

Why should walmart pay $13 an hour, while mom and pop only have to pay $7.25 an hour? Once you have walmart paying $13 an hour, you will expect mom and pop to pay $15 an hour. We have a federally mandated minimum wage for a reason ... everyone plays by the same rules.

If you want to make ipads for 10 cents an hour, move to China. Let me know how it works out for you.

-JoeJoe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hostess RIP » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..23~24~25 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL