The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hostess RIP » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20..23~24~25 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I'd rather pay $1.99 for the shirt at Goodwill where they hire Americans and help disabled people.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 10:57, critter wrote:
I'd rather pay $1.99 for the shirt at Goodwill where they hire Americans and help disabled people.

As long as people are willing to give their lightly used items it will work. I am not sure Goodwill is considered a profit making organization.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"So in effect you are saying that Walmart should bully all their suppliers as to how they should run and organize their plants. "

You don't know too much about the way walmart works, do you.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 11:05, Slide wrote:
"So in effect you are saying that Walmart should bully all their suppliers as to how they should run and organize their plants. "

You don't know too much about the way walmart works, do you.

Are you talking to anyone in paticular? Not sure what post you are referring or to whom you are referring. If you are referring to my post you obviously do not comprehend what you read. Because I say just the opposite. But then again it may not be my post that you are referring too.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Your post. you don't know what you are talking about, do you.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 11:14, Slide wrote:
Your post. you don't know what you are talking about, do you.

Please reread my post.

Also as you corrected my spelling of Walmart being one word let me remind you that when writing a question you end your question with a question mark (?) not a period (.). Smile You must remember the glass house rule. Don't throw stones.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
It wasn't a question it was a statement of fact.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 11:36, Slide wrote:
It wasn't a question it was a statement of fact.

I hope your kidding. Here is your post: you don't know what you are talking about, do you.

You didn't even use a capital letter to begin your sentence. I am only bringing this up because you are so perfect in your posts as to correct my using two words when refrencing Walmart as Wal Mart. As I said Glass houses. If its to hot in the kitchen then leave. If you cannot take critisim but only dish it out...well that says a lot about your character.

BTW it is time to throw in "DUDE". Smile
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
"you are so perfect in your posts as to correct my using two words when refrencing Walmart as Wal Mart."

Aces, I am puzzled. In your post dated "Nov 29, 2012 10:43am" you DID write it as Walmart. Slide appears to have quoted you accurately. Did a mod adjust the spelling in your original post?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 06:35, mastermindreader wrote:
It's true that Walmart didn't control the Bangladesh sweatshop that burned to the ground in a fire reminiscent of the Triangle Shirtwaist fire of 1911. But Walmart was nonetheless aware of the conditions at the factory

Walmart stopped buying from the factory, but the factory sold to 'middlemen' who sold to Walmart without their knowledge or consent ... which goes back to the point I already made, that Walmart doesn't have the authority to shut down the factory. All they can do is stop buying from the factory, but that doesn't stop the factory from selling to someone else.

ap-exclusive-accounts-clothing-show-disn......-in-fire

The apparent confusion underscored what some industry experts say is a major obstacle to improving safety in Third World factories: Many major retailers in the U.S. and Europe rely on such a long and complex chain of manufacturers, vendors and middlemen to keep their shelves stocked that it is difficult to keep track of where certain products are made.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 12:18, balducci wrote:
"you are so perfect in your posts as to correct my using two words when refrencing Walmart as Wal Mart."

Aces, I am puzzled. In your post dated "Nov 29, 2012 10:43am" you DID write it as Walmart. Slide appears to have quoted you accurately. Did a mod adjust the spelling in your original post?

You are a little confused and puzzled as to what Slide and I ae talking about. On Nov 23 here is his post as I posted Walmart as Wal Mart several times previously. HIS POST: "FYI Aces, Walmart is one word, not two."

So I am not sure what you are referring to about your refrence to Nov 29 as to why you brought it up. Again I think you just got it confused. Easy to do in this type of format. Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Walmartians
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 11:01, acesover wrote:
Quote:

As long as people are willing to give their lightly used items it will work. I am not sure Goodwill is considered a profit making organization.

Not technically, and yet they turn a profit. I actually shop at all of the thrift stores.
~Will Rogers
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Reading this article, you see the real problems with this factory - which have virtually nothing to do with Walmart. This would not have happened in America, as we have building codes and inspectors:

owner-of-bangladeshi-factory-at-center-o......-needed/

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 12:54, critter wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not technically, and yet they turn a profit. I actually shop at all of the thrift stores.

Have you seen the salaries of the top guys at Goodwill? Not to shabby.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"BTW it is time to throw in "DUDE"."

I think "cranky old man" works better for you.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 07:06, Woland wrote:
Hi Bob,

Thanks for finding that quote about the promotion policies of Wal-Mart in the Puffington Host article you linked:

Quote:
"Nearly three-quarters of our store management teams started out in hourly positions," a spokesman told The Huffington Post in October.

But the ratio of salaried positions to hourly ones is small. At the retired manager’s store, about 200 hourly associates reported to a handful of salaried managers. Few can reasonably expect to secure middle class salaries, according to the workers, making prospects more like a lottery than a reliable career path.

Three-quarters of management teams started out in hourly positions? I'd say that's pretty darn good.

The numbers don't imply that at all. Say you have three hundred employees and eight are management. If three quarters of those came up through the ranks that means that only six out of three hundred - two percent - were able to advance. The fact is that there is little opportunity to advance beyond a poverty level wage. It is a fact that most Walmart workers remain eligible for food stamps.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 13:04, JoeJoe wrote:
Reading this article, you see the real problems with this factory - which have virtually nothing to do with Walmart. This would not have happened in America, as we have building codes and inspectors:

owner-of-bangladeshi-factory-at-center-o......-needed/

-JoeJoe

That was acually a point I was trying to make. The fact is that too many companies outsource production to countries where there are no building codes, inspectors, worker safety rules, etc. And it is done simply to save costs. The same reasons that were used for slave labor.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 13:13, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-29 12:54, critter wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Have you seen the salaries of the top guys at Goodwill? Not to shabby.

Not my division, I just like the shirts and .49 cent VHS tapes Smile
~Will Rogers
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-11-28 23:52, JoeJoe wrote:
You are avoiding the question.

-JoeJoe

Objection, your Honour, badgering the witness- she was asleep and Council's missing the point. Magicalaurie is not singling out anyone:

Quote:
On 2012-11-26 13:03, magicalaurie wrote:
Time for a revolution in the way people think about the power of the almighty dollar, I say. Please understand this time- I mean folks should not be enslaved by it. We all are worth so much more than that. If you have difficulty grasping the concept, think about it a little before suggesting it equates to magicalaurie suggesting the world must begin anew WITHOUT money. Cause I'm saying something else here, folks. And I see quite clearly, thankyou kindly.

Here goes:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=7733539
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hostess RIP » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20..23~24~25 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL