The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hostess RIP » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..10..13..16..19..22..23~24~25 [Next]
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
I wonder how quick these union workers would be willing to give up their jobs if they were not going to be able to collect unemployment for three years. Seems like forever 36 months. Just wait till it runs out. You will hear, "Gee we had it pretty good". Try and get a car loan now or a home loan. Good luck guys I wish you well. You decided your fate. You should have thought where will I be three years from now. I can tell you but you won't like it so I won't.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I say maybe those who've lost their jobs and currently blame the union might end up thanking them down the road that they didn't stay with Hostess for another decade or so and end up shafted then the way some who've been there 20+ years have already been. They've got a chance to find worthwhile employment now. How many times should this company get to go through bankruptcy, all the while undermining the workers who've kept them in operation? Doesn't look like this was going to get better for anyone.

Jeff, the thought crossed my mind, but he's beautiful, really- even the Scary Librarian couldn't look at that pic without smiling, so... there he is. Smile
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2012-11-17 19:16, magicalaurie wrote:
I say maybe those who've lost their jobs and currently blame the union might end up thanking them down the road that they didn't stay with Hostess for another decade or so and end up shafted then the way some who've been there 20+ years have already been. They've got a chance to find worthwhile employment now. How many times should this company get to go through bankruptcy, all the while undermining the workers who've kept them in operation? Doesn't look like this was going to get better for anyone.

Jeff, the thought crossed my mind, but he's beautiful, really- even the Scary Librarian couldn't look at that pic without smiling, so... there he is. Smile

Find worthwhile employent where in this economy? With that many hitting the unemployment line with the same qualifications it will be next to impossible to find worthwhile employment today. Have you read the news lately? Not a great job market out there.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Not a great market working for Hostess, either, obviously, unless maybe you're a CEO. An unpopular comment among some, perhaps, but seemingly accurate nonetheless. Enough time wasted there already for quite a few.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Since when is having gainful employment and getting paid for a day's work for a decade or more "getting shafted"?
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Find worthwhile employent where in this economy?"

There is not a lack of worthwhile employment. There is a lack of education. I write an industry newsletter and I publish at least a dozen new jobs every week, and that is just in my little niche and I only publish the ones people send me.

Jobs have always been about who you know. I was able to get my son situated in an internet startup, starting at 40k with full medical, 401k, etc. He was 21. A helped him get the job but he had to prove himself. He did. Worked long hours, took on lots of responsibility and ended up teaching himself to program and developed their entire accounting and billing system that integrated with Salesforce. 9 months later, age 22, they bumped him up to $78k. And that is just the beginning. This company has hired about 100 people in the last year and they are always on the lookout.

I know companies desperate to hire workers. But they need to be educated. My son graduated from NYU at 21 with an economics degree.

You can't NOT invest in education and expect to have a work force ready for the jobs of today.

What there are a shortage of are jobs where all you need is a strong back. If you have some brains, work hard, and like everything else in life: develop your network, there are plenty of opportunities.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"getting paid for a day's work for a decade or more "getting shafted"?"

you get shafted when you go in early in your life promised a full pension on retirement. People put in their time promised one thing and then watch as that is pulled out from under them when it is too late to make another career decision.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
As if you didn't know, Woland. And "gainful"? These workers have been making concessions and taking cuts since the 2004 Bankruptcy. Even so, thousands lost their jobs then. Read your own links, at least, please. Smile

Found this article yesterday:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/elainepofeld......-behind/

"...many people thrive as their own bosses. However, there seems to be no concerted effort to encourage Americans to try this route as an answer to a turbulent job market. I never thought I would start a business, but I went freelance in 2007 and love it. In fact, my husband and I are both freelancers, and support our four children in New Jersey this way, despite the state’s high cost of living and our $36,000 annual health insurance premiums. (Along the way, I’ve co-founded a site, the $200KFreelancer, to help others who are building their own freelance businesses). It’s time to give more thought to making freelance work options available to people outside of traditional niches like writing and photography. You don’t need a college degree to thrive as a business owner...."
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Many of those who lost their jobs did not go along with the union and crossed picket lines (according to what I read). I feel more sorry for them.
Shame on the CEO and other's who gave themselves bags of cash before letting the company fail. So much for loyalty Smile
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Any idea how the leaders of the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International are compensated? Their President, whose intransigeance just cost members of his and other unions 18,000 jobs, is compensated more than $250,000 a year. Discuss.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2012-11-17 19:16, magicalaurie wrote:
How many times should this company get to go through bankruptcy, all the while undermining the workers who've kept them in operation? Doesn't look like this was going to get better for anyone.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2012-11-16 20:20, Tom Cutts wrote:
Maybe you'll feel sorry for Hostess Execs losing their jobs... But not before giving themselves HUGE raises and hiding those raises from bankruptcy settlements. More corporate raiding laid at the feet of employees. Hoping jail time will result in the scam of these execs.

http://www.teamster.org/content/dow-jone......€™-execs

Disgusting move and the people should get to the truth and take action against any who have scammed the entire country if this is true.

Hostess CEO Greg Rayburn had a salary of $1 while union boss Rich Trumkawas gets paid $400,000 a year.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic

I seen this bumber sticker while traveling through North Carolina a few years ago:

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance" - DEREK BOK

Also, when are you going write the how-to-book for business owners seeking funding from venture capitalists? I think you’d have a winner on your hands.

Peace.
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
[/quote]

Hostess CEO Greg Rayburn had a salary of $1 while union boss Rich Trumkawas gets paid $400,000 a year.

-JoeJoe
[/quote]

One Dollar? Are you sure?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/16......043.html

Not sure what is true anymore.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2012-11-19 12:17, irossall wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/16......043.html

Not sure what is true anymore.
Iven Smile

And it looks like thet're trying to get bonuses for going out of business as well.
"U.S. Trustee Tracy Hope Davis today urged U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Robert D. Drain in White Plains, New York, to convert the case to a Chapter 7 from Chapter 11, based partly on the company’s intent to pay executive bonuses."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-19......ays.html
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I'm gonna miss the chocolate cream filled cup cakes.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Isn't Chapter 11 used when you are trying to reorganize and save a company? Once the company announced its intention to liquidate, that would automatically take them into Chapter 7, wouldn't it?

The major Hostess products will be available again when the Bimbo Group buys them.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:

No more sure of anything else I read online ... but a headline that says "claims" makes me raise my eye brows enough to check Google. The CEO that raised his salary to $2.55 million was replaced by Greg Rayburn who set the salary of the 4 top exec's to $1 during the bankruptcy.

http://americablog.com/2012/11/hostess-t......ary.html

As for Richard Trumka ... known liar. I wouldn't want him to clean my toilet even if he was wearing rubber gloves. He should have been brought to trail for his election scheme with Carey back in the 90s. He makes $400k a year ... paid for with union dues.

http://www.unionfacts.com/employees/AFL-CIO

-JoeJoe
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
The fat lady hasn't sung yet...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/b......ediation

-JoeJoe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hostess RIP » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..10..13..16..19..22..23~24~25 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL