The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » FIrst time busking (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Hugh Entwistle
Hey I finally got out there and busked this afternoon for 2 hours, learnt a lot of stuff but the main issue was getting people over to watch.

My set was
Linking Rings
Pressure
Ambitious Card
Rope Routine
Misers Dream
Bottle Production

I did make some adjustments while I was doing it though. I took the Linking RIngs out - it didn't catch people's attention.
I did ambtious card first THEN pressure to the people who were still there (as they would be more co operative in giving me their phone)
I then did the rope routine followed misers dream into the hat, followed by a bottle production at the end.

I noticed that once I got a crowd, it was great and there were lots of healthy tips. I made about 70 dollars in that two hours but some of that time was spent trying to get a crowd. Are there any good tricks that can attract a crowd and can be easily finished once I've got what I want?
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
That's a great start Hugh. You are on the right track.
Do you have Kozmo's DVD set "Tales from the Street"?
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
That's Great 1st time is allways Good.. Great to here all went well Cellini Dvds are and will help you
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
70 bux in 2 hours huh? 35 dollars an hour haha, I guess the next step would be to see if you could maintain that kind of profit for 8 hours straight every day, 5 days a week, be a millionaire in a few years Smile seriously though that's awesome, better than I've done, took me 5 hours at a festival to make 60 bux, maybe I was doing something wrong.
Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Thanks for all your advice guys.

No jazzy snazzy I don't have those DVDs - are they focused primarily on busking routines or are they more about the 'art of busking', getting crowds .etc.

Mike - same question

Gary T - It's a steady and good rate of money (I went busking again yesterday and made a bit more than 70 in 2 hours.) especially for my age (15 yrs) where you get 15 dollars an hour if you're lucky!

Does anyone have some advice on openers and ways to gather a crowd? I figured I'd make much more money if I could consistently get crowd after crowd rather than the occasional one.
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
The hardest thing to do is to get out there. You got it! Good. And you are thinking through and asking about what happened. Even better!

The Cellini and Kozmo DVDs give you a little material, but mostly give you exactly what you need, "busking instructions".

How much you make, and size of your tip, are kind of personal. I like 12-18 which allows a good energy for the group that you (I don't feel) might not get with smaller groups, and keep drawing until I get close to that, unless is taking too long. That size tip brings me somewhere $60-$100, and I can usually do 3 in an hour.

Work a group size with which you are comfortable.

I often do use linking rigs as an opener and to gather a crowd. I do a three ring rountine, 10 inch rings, one key, and two full. Banging them together, spinning one a wrist, offering one of the fulls for examination, all work to draw a crowd. I am also very verbal. Ever see metal pass through metal? You look like a skeptic, here look at this ring. Any holes? If "no", then I point out the big hole in the center to laughs all around then I switch the rings, hand him the two full, and say now check these other two. And even have him hand one ring off to someone else, getting more people involved and interested.

Then I get those back. and go into a crash linking routine. I get lots of people involved as I go around point to the bottom the key ring, and the top of the full ring. I tell them to watch very closely, and then I crash link......... And on and on.

My other opening, when I intend to use the rings as a closer, is Sankey's paper clipped. Simply and where it really works for me is to get the crows to guard the "prediction card" and yell if anyone gets near it. The I test them and they yell, and do this a few times as I build the tip. People want to see what the yelling is all about, so the more they do it the bigger the crowd. I even call them out if they don't yell. Are you trying to make it too easy for me? You know I will cheat if I can don't you? They still really don't know what is going to happen, so I just use this to get them involved. I then go back towards the prediction card watching them pointing to them, and they ususaly jump on with more yelling.

Good luck and fat hats to you.

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
Hugh Entwistle
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

I'll try some of your tips next weekend (pun intended)
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
920 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
Flash is key. Flash is noise, shiny stuff, colorful, visual, repeatable. A great example is this Brass band I have seen recently. There is 6 of them. Drums, tuba, 2 trombones, 2 trumpets. They are loud, the instruments are shiny, and they dance. It doesn't hurt that they are good either. While they play they keep turning blowing the horns in all directions and drawing crowds from blocks away.

I like to use a silk vanish. Lately I have begun using a different method. It allows for a much larger silk, does not use a TT and is still instantly repeatable. The larger silk draws more attention and fools everyone that is familiar with a TT, especially those 5 kids every day that got a Criss Angel magic set.

I also like to yell loudly, MAGIC SHOW!
mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
Well done.the 1st day is allways the best day keep going enjoy busking
mike in u.k
http://www.magiciansinlondon.co.uk
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
554 Posts

Profile of vernon
Congrats, you my find that 'less is more', effects wise. Engaging with character is as if not more important. But that's just my tip pence worth. As has been mentioned above though... Getting out there is the first major step. Forget your aaaargh about it and just do it, and you are.

Congratulations again and keep on keeping on

JJ
mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
As Vernon said the 1st Big Step is getting out there you did ..and be you not Gazzo or anyone else
if you see a Book the royal touch by Cellini get it its a Book of Gold ..the thing we all need in Busking is good weather ...............Keep up the good work ................Mike in U.K
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
920 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
OH yea, I forgot to congratulate you on your first day out! Congratulations! Now get back out there and do better. Learn from your mistakes and keep working. It will only get better!
howlinhobbit
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
53 Posts

Profile of howlinhobbit
When I was busking as a magician I did the medieval look and I'd start with some very simple 3 ball juggling and a (loud) spiel about "mysteries, mountebankeries and magic!" etc. until I got my first few folk. then I'd start the show.

I've been busking as a musician for a long time, and am just getting back into magic. I'll probably skip the medieval drag this time (finding a place to change was always... ummm... interesting).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » FIrst time busking (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL