The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best response when you say you are a mentalit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I'm sure this has come up before but...

You are at an event and tell someone you are a mind reader/menatlist.

They say, "Great... What am I thinking right now..."

You say...". "

I'm sure humor works best but would love to hear how you guys handle this obvious comment that comes up constantly.

Thanks Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
garett
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of garett
It never comes up for me. I call myself an illusionist. I've managed to avoid having people ever ask me serious questions about their lives or personal problems.

I don't envy those who place themselves in the position of having to deal with that.

There's zero ambiguity in my performances. I don't do private readings. I maintain a skeptical attitude throughout my routines and it's all framed as magic/illusion.

If someone jokes around with me and tries to catch me out, they're usually ALWAYS trying to be the centre of attention in front of a group of friends, by showing me up. So I'll answer it with: "You're thinking 'I hope he can't tell that I'm cheating on my wife.'"
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
"Great... What am I thinking right now..."

'That I'm full of ****"
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Peter Turner has a fantastic reply to this question that is genius.

Not mine to share, sorry.

Maybe it will be on his new DVD.
That's just speculation, I don't have any inside info.

Steve
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
Roy Zaltsman shared one with the attendees at MindVention that was hilarious, but again, not mine to share further.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Because I am a reader, not a mentalists, I either remind them that I'm not a mimd reader, or I honestly give an answer as to any issues I sense they have, typically the latter, though in a very of-hand way. "I'm not a mind reader, but I get a sense of ..." It gets past the joke and leaves the conversation open.
TJ Halford
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of TJ Halford
I know there has been some controversy over the book, but I like using Luke Jermay's idea from his "From the Notebooks vol. 1"
TJ Halford

"Imagine what is Possible"
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
I don't call myself a "mind reader." I use "mentalist," which usually gets the person to ask what that is, which gives me the opportunity to define the parameters of how I will proceed.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
jakubr
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of jakubr
I have a response when they ask 'what am I thinking right now', but it happens very rarely, because generally I would never introduce myself as a mentalist. I try to avoid giving myself any title, rather through what I do, I try to get them to reach the conclusion.
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
I let them know that for mind reading to occur, I have to have some shared basis of experience with my subject and I have to take a moment to get to know and develop some connection with them.

I then take a moment to cultivate the relationship and then move into something from "The Prodigal". As Peter Turner points out, the result is something that is far more meaningful to them because it is more personally relevant to them. It is something that they won't ever forget.

This approach also establishes a baseline for how I do things moving forward that is both credible and logical.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Before you hit the road and take money you should already have an answer. How do you answer agents and prospects? Gotta say something.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2012-11-17 12:09, saysold1 wrote:
I'm sure this has come up before but...

They say, "Great... What am I thinking right now..."

You say...".

Thanks Smile

You're thinking I can't tell you what you're thinking.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1245 Posts

Profile of magicman29
Quote:
On 2012-11-17 12:30, Stephen Young wrote:
Peter Turner has a fantastic reply to this question that is genius.

Not mine to share, sorry.

Maybe it will be on his new DVD.
That's just speculation, I don't have any inside info.

Steve

I second that!

Kieran
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
I don't miss a beat, look them straight in the eye and say, very dryly and seriously:
"I see curiosity, anticipation, skepticism and.. oh, humour."
(C.A.S.H)
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
"OK" Puts hand to temple. "Hmmmm." Pause. "Hmmmmmm." Shakes head. "Sorry, I'm not picking up any anything. Nothing at all. Just sort of like white noise--with an echo."
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
SubconsciousSymbols
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, UK
250 Posts

Profile of SubconsciousSymbols
@Quicknotist, your response is excellent and along the lines of a reply that I use that was inspired by Kenton and his wonderful Wonder Words.

His approach has to do with empathizing with them and confirming the thoughts they are likely having already. Great stuff as you simply have to; put yourself into that person's 'shoes' for a minute and also think how you would react if someone told you they were a mind reader.

I have an approach when asked what it is exactly that I do which, I think, navigates the 'what am I thinking now?' minefield pretty well.

I just ask them to focus on what they are holding, seeing, smelling, feeling at that time. As they start to do this I am explaining that their mind processes thousands of different pieces of information at any given second, along with a heap of thoughts...

I explain that in order to achieve anything WE must be properly focused, I then ask them to take 3 deep breaths and visualize. (I've said too much already Smile(thanks JF))

They are then in a frame of mind to accept my premise, which follows the introduction.

Aw
'The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious'
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2137 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On 2012-11-17 12:18, Olympic Adam wrote:
"Great... What am I thinking right now..."

'That I'm full of ****"

This is a very simple response, that always works for me. Because anyone who phrases a question in such a manner, is thinking exactly that.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Some great material and info here folks - but honestly I think you are all full of **** Smile

Seriously though, many thanks as this is really useful stuff.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
magic maniac
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
Here's a line that's a worker and always got a good laugh...

"Oh, I was in there earlier...dirty little mind this one"

In a way, it's a compliment and a put a down. Just be prepared to go into an effect right away to move away from the spectators accusations.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On 2012-11-17 15:00, quicknotist wrote:
I don't miss a beat, look them straight in the eye and say, very dryly and seriously:
"I see curiosity, anticipation, skepticism and.. oh, humour."
(C.A.S.H)

Best answer by far in my opinion. Love it and thanks for sharing. Smile

Best,
Sean
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best response when you say you are a mentalit (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL