We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Penumbra? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
It has been a long gap between issue #5, dated January/February, and issue #6. Almost a year. So what has happened?

Besides Genii and Magic, Penumbra is one of my favorite periodicals. It is a well-produced magazine indeed. I treasure every issue.

Is the publishers taking a break? If so, they should tell the subscribers. Or, god forbid, Penumbra is no more. If so, the money for subscriptions should be sent back.

I'm not complaining or anything, I love this magazine dearly and hope there will be further issues comming.

Anybody know something that I don't about Penumbra, if so, please speak up.

Sincerely
Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
I just received issue #6. Patience, patience...I understand the responisibility for the delay is being taken by one of the contributors, Earnest Earick.

Interesting stuff...

ajp
major
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of major
Sleightly,

Who are the contributors for issue #6?

Thanks,
Bob
Kronos9326
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
229 Posts

Profile of Kronos9326
How does one subscribe to Penumbra?

David
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Quote:
On 2003-11-04 10:38, Kronos9326 wrote:
How does one subscribe to Penumbra?

David

Rates are $50 for a six issues (one year) subscription in US and Canada. All other foreign countries add $20 for airmail delivery.

PayPal payments are accepted.
E-mail: wgoodwin42@hotmail.com

Checks should be made payable to William Goodwin and sent to 2641 South J Street, Oxnard, California, 93033-4469.
Yves Tourigny
View Profile
Veteran user
Somewhere in Quebec
323 Posts

Profile of Yves Tourigny
Major,

Issue six has five items, two from Ernest Earick (very good), one from Max Maven, one from Harvey Rosenthal and one from Jack Carpenter. The issue is "move-heavy" having only two tricks in it but I really love the one by Ernest Earick! Smile
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
Penumbra is a very nice magazine. I loved the effect with the fruit sweet, penetrating the hand then the wrapper.
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Quote:
On 2003-11-04 09:03, sleightly wrote:
I just received issue #6. Patience, patience...

ajp

All good things to those who wait. Hmmm...
dmk_kirkland
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of dmk_kirkland
I just received my copy yesterday. I'm in Canada so it should be arriving in Europe fairly soon.
Cheers,
David
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I can only hope...
Smile
remco de wolf
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of remco de wolf
I live in Belgium and received mine the fourth of November.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Today is the sixth of November. Still no Penumbra in sight. Smile
major
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of major
I live in New Jersey. I am still waiting for mine. The magazine is great. I have already sent in my money for the next six issues.

However, I am a little annoyed at the tardiness of this issue. It has taken way too long for the editors to finish it. The quality (and it is high) of the magazine should never make up for the delay (at least not for this amount of time). Imagine walking into a restaurant and ordering consistently great food but waiting three hours to receive it? Of course not. The same goes for the Penumbra! For those who disagree with me, remember this...

The Penumbra states that it is published every other month. Issue five was the January/February installment. We did not receive that one on time either. I hope this does not reflect what the future will bring, because at this rate we will not be completing the next volume for at least three years.

I know many will probably disagree, however, I wouldn't care if I didn't look forward to receiving it so much. The quality is extremely high and the effects provided are of high caliber and everyone should subscribe if they can.

Sorry, I just needed to vent.

Bob
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
I would like to subscribe to a magic magazine...could you guys recommend me your favorites and details on how to subscribe? Thanks! Smile
~joeKing
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Genii all the way. I think it is the best. Go to the Genii site to subscribe.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Genii, Magic and Penumbra get my votes.

For Magic go to its site to subscribe.

How to subscribe on Penumbra's site is already mentioned in here.

Alright! I got Penumbra in the mail today!!
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
Quote:
On 2003-11-06 19:37, major wrote:
I live in New Jersey. Still waiting for mine. The magazine is great. I have already sent in my money for the next six issues.

However, I am a little annoyed at the tardiness of this issue.

Sorry, I just needed to vent.

Bob

Bob,

For those of us that subscribed to the Hierophant, everything else seems timely. If I recall correctly, I'm still waiting for paid for issues after 30 years or so - I guess they're not coming..... (same with Talisman, Arcane.....)

Sometimes, I think we are WAY too lenient/forgiving of publishers of both books and magazines. We write off the tardiness with "labor of love" - and other touchy feely phrases which excuse extreme lateness - beyond any reasonableness.

Forget legalities, I don't know them and don't really care, I'm talking about a "moral contract". I find these things inexcusable - generally just silence and excuses. What happened to a simple notification to subscribers that the issues are REALLY late or the book is MONTHS later than promised in the prepublication offer?

Pardon the rant, but I just get sick of this marketing world without substance and responsibility.

Later.....
Steve
major
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of major
Steve,

Well said.

Bob
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
Thanks for the advice...I'll pass (50 is too much for a magazine subscription)
~joeKing
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
Is issue 6 on general release anywhere? I checked H&R but they only have 1 through 5 at the moment

Euan Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Penumbra? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL