The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sorry to all the members about me being so cocky. Another Question and I need help. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

drigerbest
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of drigerbest
I wish to apologise to all the members for making stupid posts. I am new to magic and therefore, I may be getting quite big headed after performing a few tricks and getting good reactions.

I will be performing psypher on Monday to a class of 16 year old students, boys and girls, in high school.

However, instead of the usual routine, I want to make it more "longer" and more interactive so that it can fit in with maybe 3 or more class members instead of just 1.

I was chosen just because my teacher knows I love magic as a hobby so he wanted me to do something for the class.

What are your suggestions to starting the routine?

I was thinking of doing the following.

1. Start of by talking about the mind and how we can trace very minor things and movements, and then locate that together and ultimately find out what you may be thinking physiologically.
2. Then pick 3 class members and individually get them to imagine a place, and I will tell them beforehand that I will be influencing the place they pick.
3. Get them to write the 3 places on a sticky note/sticky pad which will be stuck on my deck of cards (I need to do this for the routine to work)
4. Then tell the last writer to take of the sticky pad, and then let them know that I will be leaving the classroom for approximately 10 seconds and in that time they must just roughly rip out 3 pieces of the sticky pad so that all 3 members have their choice. (This allows me to find out what they have wrote when I am outside the class)
5. Then come back and just talk about physiologically factors, etc etc and then eventually guess correctly, or even guess something which is similar to their place.

What do you think of this, and are there any other tips/ factors / advice you would give for me to perform this one trick..?

I have been performing this trick for months and till date, it has been great but can always do with your advice! Maybe I don't need to leave the classroom? I don't know but please let me know what you think.

And once again, sorry for being arrogant. I recently politely cancelled my gig because I wasn't ready for it, although I thought I was. With your criticism, I have learned that magic isn't something which can be learnt immediately and then performed but rather something we need to perform, practice and enjoy for several months before actually making good use of it. Thanks to everyone again who is willing to help now, even though I may have been a pain in the past few threads.
Foxlute
View Profile
Regular user
UK
148 Posts

Profile of Foxlute
I'm confused. I have read some of your posts. In June you claimed to be asking questions on behalf of a friend's son. Now you appear to be a 16 year old yourself, performing for your peers. Did I miss the explanation somewhere?
LobstaJohnson
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of LobstaJohnson
If you're new to magic, then figuring out a foolproof way to divine the answer is smart; I don't hate the "going out of the room" idea if you're surrounded and will have trouble using the psypher gimmick properly. The cool thing about this is, the trick is then over, and the rest is simply presentation.

you can write your "predictions" on large posterboards, revealing them one by one as the students tell you their words (or all at once when you get all three from them). Using the post-its as a way to "keep them honest" so they "can't change their mind" works for me.

Beware, though...you need to control where they write on the post its...if you know how this works you know why I'm saying that. Trying to peek at a jumble of things written all over each other is a recipe for disaster. Buying the extra large device may be a way to do this (Top, middle, bottom).
--
<BR>credo che tutti gli uomini siano fratelli
Jack Crafter
View Profile
New user
Kent, England
62 Posts

Profile of Jack Crafter
The only thing I'd change from a presentational perspective is choose the 3 spectators prior to discussing everything in step 1. That way you can state that you were attempting to influence them during your speech and they'll spend the rest of the trick back tracking over what you said to try and work out how. Then they'll pay very little attention to the process of writing down their location etc. If they're stuck dissecting the past you'll have greater cover for the follow up.

Please bear in mind I don't really do this type of trick or use this kind of gimmick though, so you may want to overlook my advice due to a lack of experience with the trick. Just my thoughts on how you could slightly improve things Smile.
Ikswonilak
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Ikswonilak
If this is to be done in the classroom, the question will be: why use post-it pads and why use a deck of cards for support? They might ask why not just write it out in my notepad here at my desk with my own pencil? You may want to explore other options for using Psypher (ie with a small notebook). Unless you're already using the props for another reason to have them out, they will be suspect. You want to make this seem completely natural and all focused on the mind power you're alluding to.

Another way around this might be to have your 3 helpers to come up in front of the class and either stand or sit in chairs without a desktop.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I love psypher! it is a great one to use. I also use it with a deck of cards. so, I would suggest something in what you are doing is related to a card. otherwise, it is confusing why you are using a deck of cards to write on. when doing magic, it is best if everything has a reason. I did a psypher routine once where I read a true story about a civil war hero and asked participants to fill in a few missing pieces, like the date of birth of the hero, something he always carried in his pocket for good luck, and his favorite card. I then wrote those things on the favorite card and gave that to the participant. if no one is behind you when you take the cards out of the box, you can do it right in the classroom and no one will know how you did it. you could give the card to your teacher as a souvenir. of course, that would require you giving away one of the cards from a deck of cards, but it's not a bad idea to have a "spare parts" deck for other magic tricks where you give away a card.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sorry to all the members about me being so cocky. Another Question and I need help. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL