The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » The brilliant thinking of Levent and his billiard ball routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1933 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I love Levent's Billiard Ball routine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdGnGVwaTto His discussion on it is that he does a reverse of Roy Benson's idea of starting with the single ball and ending with the multiple production. At first I disagreed with Levent. It is stronger to start off small and end large. Especially with the Benson routine. However, watching Levent's routine, the music is so perfect, it almost calls for this slow ending and wind down with a single ball.

As to my final point; to just use Levent's idea without any consideration of music is lazy with no creativity.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3398 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I think Benson and Levent both start with two balls, not producing them but taking them out, and then Benson also ended with just one ball. Levent says that he based his routine on Benson's and they both begin and end basically the same way, the difference is Levent produces 8 "balls" whereas Benson produced a total of 5 I think.
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
madelaine
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of madelaine
Yes, Benson produced 5 (usually). As to the music: well, it does not take a professor or an idiot to work out that well-chosen sounds - and silences - are critical ingredients for impressive performances. I always improve productions by taking time with the 'sound-scapes'...as do many others....It is not rocket science!!
madelaine
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of madelaine
I consider Levent's 8 ball production is a bit 'trashy' ---- why go for numbers? male ego? Who knows!

Slow and small is as good as quick and big... on the stage as in the bedroom... Wake Up fellas!!!
Michel Fouche
View Profile
New user
Dumb as
69 Posts

Profile of Michel Fouche
I wouldn't go as so far as calling it trashy, but it's certainly not as classy as Brett Daniels' balls and rose act. It does, however, fit with his overall comic style and flows well within his show. It's also very magical. No sleeves, no jacket, and the balls just keep coming.

Michel Fouche
http://www.comedybymagic.com
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1933 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I respect your opinion and I won't put you down for it. But, I do want to make a point in defense of Levent's eight ball production. Some manipulators like to end the ball routine doing the eight production using the four connected balls that is stolen at the end. Of course you have to ditch it with out showing them falling from the finger tips.

Benson's ending of six does not make sense. The eight balls does. You have eight spaces between your fingers, so producing just four is just asking for more. Why stop there? Then why stop at eight? Of course Levent doesn't. He produces more and more and more and...

That's the problem with manipulation acts. You start off producing cards or thimbles or coins. Then you go on and on and on and...

I like big bold ending with the music building to the finale. A spin at the end and bam... Eight balls between the fingers. Levent lets the music decrescendo to make a logical ending. The music winds down and so does Levent. Then a spot on the hands and it just fades away. A great ending. And by the reactions of the crowd, it works.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Hi All:

Sorry I've been away from the Café for a long time. I just noticed this thread and I want to thank everyone for their comments (including the critical ones).

I've been an entertainer for 37 years and one of the most important lessons I've learned is that you cannot please everyone. Art is completely subjective, so everyone see things differently. The most important thing is to please the vast majority of the audience and if possible please yourself and if can somehow accomplish both, then you can feel you've done a lot.

The one thing that I want to point out however is that I normally do a one-hour long show. So if you are watching the video clips of my act on youtube, you are not really seeing the whole story. What I am saying is that you really have to see me work live and see my full show to understand the effect my ball routine has on an audience. In other words you can't really look at one scene of a movie and judge the whole narrative of a film.

Anyhow, I hope everyone has a great holiday season!

Levent in Belize
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1933 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
The point behind this thread was to analyze Levent’s routine to show why and how it works. I feel the main thing is that Leven’t uses the music very well. They both work together which I think is a good lesson for those who want to do manipulation.

(And of course any of those who try to copy every part of this routine has missed the point of lesson.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » The brilliant thinking of Levent and his billiard ball routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL