We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Credit for coin box turn over move (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1687 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Hi all,
As is says above,I'm searching for credit for a turn over move. Without giving too much away. It's the one where the lid is leaning on the back edge of the box. Your thumb goes onto the lid fingers in front of the box, the move is performed as the box is picked up and the hand is turned palm up.

I can't recall where I first learned this from. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1558 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
It's in Lewis Ganson's Teach-In book as part of an effect by Aldo Columbini. Not sure if he invented it, but it's not credited to anyone else.

Barry
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
The move appeared almost with the box itself. I doubt that the first publication can be credited to Aldo Colombini or Lewis Ganson but I'll check
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
1687 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Thanks Barry and Lawrence! I think I first saw this performed by Aldo.

Thanks again guys!,

Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I agree with Lawrence. I'm sure it pre-dates Aldo Colombini. I learned it from Harvey Rosenthal back around 1974 and I'm pretty sure it was old then. It may even be one of Frank Thompson's turnovers. Although, as Lawrence implied, it probably occurred to someone pretty soon after the box was devised.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4859 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea I have used It for the Last 35-40 Years! Smile And I am sure It was Old then!!!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
1687 Posts

Profile of mystre71
I'm with you guys I'm sure it pre-dates Aldo. Was just hoping to track down the proper credit.

If I track down the actual source, I'll be sure to post it here.

Thanks again everyone!

Joe
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8882 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thanks Joe.

And Happy Thanksgiving to all. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
1687 Posts

Profile of mystre71
No problem.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too Mb, and Everyone here at the Café
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4859 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea happy Turkey Day!!! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
Joe,
I thought I first saw it in Bobo's so it's really ancient...

Bill
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
1687 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Thanks Bill!

I'm also searching for more turn over moves. If you know if any unique ones in print, please post here.

Thanks,
Joe
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1558 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
The Ganson book has some unusual moves, and there a a few in David Roth's Expert Coin Magic too.

Barry
ptigue
View Profile
New user
Alabama
95 Posts

Profile of ptigue
Bill Tar 2?
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I don't believe it's in Bobo. Another way to do the move is to have the box on the table with the lid leaning on the front edge of the box. Use the left side of your right thumb to do the move and in the continuing action, bring the box toward your body and place it on your left fingers. It has a nice flowing feel to it.
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
This is similar to an Apocalypse bit by Geoff Latta called 'Okito Opener'. Apocalypse Volume 1 Page 9, that was printed in 1978.

John
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
1687 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Thanks John! I haded checked this thread in awhile and just read through Geoffs routine. It's almost the same except the lid starts on the front and your thumb does the "work". There's isn't any mention that this turn over is Geoff's. But, it is explained in detail, which makes me assume that credit should go to him.

Merry christmas!

Joe
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Gary Kosnitzky
It might have been Lou Tannen.
Rediscover a lost art.

www.jadoosmagic.com
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Are we talking about an Okito Coin Box Move (in which case David Bamberg -aka Okito - claims to have invented it in 1909).
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
On 2012-12-27 07:04, jimgerrish wrote:
Are we talking about an Okito Coin Box Move (in which case David Bamberg -aka Okito - claims to have invented it in 1909).

Actually, Theo Bamberg ( Okito ) invented the Okito box in either 1909 or 1911, depending on who you ask. David was his son.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Credit for coin box turn over move (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL