The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » I'm now a front loader....(I think.) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
At my restaurant gig, I always do the chop cup behind the bar. I load 2 real baseballs and lately have been loading from my front pocket. I don't perform the 3 cup routine much these days, but for Thanksgiving, I performed at a private dinner for 9 people and decided to try my luck with it. 2 in each side and it went smooth as silk. It felt more natural. If I take a ball, and am going to put it in my pocket, (and steal a load) it seems more natural to put it in my front pocket and not my back one. I'm using a slight variation of Vernon's loading sequence and had NO problem loading a lime, kiwi, nectarine and an apple. I forgot to position the apple so it was the last one revealed, and it was actually the first. Other than that, I think it felt perfect. Anyone else load from the front?
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Hello David
I've always loaded from the front pocket (shorter path and the palming hand doesn't have to come from behind with its back towards the audience, which is less natural)
Loading from the back probably more discrete for people living in warm places in jeans and T-shirts (when then pockets may seem bulky). If you live in a more temperate climates and big cities with normal pants and jacket, it's not even a question.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Hello Etienne! So good to see you. Not sure if you remember, but we met a few years ago in Vegas. My thoughts exactly, less distance to travel. In most of my situations, I'm in black jeans or slacks with an untucked shirt. Black seems to cover bulges easier. I would do this for strolling, as it might be tough for pocket management, but the long shirt easily provides enough cover. Thanks for your thoughts!
Fiddlermatthew
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
17 Posts

Profile of Fiddlermatthew
I keep three loads in my trouser pockets, and the final load in my right-hand jacket pocket. I think going to two separate pockets makes it harder for a spectator to catch on. Definitely can't do it with jeans though!
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
For a three cup routine: Three in the left jacket pocket and the fourth in right jacket pocket.

Larry Smile
Mark Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Batavia, NY
236 Posts

Profile of Mark Ross
I've always thought going to back pockets in the guise of putting a small ball away seems odd. I know some of the greats (Vernon, Ammar, Thompson) do it, but it seems odd, to me.

Marh
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
I load from my front pockets, I load spongeballs as my final load though, I have experimented with pool balls, but I need a different jacket because the pockets I have in my current one suck. I never liked loading from the back anyway, it looks ridiculous.
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
I have one load (the first) in my front pocket and the final in my back pocket. I use a lemon/lime ending most of the time (working on a stage version) but for table work I've found it's easy and the second load has so much misdirection to it I can take it from almost any pocket so it's more of a space solution for myself.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
My final loads are 4 practice golf balls, two in the right jacket pocket, two in the left. Works like a charm. Dai Vernon did his bit sitting down, I do mine standing up. Don't know if it matters, but that's what works for me.

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2012-11-23 02:30, pepka wrote:
Hello Etienne! So good to see you. Not sure if you remember, but we met a few years ago in Vegas. My thoughts exactly, less distance to travel. In most of my situations, I'm in black jeans or slacks with an untucked shirt. Black seems to cover bulges easier. I would do this for strolling, as it might be tough for pocket management, but the long shirt easily provides enough cover. Thanks for your thoughts!

Hello David,
There was no risk that I could forget you. I followed your health fights on Facebook, as you may remember. I'm not trying to be friend with everyone but I takes a lot to make me backtrack on the friendship that I extended.
You can rely on me for many more years.
Nice to hear from you. Since I'm moving to the US, we may have more opportunities to see each other again.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Wonderful! Europe's loss is our gain. To where and when are you relocating?
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Two of my favorite Café posters are David and Etienne. I always learn so much from them!
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Wow, that's an honor to be included in the same thought as Etienne. Everything I know about cups and balls, I learned from Bill, Pete, Etienne and Johnny Thompson.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » I'm now a front loader....(I think.) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL