The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Round Sub Trunk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
showi
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of showi
Hello,
my name is Andreas.
Illusionist from Germany.

Do You know, who build the Round Version of the Hans Klok Sub-Trunk (Metamorphosis)?
The round one is not often seen and the performance is easier, because you have more space on top.
Thank you very much.
Yours Andreas
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Not sure, but you could try Dutch Illusion Design
http://www.di-design.nl/
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
The builder of the original round sub-trunk of Hans Klok, was John Hedy.
But that was about 25 years ago. Hedy has stopped working, because he is retired nowadays.
But I guess that Dick of Dutch Illusion Design can help you out; he has built one of the
latest "trunks" for Klok.
But it's better to be creative then copying Hans Klok, because he is touring Germany again
in a few weeks.
(note: Dick is the father of Marcel Kalisvaart, winner Grand Prix - illusions 2012)
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
A round hotbox style sub trunk has been around for 60 plus years (that I know of), Peter Diamond of England used to have it in his catalogue.

And it has been published in many books. So if you want to go round, go round!

Blair
AllAboutMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
California
333 Posts

Profile of AllAboutMagic
Quote:
On 2012-11-26 15:35, john wills wrote:

But it's better to be creative then copying Hans Klok, because he is touring Germany again
in a few weeks.

Way to throw your assumption that is is trying to copy Klok in there!! I guess Klok should be ashamed that he copied Houdini. Or Copperfield should be ashamed because he copied Henning when he performed Origami. I have yet to see one unique subtrunk. And how many ways can you actually perform the subtrunk and not inadvertantly copy someone else? Yes, there are subtleties amongst performers, but you ask a lay person who saw the Pendragons one day, and Angel the next, and Klok the following, and they will simply tell you they all did the same trick. Until someone gives you an indication or proof that they intend to copy someone we all should just SHUT IT. Unfortunately, I believe that would be impossible around here.
illusiontech
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
210 Posts

Profile of illusiontech
If a builder has a picture of a prop on his site and is allowed to sell it due to his arrangement with the client he built it for, then so be it!! Just because the trunk is round doesn't mean the performer can't make it their own. And I also agree with Blair's comment on the history of the piece!

Vinny
David Nathan Magic
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of David Nathan Magic
One of his round subtrunks was made by his father who was illusion builder. he also built Hans' Dekolta Chair
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Hans Klok fan,

If you read the book Hans Klok - "portret van een beroepsbedrieger" (portrait of a professional cheater) by Pieter van Hove,
then you will find on page 27 that John Hedi has build the FIRST round subtrunk (ronde hoedendoos = round hatbox) for Hans Klok.
I know for sure that's the REAL story about that illusion.
His swordbox he has bought from Cornell & Monique and the Lightsuspension he BORROWED from Ger Copper.
That's the illusionact he started with.
David Nathan Magic
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of David Nathan Magic
Are you dutch? because I am.
and what do you mean by lightsuspension?
his father also built one of his subtrunks. that is in the same book!
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
The Lightsuspension is an illusion that goes (as often) under different names.
Nowadays it's called the Neon Bulb Suspension.
In short: a Broomstick Illusion, but the broomstick is replaced by a light tube.
The same book, see photo on page 60.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I believe the light tube version was invented by Chuck Kirkham, in California, 30-40 years ago. First time I saw him do it, it blew me away. I then booked him onto a show I brought to Japan around 1980.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
illusiontech
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
210 Posts

Profile of illusiontech
Just found a Tannen's ad in an 1980 Genii Magazine with a round sub trunk advertised!!

Doesn't say who the maker was, but most likely they were getting it from Europe.

Vinny
MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of MagicalMotivator
I believe Jack Bateman had a round "ladies hat box" meta back in the 60's - think there is a photo of it in one of the Magic Inc. yearbooks.

Rick
Rick Rossini The Magical Motivator
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2579 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
AllAboutMagic wrote:
Quote:
I have yet to see one unique subtrunk.

In a flagrant act of self proselytising I'd just like to say that it's a shame you missed my subtrunk routine in 1996 at Blackpool Magician's Convention Competition. If you had I'm pretty sure you'd want to add a caveat to your post. I performed my subtrunk after two other acts had performed a subtrunk in their acts the same competition on the same evening. My act, that ended with my subtunk routine, got the biggest reaction I've ever seen any magic routine get anywhere.

It literally stopped the show. The MC had to abandon introducing the next act and leave the stage because he simply couldn't get the audience to settle down.

It was a one off moment of glory.

:)
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
I think Jack Hughes built the hatbox style trunk in England back in the 60's. I seem to remember Korengo performing it here in the US.
Thatoldblackmagic
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Thatoldblackmagic
Jack Hughes did build several round style subs, I know Nardini owns a round sub (the first one I had seen).
Scotland's first winner of the Edinburgh International Magic Festival's first place award. ~ Allen Tipton's magic Student. ~ Magic Historian and Collector ~ Built magic for Scotland's top Pantomimes ,Cats ,The Wizard of Oz and a few other shows. ~ As seen on TV theatre and film Smile Aged 17
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Just for further info the Hat Box Substitution is described and detailed in Vol. 1 of the Jack Hughes trilogy (1981) but little dating of any props appears in those volumes.

Also the box described is not actually round, but 6 sided.

B
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

As a reference for my note about Peter Diamond above, I finally found the flyer, the substitution "Hat Box" appears in his "Magic News" No.1 (undated ad flyer) but he refers to acts using it in their 1965 season. There is an ad for a truly round trunk, and photos of two different British acts using them.

B
harbour
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of harbour
I think Chuck Jones used to do a hatbox type in the eighties.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Just for information : There's one for sale at magicauction.com in the "Illusions located outside USA" section.

Oliver.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Round Sub Trunk (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL