The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism and Reveals on a spectators smart phone (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
hersheymagic
View Profile
Regular user
Harrisburg, PA
126 Posts

Profile of hersheymagic
@Jon_Thompson I never claimed ALL android phones have NFC. In fact, I said it's new technology and there are only a few that have it right now but within 3-6 months you will start seeing more phones with it.

@phillsmiff sure if that's how you're planning on starting the routine!

Start the routine talking about how SMART smart phones really are. Talk about the Iphone and people waiting in line for it. THEN bring up the Galaxy S III or whatever phone you want to use but the GSIII is the hottest android phone right now so odds are SOMEONE watching has one! It isn't a spoil at all because the effect is talking about how smart the phones really are, and in an attempt to demonstrate you need to borrow someone who has the specific phone you're looking for. OPENLY tell them how to turn on the technology or check to see if it's on because their phone will need to access the internet to find the object it's about to display on your phone. (true statement) MAKE IT PART OF THE ROUTINE rather than trying to hide it. Don't play it off as THAT'S the big WOW here.... The WOW factor is that an audience member picks a card and the card she/he picked ends up on someone else's smartphone (or whatever you want to display on their phone).

My initial post was just simply asking if there was interest in having a version for mentalism. I already have the regular version we have in production for the card trick. If there isn't any interest I'll stick with the card version. Was just offering to make a version customized more for this field rather than a card trick. Thanks for everyone's input.

Keith
Keith Hanshaw

http://smartphonecardtrick.com

SAM Life Member

Current IBM Member
YitzhakNoDice
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of YitzhakNoDice
One could use the Smart Phone Trick if you can incorporate the spec's phone into the effect. Consider a seance, for example. Assuming you have written an EMF detector phone app (perhaps g*****ked!), you can ask a sitter to turn on their phone and download the app, explaining that it will detect the presence of a spirit. At an appropriate time, you can send a spooky image or reveal a message from beyond the grave. If you are very clever, the EMF detector phone app could active at the same or another appropriate time. Finding a way to get them to turn on the phone (they probably have been previously reminded to turn it off) in a seemingly natural way would be the challenge.
A wise man's question contains half the answer. - Solomon ben Judah, Philosopher
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2837 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
My initial post was just simply asking if there was interest in having a version for mentalism. I already have the regular version we have in production for the card trick. If there isn't any interest I'll stick with the card version. Was just offering to make a version customized more for this field rather than a card trick. Thanks for everyone's input.

Keith

So this could be done for perhaps a word or ESP symbol, maybe even have some sort of thought of song start playing instead of a picture? I do not have a phone with the required chip, but those things could be done?
hersheymagic
View Profile
Regular user
Harrisburg, PA
126 Posts

Profile of hersheymagic
Yes if you have a method to force ANYTHING... .you can make it appear on someone else's phone with this effect. I would imagine you could play a sound file as well as long as you load it.
Keith Hanshaw

SAM Life Member

Current IBM Member
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
Great thinking and work Hersheymagic! Sounds like youve thought even more in depth than your first post made out. Youve got some great ideas and cant wait to see some of them. Love the TT idea...that would be pretty cool if a thought of word were to just appear without any questionable actions.

I still question weather people will put two and two together when it comes to the technology. I guess it will depend on how popular these tags become in public use. But at the same time, making the word appear on their phone is just an added feature..the real magic is coming up with the word they were thinking in the first place. I see what you were talking about when you rebuttled my first post. Its not about the technology effect...there is still mystery in making the actual outcome happen.

Good luck and will be watching.
hersheymagic
View Profile
Regular user
Harrisburg, PA
126 Posts

Profile of hersheymagic
Thanks videokideo. They would still need to have their nfc function enabled but with a TT you could simply wave your hand near their phone and it would launch the requested image and load it on their phone. That idea came from Mike Snyder from the Magic of Mike Snyder and Donna from Lancaster, PA.

The magic is the reveal of the selected card, word, symbol etc not the technology of how it got there. Be open with the technology and it won't feel like you're trying to dupe them with passing off the technology as the magic! The ability to beam the selection to their phone is only the delivery of the selection not magic itself!

Thanks again,

Keith
Keith Hanshaw

SAM Life Member

Current IBM Member
Uncle Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Japan
194 Posts

Profile of Uncle Joe
My best mentalism effect with a phone would be Foretold by Devin Knight. It's brilliant.
PhilDean
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

Profile of PhilDean
I don't get electronic things like this. It sounds like a fine magic trick but it's not really mentalism. Especially when the answer 'it's some kind of remote electronic thing' is really obvious.
MagicalEducator
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of MagicalEducator
Very interesting idea using technology. My opinion is that anything that uses technology as a prop reveals the only possible explanation for how it could be done...more technology. This leaves the performer with no unique powers except that he/she owns the special electronic box. Leaving the spectator to think that If they have the box then I can do magic too. Sadly many magicians/mentalist think this. I don't think this is magical but more that of a cool gadget. Still, I wish you success with it and hope that you prove me wrong.

Jeff
Voted "Canada's Most Inspirational Magician"
www.MagicalEducator.com

Check out my column "Magic is Education" in Vanish Magazine
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism and Reveals on a spectators smart phone (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL