We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » What do people fear (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
I am working on a show where we Explore peoples fears. So far I have bries alive, hanging, Ghost, Witches, Vampires, Egytian curses... What are som of the fears you would include?
WR Smile

Here are some sites with my, and the help of others, effects;
http://www.bizarremagick.com/contributions.html
http://www.online-visions.com/effects/index-bizarre.html
http://www.dragonskull.co.uk/extra_lectures.htm
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3367 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Burned alive. Drowning.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2684 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
I know some people who are deathly afraid of CLOWNS!

:clownjuggling:

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
The number one fear that people in general have is the fear of being in front of an audience.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3046 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Rick is spot on. There are also entire books about phobias and anxieties in the psychology section of your favorite bookstore.

Here's one that's not exactly in-depth, but indisputably fun:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det......;s=books
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), and contributor to the ebook GOLD: When It HAS To Be Performance GOLD -- all at Penguin.
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
WR,

That's a great idea for a show!

I'm pathologically afraid of snakes. I braved the reptile house at my local zoo, recently, so my young sone could see inside, but I felt decidedly weird, and exhausted when I finally staggered outside.

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Arachnophobia and Ophidiophobia are the winners.
I am thinking about an idea from KOTAH or Ronald J. Dayton as some may know him for Arachnophobia. And am thinking of an idea for Ophidiophobia (Snakes).(Think I will call it Caleb fear....Smile
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
mystic1
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of mystic1
Card magicians !
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Quote:
On 2003-11-05 15:13, mystic1 wrote:
Card magicians !
Too scary. Maybe I will do PHOBIA by ? and instead of the rattle snake egg I will use a spring snake in a box or something.
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
At the risk of soundling like I'm having fun with this (and I'm not!) play into MODERN fears:

IRS audits,
terrorism,
being broke in old age,
AIDS
death by fire, falling, strangulation
having to speak to a large group of people (according to the American Psychiatric Association, this is THE No, 1 fear today!),
being permamently injured and maimed

There's some really scary stuff on that list, especially the IRS and public speaking ones. People have been to go totally catatonic when faced with either of those - no joke.

Don't know if this helps, but...

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Walon
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Walon
Having body parts cut off, none too cleanly.
"Trauma is the Engine of Initiation"

Walon
Purveyor of Fine Used Souls
ELS
View Profile
Regular user
Chicagoland area, IL
191 Posts

Profile of ELS
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear. And the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown". H.P.Lovecraft

Ed Smile
Were the border between the natural and the supernatural will be nothing any more but fuzzy. http://edwardshanahan.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What people fear is what they choose not to face. Doubt, Denial, Bad decisions they know will haunt them... those are real fears.

The antique metaphors made visual by children's stories have nothing close to their original impact. Why parade childrens monsters for adults?

You want fear? Look at the driver ahead of you on the road... they might sneeze and lose control of their car. And the driver to your right who is passing in the slow lane is about to cut ahead of you.

More fears? Okay. The doctor giving you the flu shot might not have gotten out a clean syringe...and the patient before you looked very sickly. Maybe that needle is contaminated with AIDS?

Remember when your elderly relative got ill? Well their hospital bills have you as responsible party. And they just found you on their paper work and the bills are starting to come in. For hundreds of thousands of dollars.

More fears? Are you sure? Okay... Did you know that all your internet posts and email and news groups are monitored? And the program that sifts these things has bugs. Your internet id might get confused with someoen elses and the combined content could trip off the flags at our PATRIOT agencies. There might be someone waiting to talk to you at the door now. If you are lucky they will knock. And if you are real lucky they will only talk to you... otherwise you might dissapear.

More fears? Please, just getting started. Let's talk about the new form of herpes that...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
530 Posts

Profile of sludge
Quote:
On 2003-11-05 12:43, Peter Loughran wrote:
I know some people who are deathly afraid of CLOWNS!

:clownjuggling:

P.

Peter you're evil Smile Specifically jesters with me, phew...
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
WR,

I love your idea. I almost hate to mention it because I enjoy doing my own rendition of it, but check out Luke Jeremy's book, 7 Deceptions. There's a great effect in there concerning phobias you might like to think about for a closer to your show. It's just called the 7th Deception. It's a very cool "psychological ceremony" in which you remove someone's phobia. I've actually had one person tell me that it worked. Who says there's no real magic.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3367 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
People fear their own mortality. So death is always a good topic when your talking about fear.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I think fear for the unknown is an excellent startingpoint for a presentation. I use it a little more specifically in fear for darkness for one of my routines. And surprisingly (or not) my finishing lines are of the same content as Jontown's opening remarks...

I have a little book, probably no longer in print, that's called Real Magic by Philip Bonewitz. It adresses this item in a very intriguing way.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
One concern in doing a show based on fears would be audience distancing FROM the effects themselves.

When SciFi Channel debuted they show "Fear Factor" my first comment was, "somebody's going to get hurt by a victim taking this too seriously and responding with deadly force." My second comment was, "This show is a lawsuit just ITCHING to happen!"

The premise of the show is that a "friend" (and I use quotes because I don't think that how they scare these people is anything a real friend would do to someone!), nearly to death.

In one segment of the show, they had a guy take a supposedly deadly shot to the head while the target "friend" was doing the person's HAIR! His hands were washing the lady's head when the "killing" took place (IIRC).

Now if that isn't an "intentional infliction of emotional harm" suit that's a slam dunk waiting in the wings, I have NO idea of what is!

In another segment, they have some guy playing a crazed psycho chasing the "victim" through a building with a running chainsaw!

Let's see - torts assault, assault with a deadly weapon (the assault being predicated on the perception of a real attack in the mind of the victim in most jurisdictions), intentional infliction of emotional harm, attempted murder, and the list goes on.

If you are going to do a show based on fear, keep the audience out of it, IMPO.

Frankly, I'm waiting for Fear Factor to pull another psycho attack on someone and finding out that the victim is really a big time martial arts type who proceeds to kick the living daylights out of the "psycho" and then the director and Shannon Dougherty (the show's host).

Can you tell that I really HATE the concept of that show? Smile Someone is going to get seriously hurt or killed on that show. Trust me on this. Lawsuits to follow. Big time.

So, in doing your show, CYA - Cover Your Assets! Smile

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
Seance
View Profile
Elite user
Talking on the other side with
404 Posts

Profile of Seance
Lee,

Just to clear up something: "Fear Factor" is the NBC show that has contestants doing something gross or in an extreme type of stunt (e.g. eating worms or driving a car and flipping it). The one on the Sci-Fi channel that you're describing is titled "Scare Tatics".

I agree with you on the liability issue and I'm sure "Scare Tatics" lawyers have signed wavers up the wazoo to insure against lawsuits of this kind.

It seems to me that the trend on TV is to embarrass or humiliate the people on the show as far as I can see:"Punked" on MTV, "Joe Schmo" on Spike, "Scare Tatics" on Sci-Fi, "Average Joe" on NBC. Hopefully, this trend will wither away and die quickly.

Dave
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Dave, you are absolutely correct! The name of the show IS Scare Tactics.

My apologies - too early a morning and too little coffee.

I just wonder how the Scare Tactics people can get waivers in advance of the "surprise" stunts they pull.

I know that if I were being chased by some nutjob with a chainsaw that my initial reaction would be to run for the nearest weapon (as I have 2 bad knees and can't run far) and to do as much hurt as possible to the attacker.

How do you protect the people doing the stunt against someone who won't "play the game" and who fights back?

Mark my words - someone is going to get hurt and the show WILL get sued - big time.

Unless the whole thing is staged, of course. At which point, their credibility goes in the dumper and the "Entertainment value" (questionable at best, IMHO), goes right down the toilet as well.

Any attorneys out there want to check in on how a show might protect itself against that kind of litigation?

Thanks!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » What do people fear (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL