The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Can you do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicshayne
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of magicshayne
Hi all I am hopeing some of the workers could give me some advice please?

When some specs have seen a magician on tv do some effect and they ask CAN YOU DO IT? what would your reply be?

I am not into putting down other magicians ok maybe C Angel is an exception lol but since dynamo has hit the uk tv seen I get asked this so much I work at least 3 times a week and can you put a phone in the bottle sentance is wearing me out dam you dynamo lol

all help is much appreciated thank you
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
280 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
People tell me all the time they have seen dynamo and Criss angel. They already enjoy magic so your job is half done! Do your material that you do well and they will be blown away and probably forget all about the question.

If they don't than I don't see the harm in saying you can't do the trick and you also agree that it is an amazing trick. No need to put anyone down, if anything it will make you look bad especially considering they make your job easier.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I let them go for a few minutes and then just politely ask...Tell you what, rather than doing a bunch of stuff that you've already seen someone else do on TV, I just do what I do RIGHT HERE IN FRONT OF YOU. They usually get the point.
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of illusionistaxe
This has happened a lot of times to me too. So I use pattern interruption most of the time. If somebody asks me "Can you do it?", I go like "That was good isn't it? Check this out I want to show you something". I never answer their question and directly go ahead with what I want to show them. As themagicguy said, they will forget all about the question.

If I am not having anything on me then I admit "He is good. I cant do it. But I could show you something which probably he couldn't do. Give me a minute". They will definitely wait. This is an opportunity to prepare for a gimmicked effect as well. Hope it helped.
magicshayne
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of magicshayne
Some intresting replys the thing is when you show them strong magic thay almost seem to expect you to put the phone in the bottle, I mostly get asked at the end of my performances and usually just show them something else and that seems to get rid of them just looking for other ideas or lines like the one can you do that again? reply: I hope so I have another show tommorow.... bla bla bla

anyhow thanks for the reply's any 1 else out there please feel free to comment :-}
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Try this,

"Oh yeah dynamo dose that its amazing hay, that's his thing".

Now I will either go "Check this out it diffrent" Or I do a multi phase rubber band trick that is a great hit. " Yeah some people spend ages working on getting a phone in a Bottle. I dint waste time like that. I wasted time like this"

You can give the idea that it a reputation builder. Or I prefer to give the idea that like artist there are different martriles we can work in.

This is pretty much what has already been said. but I hope writing it in script form just brings it out a bit. NNow mold and play with it.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
"some people know that a magician never performs a trick twice, well, by the same token, we never perform a trick that you saw someone else do" okay I've never said that, because honestly I usually just say no and pull them back into the effect I'm doing.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I say, That is his own trick and I would never steal someone else's material.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
jimvines
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn, NY
161 Posts

Profile of jimvines
Lots of good suggestions in here.

Most important point is, never say anything bad about another magician, to laymen. Even if the layman is saying something bad, don't join in. It looks very unprofessional to badmouth a fellow magi.
Magic & Mentalism
taiga
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicoutimi, Qc
317 Posts

Profile of taiga
"(...) Ho, you've already saw that! Then, you know the final surprise, and without surprise there's no magic! Let me show you something else that I think you are gonna like (...)"

I used that line often when I was working in restaurants. Always worked!!
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of illusionistaxe
Quote:
On 2012-12-01 15:09, jimvines wrote:
Lots of good suggestions in here.

Most important point is, never say anything bad about another magician, to laymen. Even if the layman is saying something bad, don't join in. It looks very unprofessional to badmouth a fellow magi.

Very good point!
setsuna83
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of setsuna83
What happens if you performed a multi-phase rubberband routine and then the spectator says "That looks so easy. Show me something else like how that guy on tv did that ......". What do you think would be a nice way to respond?
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Quote:
What happens if you performed a multi-phase rubberband routine and then the spectator says "That looks so easy. Show me something else like how that guy on tv did that ......". What do you think would be a nice way to respond?

You don't need a clever response. You need a better act. Practice, study, keep at it.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Siraldi
View Profile
Regular user
Johnson City, Tennessee
102 Posts

Profile of Siraldi
What I do is frame control. You control the conversation. When they ask this of me; I usually get bright eyed really quick and just say "Check THIS out!" and go on. I either do an amazing trick at that point; or I do something stupidly funny that leads into a trick. I do a "prediction" where I place a card on the table and they think of a card.... but on my card all 52 cards are shown. Then I'm just like "wasn't that impressive" and start a routine. But frame control.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Can you do? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL