The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Regal's The Linking Finger Ring Project (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
OK....Here's my quick review:

First, a preface.........

Like many who post here, I have had MANY Himber-Type rings, and, for the most part, the quality of the props were CRAP...just plain CRAP.....

That was until I decided to get serious about Himber Rings.......This happenned after purchasing Dean's Box and seeing the DVD that came with that prop, with Dean adding a "Phase IV" effect to his routine using a Porper/Biro AmazeRing. So I ordered AmazeRing and just love it............and have been playing with it so explore it's possibilities....more about that in a bit....

So, I began to think seriously about adding "Ring Bits" to my close-up, hospitality suites and platform performances......and then VOILA!....the post on this thread about David Regal's version.....it sure got my interest!

David's product is outstanding in EVERY WAY. His performace and tutoring of such is straightforward and higly commercial..yet he goes on to say that he designed his set of rings as "Utility Props" and that's exactly what they are...QUALITY UTILTY PROPS FOR TRICKS WITH LINKING FINGER RINGS.....and NOT LIMITED TO DAVID's Routine.....therein lies the value.

David's routine, in and of itself, is strong and direct and commercial enough to be used as A CLOSER in professional work.

I honestyly believe that this set along with David's instructions will spark creative juices and give any serious student of magic a "versatile working kit of Himber Ring props to build various routines from".

I will also say that, with today's prices for quality new magic props, this set is a BARGAIN FOR THE PRICE. You get a TON of great magic here!

You will not be dissapointed by buying and using the David Regal Linking Ring Project...

FIVE STARS!!!
harbour
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of harbour
This is now in my routine.
Just finished three small shows (25-40 people) in the UK, NY and in LA.
It blew everyone away and is the new unexpected favorite.
These were upper tier shows for a high net worth clientle.
This product is very highly reommended.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Thank you everyone. I'm sorry for the delay in replying but I now have more sets available.
c4rlito
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of c4rlito
Is it possible to perform this onstage using a video screen? What kind of set up would be best for this to play in a 2000 seater theatre?
Best Regards,
Matthew McGurk
British Magical Champion
https://www.matthewmcgurk.com
https://www.mymagiccourse.com/
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I imagine it could be done, though depending on the camera location you may have more angle considerations.

Personally I wouldn’t try this for a large group; it seems better suited for a more intimate stage setup or parlour.

Of course that's just my opinion - others might (and often do!) think differently!

Jim
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Quote:
On 2013-06-23 04:53, c4rlito wrote:
Is it possible to perform this onstage using a video screen? What kind of set up would be best for this to play in a 2000 seater theatre?

Steve Wyrick did Linking finger rings at his Planet Hollywood show. Many others have done it as well in huge stages. It just depends how you set and present it up.

J-M
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
The Penguin Magic Review, Episode #2, featured Regal's Linking Finger Ring Project:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOkNH8gtX......&t=2m21s

Live performance by David: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3148
magicjluc
View Profile
New user
australia and France
61 Posts

Profile of magicjluc
I used to perform the LFR with a cheap version and it was working well, and I just ordered David Regal's version, but I was wondering is there much difference in the props between David's version and the ghostly linking fingers ring from Porper??
Thanks.
JL
Zatanna,female magician and mentalist, 2007,2008 & 2009 WA's Magician of the year, 2011 Fringe Festival magic slam winner. Festival Off d'Avignon 2021 2022.
Magicien professionnel au féminin close-up et scène Cannes Monaco Côte d'Azur.
https://www.zatanna.pro
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Mark Kalin is using these rings to perform for audiences in the thousands, utilizing a video screen.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
JL -

My set is three rings (even though you only need one to perform my routine), plus a DVD and gimmicks for the Koran visual unlink. The concept was to provide tools with which one can perform any routine desired, and the cost of the three rings is far less than other quality gimmicked rings. The rings, which were designed from the ground up, are:

1) A locking ring made in the manner typically seen.
2) A matching duplicate
3) A matching ring that uses a different closing system, allowing for streamlining some elements of the routine.

More info can be found here:

http://davidregal.com/the-linking-finger-ring-project/

David
dimagico
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of dimagico
Hi there, I am considering to buy either David Regal's Linking Finger Ring Project or Joe Porper's Ghostly Linking Finger Rings. The price difference is huge, what makes me believe that Porper's version should have or can do something Regal's version does not.

Please advice which of the sets would be the better buy.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
I have both and use both, however I do find myself using regals rings more and more. I find that even close up this kills. The whole routining is amazing and visually stunning. linking ghostly finger rings is great as well, however you will need to be more concerned with how close you are with them. In my opinion! regals creates a routine for you. and you change or patter it as you will! the moment the rings separates from the pencil always gets a reaction!
contact hocus-pocus. Paul can answer any questions he can!
hocus-pocus.com
1800 407-4040
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
c4rlito
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of c4rlito
Quote:
On 2013-10-30 17:24, David Regal wrote:
Mark Kalin is using these rings to perform for audiences in the thousands, utilizing a video screen.

David I saw Mark do this the Uk tour of the illusionists. Something told me it was yours. Needless to say I'll be placing my order immediatly! Would there be any concerns using a static camera on stage / screens for a close up of the link and unlink?
Best Regards,
Matthew McGurk
British Magical Champion
https://www.matthewmcgurk.com
https://www.mymagiccourse.com/
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
There's nothing to worry about.
Joni River
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Joni River
I got Regals Finger Rings and they are superb!
My question is:what do you think is the minimum people required to perform this efect?And maximum without screen?I want to perfom it in a 400 seats theatre.
Regards
TheMagicalMan
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of TheMagicalMan
Now guys I have this problem to. This is a nearly 5 star effect that I would like to perform to this effect for a while now. The problem is there are so many out there with a huge range of prices, yet they all look the same in my eyes. I don't know how it's done and maybe that's why, but I'm looking forward to doing this effect. May anyone guide me please ?
The simple effect I'm looking for is borrowing 3 finger rings, linking them and not touching them (using a pencil) and the spectator & cam can come really close to see they are actually linked.

Is David Regal's version the best one out there & simplest ? Seems that way from the reviews.
I loved Lu Chen's performance of it (was it new year's eve or what, don't remember, but I'm not asking for Lu Chen's exact version, could be too expensive for me).

Thanks anyways.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Might be better to see what is available first and then design your effect. (Unless of course you can make your own props like Tommy Wonder did!) You will pretty much have to work with the props that are out there.

In my opinion, David's are the best I have seen, though admittedly I haven't seen them all. Have you watched his video? That should give you a good idea.

Jim
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2014, TheMagicalMan wrote:
Now guys I have this problem to. This is a nearly 5 star effect that I would like to perform to this effect for a while now. The problem is there are so many out there with a huge range of prices, yet they all look the same in my eyes. I don't know how it's done and maybe that's why, but I'm looking forward to doing this effect. May anyone guide me please ?
The simple effect I'm looking for is borrowing 3 finger rings, linking them and not touching them (using a pencil) and the spectator & cam can come really close to see they are actually linked.

Is David Regal's version the best one out there & simplest ? Seems that way from the reviews.
I loved Lu Chen's performance of it (was it new year's eve or what, don't remember, but I'm not asking for Lu Chen's exact version, could be too expensive for me).

Since you don't know how it works I would suggest just getting something like Stevens DVD on linking finger rings in general or any other published work in general to familiarize yourself with the basic method. Most of the routines work pretty much same way, the main difference is the gaff. But there is also certain limitations to the routine that performer must be aware of. In that sense I feel that the Stevens dvd might be the best place to start since it shows many different approaches on the routine. But linking finger rings isn't a close up routine or family and friends routine. Its really for slightly larger audiences that are more spread and are not in contact with you every day

Juha-Matti
Thanks anyways.
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
@themagicalman. The linking finger rings is a classic trick with a lot of history behind them. Many rings have been made all generally using the basic methods. What David's rings and routine give you is a very clear and easy way of performing them. What you receive is very well made and come with both traditional design
And David new design which I use all the time. The teachings on the DVD leave nothing out. David is very clear with everything. I've added this to my shows and the response I receive is amazing. Buy David's rings. You will use them and they will last a very very long time.
Just my thoughts!
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
mjanes
View Profile
New user
Gig Harbor, WA
66 Posts

Profile of mjanes
As a relative novice who began taking seriously the study and critical practice of magic, many years ago I bought an inexpensive Himber style ring which came with a short set of instructions. While reading them I could vividly imagine the performance, a room full of guests.... Linen covered dining tables.... Jewelry, cocktail glasses, elegance. And as I pictured the effect of LFR being unfolded before them the wonder of it drew me, but I never thought I would have the confidence and skill to pull it off. A few years ago I purchased David's set, together with another well-respected set which I have since sold (glorious and well crafted, but not a good fit for my style.). David's routine is so nicely crafted, simple and direct. I have added an empty wine glass sequence to my rendition, dropping "first one ring, then the others" and swirling them briefly before pouring them into my hand. The results are gratifying, and I am indebted (again) to David and the many who have gone before us, to create LFR in its present form. I now gratefully (and more confidently) regard this effect as a personal favorite, in every act ( and I carry one of David's set in a pocket purse for impromptu use). Thank you, David!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » David Regal's The Linking Finger Ring Project (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL