The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » GOODBYE DOLLAR BILLS (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
740 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/2......-578900/

US Gov't is looking to discontinue $1 bills and replacing with sole use of $1 coins like our Northern Neighbor (who even has a $2 coin) ...

This is good and bad: no more Hundy 500, Extreme Burn, or First Hand, etc; but imagine all the new coin routines that would be created!

Thoughts?
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, none will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."Hebrews 13:2
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3645 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I wish we had the old silver dollar size coins or even the old 50 cent size.

All the coins now seem about two sizes (showing my age).

Will you be hoarding dollar bills or spending off your crisp consecutive serial number stashes?

-Mary Mowder
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5838 Posts

Profile of motown
The ladies at the dance clubs will have to start carrying pouches. Smile
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Andrew M
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Andrew M
Lack of $1 bills doesn't stop you from doing magic with larger value bills. The UK hasn't had a £1 note since 1988, but First Hand has still been at the top of the bestsellers list for some UK magic shops.
Philip Busk
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Philip Busk
And for how long have they talked about getting rid of the penny?
Philip Busk
MikeHolbrook
View Profile
Regular user
USA, Angier, NC
112 Posts

Profile of MikeHolbrook
I believe the government was hoping that would happen with the Sacagawea dollar. I still find one in my change once in a while where it was mistaken for a quarter. I don't mind that they try again and put more thought into the coin this time.

Mike
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5293 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I say overhaul the system: Make paper and coin money sized by value instead of the craziness we have now.

BTW I wouldn’t have a problem with eliminating $1 bills and going with coins - but they need to make the quarter and dollar coins significantly different in size. Much too close now.

The biggest complaint I hear wrt coins replacing dollar bills is that all those coins will be too heavy in people's pockets. How many dollar bills do most folks carry around? I rarely have more than five singles at a time. Five of the smaller dollar coins wouldn’t bother me.

Jim
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5293 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Oh, and something I hope I never, ever see is selling naming rights on coins and/or paper currency! Can you really handle "The Domino's Pizza Dollar" coin? Shoot, they have ruined college bowl games for me already!!

Jim
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Where did you get the idea that Extereme Burn has such limited options. If you use your imagination you could do Extreme Burn with super market coupons to Japanese yen if you wanted.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6882 Posts

Profile of bowers
Other countrys have been doing this for years now.
and they say it works so much better.
a dollar bill doesn't have much of a life span
before it has to be replaced.i don't think it will
hurt the magic efects though.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1886 Posts

Profile of slyhand
My father would tell me as a child that the government would not be making one dollar bills any longer.

When I asked why, he said "Because they are long enough already!"
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
;>) Good one Sly! Right on time.
John
Nothing is better than more.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Leave it to our government to go poking their noses were it don't belong. Smile in our magic
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2012-12-25 23:46, J-Mac wrote:
I say overhaul the system: Make paper and coin money sized by value instead of the craziness we have now.

Jim

Jim,
You apparently don't perform Extreme Burn, or one of the earlier versions. It is one of the best close up effects there is, and we are very fortunate in the United States that our currency is uniform in size.
I am in no hurry to change currency size based on value. I selfishly want to continue to turn a stack of ones into a stack of hundreds. Very strong magic.

Cheers!
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2013-01-31 23:35, Sammy J. wrote:
Quote:

Jim

Jim,
You apparently don't perform Extreme Burn, or one of the earlier versions. It is one of the best close up effects there is, and we are very fortunate in the United States that our currency is uniform in size.
I am in no hurry to change currency size based on value. I selfishly want to continue to turn a stack of ones into a stack of hundreds. Very strong magic.

Cheers!
Sammy

Hi Sammy
I'm gonna start stocking up on one dollar bills now. I'll use a patter similar to Michael Ammar's patter for why they stopped making two dollar bills. For example , " They stopped making one dollar bill because people were taking them and turning them into twenty's.

This is going to effect a couple of my favorite effects,Mismade bill,ultra night shades and fraud.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5293 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2013-01-31 23:35, Sammy J. wrote:
Quote:

Jim

Jim,

Cheers!
Sammy

But I do have EB2 and love it. Beyond magic however, the utility of same-size currency is bad in general for everyone else. (And especially the blind!) I'm talking common sense and logic, not necessarily what is best for magicians. In that respect, yes, same-size currency works best for our effects.

Thanks!

Jim
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5293 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Ralph, they haven't stopped making two dollar bills. I just purchased some!

Jim
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2013-02-02 15:01, J-Mac wrote:
Ralph, they haven't stopped making two dollar bills. I just purchased some!

Jim

Maybe I got the patter for Michael Arrmars two dollar bill trick wrong. This is the one where he tears the two dollar bill into two ones. I could have swore that he said "the reason the government stopped making two dollar bills was because people were ripping them in half" then he showed the two ones.
Well anyway... I'm ready for when they stop making ones !
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5293 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I think Michael Ammar did say that - I have that video. Harry Anderson says it in his recent Penguin lecture too. Got me concerned enough that I decided to look around and buy up what I could. What I found was that while they are not being printed currently, the reason for that is there is about $1,500,000,000 in $2 bills currently in circulation. The US Treasury says that they only print them when the Federal Reserve requests more to be printed, and they haven't done so for about 8 or 9 years - because demand is low and there are plenty already in circulation. But the $2 bill is still a "circulating denomination of US currency".

Thanks!

Jim
Chris Westfall
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
252 Posts

Profile of Chris Westfall
From a canadian point of view!!!!!

The coins that we use as 1 dollar and two dollar coins are great they are a good size and neat in colour! since we have 1 and 2 dollar coins there are some really cool things with a canadian copper/silver coins! stuff you might even be interested in... like really cool!

we actually discontinued the penny today feb. 1st 2013 and our bills have changed from paper to plastic that is almost impossible to rip, it has a clear strips down the bills that that are transparent and the bill wont stay folded or creased.... so consider yourself lucky!

AND PLEASE SOMEONE GO TO THE BANK GET SOME CANADIAN BILLS.. THE PLASTIC ONES (they all will be soon) and come up with some new and never seen before magic with this futuristic cash!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » GOODBYE DOLLAR BILLS (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL