The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » What is 'Your' favourite stacked deck? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Wallace
View Profile
Loyal user
Bangor, Northern Ireland
208 Posts

Profile of Wallace
Richard Robinson has a video clip on his Allmagic site which shows Boris Wild using that very 'head turning' to cover the use of his BW marked deck. Smile
Wallace B
P T Flea
View Profile
Regular user
Engelfield Green, nr Staines - innit
194 Posts

Profile of P T Flea
Quote:
You can perform this effect with any stack if you truly have memorized it. If using a cyclical stack such as Si Stebbins then you don't have to memorize anything.

Well, there is SOME stuff to remember. As soon as they pick the card and you perform the cut, their card doesn't just pop into your head, you have to work it out.
Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from
bad judgement.
Smile Smile Smile Smile
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Being fairly new to the Cafe, I just came across this thread.

As often happens, there is confusion about a stacked deck and a memorized deck. The Si Stebbens, Eight Kinds, and Hungry Jackass Stacks allow you to mathematically calculate cards at certain positions. (The next card is the easiest.) But, with a memorized deck, there is no calculation. Some one says, for example, "Seven of Hearts" and you simply remember that it is the 25th card. (Or, it is in the Aronson Stack.)

The Aronson Stack was put together by Simon Aronson to allow you to do many different card effects. Many of them do not require that you have the stack memorized. However, if you do memorize his stack, then you can do a lot more effects.

Theoretically, you could just shuffle a deck and then memorize the cards in that random manner. And, there would be many wonderful tricks you could do with that deck. However, if you're going to take the time to commit the positions of 52 cards to memory, it makes more sense to use a stack which will allow you to do many other tricks. There have been many of these full deck stacks created over the years. The Nikola Card System, Laurie Irelands stack, Juan Tamariz, Simon Aronson, and others. These are different from the mathematical systems which require you to calculate a cards position, like the Osterlind, Si Stebbens, Eight Kings, Hungry Jackass, etc.
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
248 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
I actually put together a short discussion of some of these issues which I am using for a mini-lecture to Ring 9 tomorrow.

I use Bob Klase's memorized deck, because the built in features are more applicable to the kind of card magic I like to do.

Make sure you visit the JoyalStack.com web site because it has a lot of information on the differences between systems and stacks, etc.

I have some notes on systems & stacks, plus a discussion of how to apply a mnemonic memory system to remembering a stacked deck (among other things). I give the various mental images I use for remembering my stack, much as Aronson did in "A Stack to Remember" for his stack.

Feel free to email me if you're interested in these.

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
turnermagic.com
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
As Dennis has noted, there is some confusion here between two very different types of stacks.

Sequential stacks, such as the venerable "8 Kings" and "Si Stebbins", permit one to determine the card following (or preceding) any given card. There are mnemonic sequences other than "8 Kings" (such as "hungry jackass"), but the notion is the same. The basic "8 Kings" and "Si Stebbins" stacks show an alternating colour sequence that is not very desirable, but there are schemes for dealing with this. Probably the best sequential stack, though, is Richard Osterlind's "Breakthrough Card System"; this is easily learned and displays no obvious ordering.

The second type being referenced is the so-called "memorized deck", in which you know the position of every card, and -- conversely -- the name of the card at any location). Clearly, this can be used for anything that a sequential stack can do, but it opens a much wider realm of possibilities. There are two approaches to learning such a tool...

The first solution is to use a truly memorized deck, where you have learned every card and its corresponding position by rote, and can recall the association instantly. This is generally considered the "best" solution (as it allows for the most random appearance, and also permits a stack that has been "wired" to perform certain effects, such as poker deals and the like), but it is not a simple thing to master (indeed, an impossible task for some), and unless you are regularly doing a lot of memorized deck work, it is easy to forget an association in the heat of performance (in which case you're in trouble, as there's no backup). Probably the best currently available such stack is Aronson's, described in a couple of his books. Tamariz' stack is also a contender... it has been published, but not yet with much description of its functionality.

The second solution is an algorithmic one, in which a formula of some kind is used to relate card values and positions. This approach is popular among those who want to do memorized deck work, but not make it a life's work (particularly mentalists and others who don't do a lot of card work, but recognize the miracles that can be performed with a memorized deck). Although it's possible to compute card positions with Si Stebbins, it's not very easy, so few consider using it as such. Probably the best three candidates here (any of which can be learned in half an hour) are the Bart Harding stack, the Charles Gauci stack, and my own "QuickStack" (not just my opinion... see the many "testimonials" at the Website listed in my signature). They compare as follows:

Harding: most random-appearing, greatest number of calculations necessary
QuickStack: middle ground, almost as random as Harding, but significantly easier to do
Gauci: easiest to do, but least random (alternating colours, rotating suits, detectable sequences)

Note that the recent Boris Wild stack (which is an algorithmic "memorized deck" stack) described in his marked deck book is (in my opinion) quite poor, comprised as it is of 13 four-card groups, each in strict sequence, both numerically and with respect to suit; it is thus unlikely to survive any but the most cursory examination. This is not necessarily a showstopper (Wild apparently uses it successfully); any card arrangement can be hidden by a sufficiently skilled performer. But the computations necessary for the name/position conversion are no simpler than those for "QuickStack", which offers a considerably more random presentation.

An algorithmic solution always works; and if you use it regularly, you'll find that you soon "know" all the card positions anyway, but it's nice to be able to calculate them if you forget!

For the sake of completeness, I should also note that if you don't need to "memorize" the complete deck, both Barrie Richardson and Lewis Jones have published systems that are extremely easy to learn, but only cover half the deck (either all the odd or even cards, or all the black or red ones, depending on the system).

... Doug
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I really don't think that memorizing a stack, such as Simon Aronson's is so very difficult. Just like a sleight, it will take some regular routine work in the beginning. Then, you do have to keep up with it at least occasionally. But, it can be practiced and worked on at any time and place, even if you don't have a deck with you. when you have a few minutes to kill while waiting for the doctor, during a TV commercial, even while driving, you can just mentally go over your associations. Think of it as something about as difficult as learning a new palm or flourish. And, I think the reward can be very great, considering the powerful magic that you can do.
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
For years I used the Stebbins set up to perform miracles and now I'm in love with the Six Hour Memorized Stack. Boy I love this thing. I use it constantly to destroy spectators at the Magic Castle and have fooled fellow magicians with its applications. The moment I get a deck in my hands I start to organize into the stack so I can begin to fool whoever has handed me the cards. All I can say is I wasted many years by not learning a memorized stack, but I'm glad I know one now.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
I agree, the time spent to learn a stack far outweighs any length of time spent learning a slight or fancy move. It is a guarenteed to fool magicians, but for spectators the effects can be too good. Have you ever come across this, and if so how have you adapted your routines?

Smile
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
I recently ran across Charles Gauci's "15 Minute No Mnemonic Memorized Card System". It allows you instantly to know the name of any card at any given number in the deck and to know the position of any card within the stack.

It's not as powerful, perhaps, as Aronson's system, but for those of us who do not CONSTANTLY work with a stacked/memorized deck, it is marvelous.

The system is described in Gauci's lecture notes. I don't know of any other source for it.
Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
MTaylor2002
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of MTaylor2002
Hi Joe.

I picked up this thread at the Magic Cafe. I would be interested in your notes. Can I get a copy?

With thanks,
M. Taylor

Quote:
On 2002-06-16 16:13, Joe M. Turner wrote:
I actually put together a short discussion of some of these issues which I am using for a mini-lecture to Ring 9 tomorrow.

I use Bob Klase's memorized deck, because the built in features are more applicable to the kind of card magic I like to do.

Make sure you visit the JoyalStack.com web site because it has a lot of information on the differences between systems and stacks, etc.

I have some notes on systems & stacks, plus a discussion of how to apply a mnemonic memory system to remembering a stacked deck (among other things). I give the various mental images I use for remembering my stack, much as Aronson did in "A Stack to Remember" for his stack.

Feel free to email me if you're interested in these.

JMT

MTaylor2002
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of MTaylor2002
Ddyment:

Hello.

I picked up this thread at the Magic Cafe. I am interested in your QuickStack. How can I learn more?

With thanks,
M. Taylor

Quote:
On 2002-06-23 11:32, ddyment wrote:
As Dennis has noted, there is some confusion here between two very different types of stacks.

Sequential stacks, such as the venerable "8 Kings" and "Si Stebbins", permit one to determine the card following (or preceding) any given card. There are mnemonic sequences other than "8 Kings" (such as "hungry jackass"), but the notion is the same. The basic "8 Kings" and "Si Stebbins" stacks show an alternating colour sequence that is not very desirable, but there are schemes for dealing with this. Probably the best sequential stack, though, is Richard Osterlind's "Breakthrough Card System"; this is easily learned and displays no obvious ordering.

The second type being referenced is the so-called "memorized deck", in which you know the position of every card, and -- conversely -- the name of the card at any location). Clearly, this can be used for anything that a sequential stack can do, but it opens a much wider realm of possibilities. There are two approaches to learning such a tool...

The first solution is to use a truly memorized deck, where you have learned every card and its corresponding position by rote, and can recall the association instantly. This is generally considered the "best" solution (as it allows for the most random appearance, and also permits a stack that has been "wired" to perform certain effects, such as poker deals and the like), but it is not a simple thing to master (indeed, an impossible task for some), and unless you are regularly doing a lot of memorized deck work, it is easy to forget an association in the heat of performance (in which case you're in trouble, as there's no backup). Probably the best currently available such stack is Aronson's, described in a couple of his books. Tamariz' stack is also a contender... it has been published, but not yet with much description of its functionality.

The second solution is an algorithmic one, in which a formula of some kind is used to relate card values and positions. This approach is popular among those who want to do memorized deck work, but not make it a life's work (particularly mentalists and others who don't do a lot of card work, but recognize the miracles that can be performed with a memorized deck). Although it's possible to compute card positions with Si Stebbins, it's not very easy, so few consider using it as such. Probably the best three candidates here (any of which can be learned in half an hour) are the Bart Harding stack, the Charles Gauci stack, and my own "QuickStack" (not just my opinion... see the many "testimonials" at the Website listed in my signature). They compare as follows:

Harding: most random-appearing, greatest number of calculations necessary
QuickStack: middle ground, almost as random as Harding, but significantly easier to do
Gauci: easiest to do, but least random (alternating colours, rotating suits, detectable sequences)

Note that the recent Boris Wild stack (which is an algorithmic "memorized deck" stack) described in his marked deck book is (in my opinion) quite poor, comprised as it is of 13 four-card groups, each in strict sequence, both numerically and with respect to suit; it is thus unlikely to survive any but the most cursory examination. This is not necessarily a showstopper (Wild apparently uses it successfully); any card arrangement can be hidden by a sufficiently skilled performer. But the computations necessary for the name/position conversion are no simpler than those for "QuickStack", which offers a considerably more random presentation.

An algorithmic solution always works; and if you use it regularly, you'll find that you soon "know" all the card positions anyway, but it's nice to be able to calculate them if you forget!

For the sake of completeness, I should also note that if you don't need to "memorize" the complete deck, both Barrie Richardson and Lewis Jones have published systems that are extremely easy to learn, but only cover half the deck (either all the odd or even cards, or all the black or red ones, depending on the system).

... Doug

Simon Aronson
View Profile
1943 - 2019
74 Posts

Profile of Simon Aronson
Free Lecture Notes (by Simon Aronson) are now available to all those interested in Memorized Deck Magic. They're especially helpful to beginners and those contemplating this field.

In 1999 I gave a series of private workshops dedicated to my favorite topic, the memorized deck. I've recently posted a free downloadable set of these lecture notes “Memories are Made of This -- an Introduction to Memorized Deck Magic”, on my website (on the Magicians Only Page, go to Memorized Deck Magic, and you'll find the link). It's a 20 page introduction to the entire field of memorized deck magic, that discusses various features you might want in a stack, how to learn and practice your memorization, five key principles used in various memorized deck effects, and presents a number of easy yet deceptive location effects. It’s also got an extensive bibliography for further research.

Also, for those who already use (or are interested in the exploring the potentialities of) the Aronson stack, my website has a separate section (under the Magician’s only tab) that’s devoted to brand new effects specific to the Aronson stack. There are many contributions by me, and by others, that take advantage of the special built-in features of the Aronson stack. These are NEW effects, that are different from those contained in “Unpacking the Aronson Stack” (a 75 page section in my book Try the Impossible that sets out a host of features and effects specific to the Aronson stack). There’s even a computer Quizzer to help you practice your memorization skills.

Enjoy!

Simon
"There's a world of difference between a spectator's not knowing how something is done versus his knowing that it can't be done."

Shuffle-bored (1980)

http://www.simonaronson.com
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
Wow, the one thing I wasn't expecting when I got an email saying "a reply to your topic has been posted" was the actual creator of the stack I learnt!!!

I shall have another look at the site, but can I ask a quick question first?

I have been using shuffle bored with the Aronson stack and would value your opinion on this combination (in that I use the stack instead of the one described in shuffle board).

Thank you everyone for your comments,

Saxon
Simon Aronson
View Profile
1943 - 2019
74 Posts

Profile of Simon Aronson
Sure you can use a memorized stack instead of the sequential stack for Shuffle-bored; I mentioned this in my original Shuffle-bored manuscript (or see Bound to Please, p. 160).

One of my favorite combinations is to use a prediction shuffle-bored version tied in to the Aronson stack. I use the stack for a number of effects that retain its order, and then for the climax (where the stack will be destroyed by shuffling) I use the "prediction shufflebored" transition idea on my website. I have my own private way of presenting this prediction so that it doesn't appear to be a prediction (I like the surprise element), which I hope to release soon.
Glad you're getting some mileage out of the stack.
Simon
"There's a world of difference between a spectator's not knowing how something is done versus his knowing that it can't be done."

Shuffle-bored (1980)

http://www.simonaronson.com
BobMillerMAGIC!
View Profile
Regular user
MN
105 Posts

Profile of BobMillerMAGIC!
Does anyone have links to many different stacks? I'm collecting them all. Have links to Ireland, Skinner, Osterlind, Marlo, Brainstorm, Dyment, and Hartling?
I don't check here often. email at BobMillerInc@gmail.com
PreDate: The NoMem Calendar Trick
http://www.BobMillerMagic.biz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » What is 'Your' favourite stacked deck? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL