The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The "This Is How Our Art Should Be Done" Thread (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Ok, so we all have performers that in our mind, can create the perfect presentation and character mixed with the most amazing pieces to create a truly amazing experience that appears to be REAL! For me, those performers are Docc Hilford for his genius psychology and story telling mixed with the bold methodologies we know him so well for, Kenton Knepper for his devious use of words to create a more internal focus on the magic happening in the audiences' minds and of course his ability to appear so real all the time that it makes you start to wonder (punny), Peter Turner...well the little bit of footage we have of him working speaks for itself, tune into the Portugal Video or Confessions of Real Mind readers to see what I mean and of course Uri Geller for creating real mystery as a person and not just in the "performance". Who would you list and why?

-Jakob
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Most of Kenton's material that I've read/seen I've not cared for, but he does have some moments of greatness. His publications aside, the performances of his that I've seen have left me somewhat underwhelmed.

Derren Brown.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-12-04 10:26, Davit Sicseek wrote:
Most of Kenton's material that I've read/seen I've not cared for, but he does have some moments of greatness. His publications aside, the performances of his that I've seen have left me somewhat underwhelmed.

Derren Brown.


Davit-

Are you now signing your posts as Derren Brown or are you just adding his name to the list?

:eek:
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3295 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Quote:
On 2012-12-04 12:58, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-12-04 10:26, Davit Sicseek wrote:
Most of Kenton's material that I've read/seen I've not cared for, but he does have some moments of greatness. His publications aside, the performances of his that I've seen have left me somewhat underwhelmed.

Derren Brown.




Davit-

Are you now signing your posts as Derren Brown or are you just adding his name to the list?

:eek:


..lollllllllll.....
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
I couldn't imagine a list of contemporary performers that have the above qualifications without putting Bob Cassidy among the top. I think he's a member of the Café and goes under the name "mastermind reader".

Steve
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
For me Docc Hilford is tops, his style is amazing.

I have seen less performance by Bob Cassidy and Rihard Osterlind but thy would r on my list too.
I have seen zero performance by Jerome Finley, but based on his work I put him on my list too.

Unfortunately most of my experience with mentalist performers is from videos.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2449 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2012-12-04 13:09, Steve Suss wrote:
I couldn't imagine a list of contemporary performers that have the above qualifications without putting Bob Cassidy among the top. I think he's a member of the Café and goes under the name "mastermind reader".

Steve


You mean he doesn't use his real name?!

There should be some sort of law against that.

:lol:

Bob taught me how to use a lighter and I don't even smoke! Smile
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I just saw Satori lecture and found him to be very entertaining and create that atmosphere.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2124 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On 2012-12-04 10:10, magician 336 wrote:
Ok, so we all have performers that in our mind, can create the perfect presentation and character mixed with the most amazing pieces to create a truly amazing experience that appears to be REAL! For me, those performers are Docc Hilford for his genius psychology and story telling mixed with the bold methodologies we know him so well for, Kenton Knepper for his devious use of words to create a more internal focus on the magic happening in the audiences' minds and of course his ability to appear so real all the time that it makes you start to wonder (punny), Peter Turner...well the little bit of footage we have of him working speaks for itself, tune into the Portugal Video or Confessions of Real Mind readers to see what I mean and of course Uri Geller for creating real mystery as a person and not just in the "performance". Who would you list and why?

-Jakob


Growing up, I never doubted the validity of what Geller did, so in that sense, it was quite real. But he also presented it as such. We all stand on the shoulders of giants like Cassidy, Annemann, Osterlind, Corinda, Banachek, Maven, etc. Peter Turner will be the next giant upon whose shoulders we stand. What he does is as apparently real as it gets.
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Quote:
Are you now signing your posts as Derren Brown or are you just adding his name to the list?


:D

Are we talking about performers? Or authors? Some strange choices here...

All the best mentalist performers are British - are they not?

FIGHT!
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
voh002
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of voh002
After I witness Colin McLeod at mindvention, I find his stage present at one of the best I have ever seen. The timing and effects blended with humor were just great. I hope to see a full show with him in the future.
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I was kind of being ambiguous so people could be free range to share their thoughts, but this is a really difficult thing to list! Completely agree with almost everything so far, I just picked my top four...yes McLeod is absolutely fantastic, devious thinker and even more engaging performer.

mmreed, Kenton told me Satori's lecture was absolutely amazing! I have never heard of his work before, if I understand right he is a German mentalist that is doing some amazing things with contact mind reading...any sources for his material available in the U S of A?

-Jakob
MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
In no specific order:

Bob Cassidy ( most recently saw an old YouTube clip of him on a show Ford Cross hosted- brilliant even back then)

Derren Brown

David Berglas

Andy Nyman

Richard Osterlind

Cheers,
Dave
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Magician336, yes Satori is a German entertainer. AMAZING. In addition to his billet and swami work, he is a hellstromism guru. His contact reading was as close to true magic as I have ever seen. It was incredible. Those of us even tried to not be read knowing what he was doing and he still nailed it.

I don't think much of his stuff is published. He had some lecture notes that were home printed.

the best part was his persona - very entertaining. His german accent and demeanor worked so well together.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10773 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Don't forget Max Maven
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
In addition, I nominate Ian Rowland.
He is a brilliantly engaging and entertaining performer, and his routines are always astounding.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12587 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2012-12-04 13:09, Steve Suss wrote:
I couldn't imagine a list of contemporary performers that have the above qualifications without putting Bob Cassidy among the top. I think he's a member of the Café and goes under the name "mastermind reader".

Steve
p

Who's that?
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
vinh.giang
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
132 Posts

Profile of vinh.giang
Great discussion! I personally love Derren Browns presence and persona, he doesn't have an arrogant personality, that's what I love most. I have been to see some magic shows and the magicians sometimes can act very arrogant and not humble. I think the thing that makes a performer great is his actual personality, you can only fake so much. When a performer is one stage and he is one with the character he is playing, to me that's what makes a GREAT performer. IMO I think that Derren does just that, he really allows himself to come across on stage.
"Rather a mind opened by wonder, than one closed by belief."
_________________________________

www.vinhgiang.com.au
www.facebook.com/askvinh
www.twitter.com/askvinh
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2920 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Uri Geller should not be considered part of this discussion. Uri positions himself a presenting legitimate phenomenon, and though he might be considered entertaining, he is not an entertainer. Anyone that states what they are doing as real moves into an different category. The same goes for people that do faith healing. We might draw inspiration from what they do, but it is different. And I am not stating this to start a discussion of whether or not Uri and people of his ilk are legitimate. It is just that the way they present themselves to the world is very different from what this forum is all about. Understanding this will be beneficial in adding clarity to what performing artist do.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5133 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Quote:
On 2012-12-05 12:43, Todd Robbins wrote:
Uri Geller should not be considered part of this discussion. Uri positions himself a presenting legitimate phenomenon, and though he might be considered entertaining, he is not an entertainer. Anyone that states what they are doing as real moves into an different category. The same goes for people that do faith healing. We might draw inspiration from what they do, but it is different. And I am not stating this to start a discussion of whether or not Uri and people of his ilk are legitimate. It is just that the way they present themselves to the world is very different from what this forum is all about. Understanding this will be beneficial in adding clarity to what performing artist do.


Agreed with that. Maybe he isn't a "performer" in which we can learn about the art, but surely we can learn from him another angle of demostrating psychic phenomena.

I have several inspirations, but at the end I am doing my own practice and art,
we just use "Mentalism" and "Mentalist" to create an useful label to be as a group.
I rule my own art

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The "This Is How Our Art Should Be Done" Thread (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL