The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The "This Is How Our Art Should Be Done" Thread (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1244 Posts

Profile of magicman29
In No specific order

Bob cassidy

Banachek

Derren brown

Peter turner (he would kill me if I didn't mention him! Smile) as I've seen him perform most of his material the guy is a f##king genius!

Kieran
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of dmoses
The Amazing Kreskin.
He was my earliest influence and probably the strongest.

I love the persona, the effects... everything.
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
You beat me to Kreskin. I remember seeing him on the Merv Griffin show long before I knew anything about mentalism. He absolutely slayed me.

One of my favorite performers ever was an eight year old girl. I don't even know her name. I was in to regular magic and was visiting her father. She did the color cube. It looked like real mind reading to me. When I remember her it reminds me to not overlook simplicity. There was something wonderful about this innocent, sweet little girl reading my mind.

If you don't like Uri that's up to you. Then you don't write about him but spare the skeptic proselyzing. I will decide for myself who I write about. Uri has some of the best presentation skills ever, someone that many can learn from. I can certainly understand not liking his application, but as far as "This Is How Our Art Should Be Done" he is one of the historical greats.

One more unknown (to mentalists) that impressed me was the late Svengali pitchman, S. David Walker. He told me the initial S. was for Sir, something he thought sounded like a title of nobility. He left mentalism to pitch cards but kept the first initial.

He claimed to have been Dunninger's assistant (he claimed many things) but one night a couple years ago he pulled out a box. It was his old mentalism show...straight magical mentalism but he absolutely killed a small room of leather-skinned pitchmen. Though he had not done the show in decades he still nailed every line and finesse. Had he chosen to stay with mentalism he would have been a name every mentalist would have known. He was an incredible talker.

This is a very nice thread...anybody got more?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17862 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Eric Jan Hanussen followed by Geller and Kreskin ....
These three seemed to do it all way before the rest.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2920 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2012-12-05 15:59, mota wrote:

If you don't like Uri that's up to you. Then you don't write about him but spare the skeptic proselyzing. I will decide for myself who I write about. Uri has some of the best presentation skills ever, someone that many can learn from. I can certainly understand not liking his application, but as far as "This Is How Our Art Should Be Done" he is one of the historical greats.

There was no skeptic slant on what I wrote. I was only clarifying how things are classified. If performers don't understand the differences then their performance will suffer. As I stated, Uri might be used for inspiration, but what he does is in a different classification from what what we do here, unless people here have a desire to pass themselves off as as the real deal and their presentations should be considered free of any deception and trickery.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
I also neglected to mention Richard Osterlind. I have always thought that he is a wonderful example of classic magic/mentalism. His slo-mo CT was a worker for years and his performance that I saw on a dvd was wonderful. I think his type of performing is what many people think of when they think stage mentalist. He does it very well.
Chris Cheong
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
100 Posts

Profile of Chris Cheong
My top two would be Darren Brown and Osterlind. Both their materials consist of classic and modern mentalism. Personally the best way I think a magician or mentalist can really grow is by watching others. I spent a good amount of time everyday reading books and watching Youtube videos like Darren and "fool us". that's where you really learn. Mentalism is more than just methods - its about the presentation, personalities, crowd management and small elements you include to you show.
Regards,
Chris
Dan_M
View Profile
New user
Germany
63 Posts

Profile of Dan_M
I would definitely choose Derren Brown and Andy Nyman. You could give them children's magic tricks and they would manage to absolutely baffle the audience with them.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Do we?
Quote:
On 2012-12-04 10:10, magician 336 wrote:
Ok, so we all have performers that in our mind, can create the perfect presentation and character mixed with the most amazing pieces to create a truly amazing experience that appears to be REAL!
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Some are not comfortable with it seeming real. Others think if you are doing Q & A (or any mentalism for that matter) it needs to seem real. Others just do Q & A with their real impressions and use no tricks at all. I would have taken this further but saw no point. It would have degenerated in to an old argument and wrecked this thread. It is difficult to comment on these various strongly-held opinions without it becoming personal, as some feel their opinions are fact that others should follow.

There are mentalists I would love to see clips from, but they don't seem to exist. Hanussen, for example. There is one fellow that might have been better off with a color cube.

So, who are your inspirations? Another performer I would love to see but haven't is Neal Scryer. My friends who have seen him perform are impressed and he has been an inspiration to me. He takes little or nothing and makes it in to miracles.

Anyone else with more performers that inspire them as to how things should be done?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17862 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Surprised no one said CORRINDA ..... His Bible?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Dunninger
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2012-12-06 16:59, Slim King wrote:
Surprised no one said CORRINDA ..... His Bible?

I thought this thread was about performers we've actually seen perform. Is there anyone here who ever saw Corinda perform before a group either live or on video?

While there are notable exceptions, most influential authors of mentalism aren't primarily known as performers and vice versa.

Good thoughts,

Bob
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
My influences were Ronrico, an Australian mentalist and hypnotist I saw in my teens, and an Isle of Man performer I saw when I was about eleven. He did an hour of mentalism, followed by an hour of hypnotism, and it blew my mind. Both did great shows. Reading about Kreskin was also an inspiration.

More recently watching Paul Voodini and James Browne expanded my ideas about what is possible. They are the ones who have shown me how our art should be done.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Bob, you were one of my early influences...specifically one performance.

The late Tony Andruzzi thought you were the schizzle. He turned me on to a performance you gave to a bunch of mentalists I think. I am pretty sure it is the one that is still currently available.

In that act you did memorizing a deck of cards. I have heard of it and thought it an interesting concept intellectually, but limited in its entertainment approach. What I saw you do with your presentation changed all of that.

I don't really remember the rest of the act but that stuck in my mind forever. It is a great example of "how our art should be done".

I must also mention to you Bob that you look pretty much the same as you did then. It appears you have been using grey hair dye to make yourself more distinguished but that seems to be the only change.
Chris Cheong
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
100 Posts

Profile of Chris Cheong
Cassidy materials is some of the best I have read again and again. Corinda's bible is the foundation of mentalism.

Again - personally to me, mentalism is 10% method and 90% presentation. One liner jokes, your attire, choice of props you use on stage, your personalities, patters, crowd management is what makes a mentalism act works.

The method can be as simple as a rediculous small pencil but yet you can create wonders if you present it well.

Above all, if you really want to take it up to the next level - look at people like Lu Chen for example.

Especially when he performed ACAAN - the way he set the stage/ his perform venue and the music and environment to incorporate to the effect.

Brillant.

Just my thoughts I'm sharing.
Regards,
Chris
Demitri
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of Demitri
For me, there are two men who have influenced every facet of my performances.

Rick Maue
Andy Nyman

Since the first time I saw Rick lecture, I knew in a matter of minutes that what I was doing was all wrong - and that I need to move in the right direction. If you have a chance to see Rick lecture, drive/walk/fly/hitchhike - whatever you have to - get there. If you have a chance to sit in the room with Rick and just listen to him talk - about anything - follow the previous instructions.

Last fall, I had the pleasure of meeting Andy Nyman at his Tannen's workshop. His insights, thinking and passion are infectious. Rather than just standing in front of us and performing or hawking his wares - he made a point to get us to look at ourselves, how we could incorporate US into our act. My head was spinning for weeks after that day, and I have noticed significant changes (all for the better) to my own performances since.

Watching these two work or talk, you can see their passion for everything they do. Like Louis CK has said, the word genius is tossed around far too casually. For these men, the word is well justified.

I would have loved to see Annemann work. The Jinx is, in my opinion, one of the greatest works in mentalism ever created.

In the future, I would love to add Mr. Cassidy to my list of giants who I have had the pleasure of meeting. If the Jinx is considered the bible - everything Bob Cassidy does should be under the heading of "New Testament".
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
I love Chan Canasta's style and work.
cboscari
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of cboscari
Osterlind because I love his "Gosh, this *always* happens! Wish I knew why..." stage persona. Makes me laugh.
And Kreskin, I remember him from when I was very young. He can do the impossible- mix several card effects with metalism and make it work.
Chris
Kroots
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
59 Posts

Profile of Kroots
Derren has completely saturated TV mentalism and that's because he really is a world class performer. However I would like to see a new approach to mentalism on TV but that's probably not going to happen while Derren's still about.

I think the next performer after Derren that's presentation's really are a wonderful structured piece of theatre is Luke Jermay. I've seen him perform live once and it was brilliant to watch somebody take basic principles in mentalism and literally make them into unbelievable miracles. It really made me think about my presentation a whole lot more.

Colin Mcleod is also up there as a good innovative thinker and performer.

Cassidy's presentations are a joy to watch also as his power and control of an audience is something I can only dream of having.

There are also some great thinkers today in mentalism that have great ideas regarding presentation.

Peter Turner as previously mentioned has really taken some simple psychological principles and made them work as an act all on their own. But more so than that, he also has some fantastic ideas based on dual reality which are worth their weight in gold.

Colin has a few ideas regarding this and also Christopher Rawlins (who may be not as well known)

Kroots
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The "This Is How Our Art Should Be Done" Thread (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL