We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Chanukah line (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8696 Posts

Profile of harris
During this season, I include some references to being raised Jewish.

I talk about Chanukah and getting presents not on 1 day but 8.
Insert your own Adam Sandler song line here.

As I produce a coin, I talk about liking to get Gelt...spelled G E L T.which refers to money/coins......not guilt...spelled G U I L T....which is something we get from our Jewish Mothers.

Over the years, I have learned that coins are great props during monologues.
And we laugh because, when we change the name the story is told of us. (sounds even better in Latin) It is not just "Jewish" mothers that can lead us to guilt but mothers around the world.

Happy H.O.Y.C. (holiday of your choice)

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Nice. This Saturday I'll be animating a dreidel with IET for my in-laws, happy times.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8696 Posts

Profile of harris
Dreidel, dreidel dreidle ..

I made it out of clay

and watch it levitate

with these magic words I say...

After spinning it you could change it into some gelt...
and then go into your favorite coin routine...

or...

copper/dreidle instead of a copper silver routine...

Or Dreidles across, through the table....

OY to the world....

Shalom,

Harris aka zvi arey aka dr. laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
"Oy to the world", love it Smile

"Dreidel thru Table", you should bring out the DVD, Harris!

Shalom
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8696 Posts

Profile of harris
I love to play with words, both in my writing scripts for coin (and other magic),ventriloquist skits and plays I use with our drama students.

Harris
nearly normal reader & "righter"
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8882 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Happy Chanukah, Harris my friend. Smile

It's really a magical life, ain't it? Smile

Shalom and yes, "Oy to the World" Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Love the word play, Harris.
Leo61
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Leo61
Such a nice thread! Thanks for making me smile during this stressful exam period. I don't post much but read often. Harris, MB, and everyone else you guys rock. Happy hannuah Smile
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8696 Posts

Profile of harris
Speaking of rock, I will be playing both Christmas songs and a traditional Jewish song for Chanukah at our church this Wednesday. Hava Nagila on the electric ukulele.

I might use a Morgan or half dollar for a pick after a 1 or 2 coin(gelt) furry.

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Leo61
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Leo61
That's awesome! I played adam sandler's hannukah song for my high school back in grade 12. If I was into magic back then, I could've produced a harmonica on the "hope I get a harmonica" line and played along Smile.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
To take the best of any world, my kids (in an attempt to receive more presents) created the concept of Chrismakah

After all Jesus was Jewish
He thought that his mother was a virgin
She thought that he was God on earth
and from a small carpenter shop they made an international conglomerate that is still going strong 2000 years later

:)
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1815 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Here's a little story:

Once upon a time, a nice Jewish Boy fell in love with a nice Catholic girl, and they got married.

She stayed Catholic, and he stayed Jewish, promising his wife that, as a loving husband, he would go with her to Catholic Mass to support her, and have a greater and fuller understanding of her faith.

So, for the first time, he attended Catholic Mass. The priest gave a sermon, celebrated communion, then explained that Charity was a keystone of the Catholic Faith, and that the Church needed to buy all new books for Sunday School, so it was important that when the collection plate was passed around, that the members of the congregation give as much as they feel that they can, and give from the heart, because it will make them feel so much better. So the plate was passed around, and the Jewish man happily pulled a $10 bill out of his wallet and put it on the collection plate.

Next Sunday, again the couple went to church. Sermon, communion, and this time, the Priest explained that they experienced major roof damage to the Church this past week from a major storm, so please, please help us by giving generously when the collection plate comes around. This time, the nice Jewish husband put a $20 on the plate as it came his way.

Again, the next Sunday...to church. Another sermon, communion, and now a story about how the Church was (a) Under-Insured for storm damage and (b) Because of that AND the losses the insurance company had to pay because of the storm, that their insurance rates were skyrocketing. so........PLEASE DIG DEEP IN YOUR POCKET WHEN THE COLLECTION PLATE COMES AROUND. This time, Mr. Jewish husband puts $50 on the plate.

As he and his wife are leaving, they see a receiving line outside with the priest, Father Flanagan, wishing everyone goodwill and peace and thanking them for coming to church.

Father Flanagan says to the Jewish man, Mr. Cohen, "Mr. Cohen....I know that you are not a Catholic man and that your wife is Catholic, and I want you to know that you are always welcome here in our church.

And Mr. Cohen replies, "Thank you, Father Flanagan. I do have a couple of questions to ask you though, if that's OK with you."

Father Flanagan says, "Sure...how can I help you?"

Mr Cohen says, "Father..Jesus Was Jewish, right?" Father Flanagan says, "Yes."

Mr. Cohen says, "and the 12 Disciples, they were Jewish, too, correct?" Father Flanagan says, "Yes"

Mr. Cohen says...."Well Father..I am confused..."

Father Flanagan says, "What are you confused about?"

And Mr. Cohen replies, "I can't understand how guys like that would let a business like this fall through their hands".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Chanukah line (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL