The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Mickey Silver ' hands of las vegas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4854 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
The man with the move does it again. Great work Mickey!!!

Larry
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17038 Posts

Profile of joseph
Mickey, awesome .. I still watch your demo dvd all the time ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Mickey is one of the hardest working magicians I know.
He's constantly inventing and refining his routines.

Countless hours of thought and attention to detail go into everything he does.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of cperkins
I love the way he conditions his audience - even before he shows them a single magical effect.

It is so important for him to screw around with the collective heads of his audience, and this makes his magic so strong and his illusions so powerful.

If you study his magic, you can learn a ton about audience conditioning and timely presentation.
Personally, I have paid great attention to how, why and when Mickey does things, and this has had a most profound influence on my own ability, however limited I am.

If you can ever see him live or attend a lecture of his, do it!

chuck
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8626 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I have to agree with you cp, Mickey has a lot going on in what he does alright. Genius. Smile

It has always amazed me most that he wasn't of larger audience or even recognition by the big boys and the genre in general. Never noticed much comment from them on him, just from everyone else - Go figure! If they did comment at times, it was in & out, and done. Wonder what them cats are really thinking? Smile

No matter how amazing an effect or technique he has shown, there is little review of his work from any of them. It's uncanny to me how they have any of these big shows or private seminars and don't have this guy there??? Truth be told, he's better than most of them as run-of-the-mill coin tricks and routines really can't compare to what Mickey does IMHO. Smile I've seen both (and you guys have too) and there's no comparison. Maybe this is the deeper issue, perhaps this is why they may hold other standards in place as to such an exceptional coin worker, who knows.

I've heard the points here about what has been contributed to the greater craft as to work and effort as to DVDS, books, manuscripts, lectures, etc., but that's not good enough for me in the face of what this man can so clearly do, that no one else does nearly as well. I would much rather hear their views on this man's magic than a lot of the other stuff they tackle here mostly as to what good magic is and or is not, and whose doing it best as recognized by "Them."

In most cases these are very intelligent and accomplished men (they know who they are and so do you all here) who pride themselves as insiders and upper echelon when it comes to coin magic in one way or another (and this might include any groupies that they let hang out with them or they just happen to like for some reason or other - and they know who they are also). Smile They speak a lot when there's something they don't like and can be quite cutting and dismissive at times that I have seen and felt. But they do not speak much of Mickey Silver, only everyone else does. I'm just sayin'... I just can't imagine Leader, Dai Vernon, John Ramsay, or anyone else watching this man do his thing so uniquely and not be in awe, completely amazed and intrigued. Hmmmmmmm.

Happy Holidays and good will towards men. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10696 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
MB well said
I remember when I intorduced Mickey to Martin Nash at the magic castle ..Martin said " I Have seen most of the greats in coin magic including Goshman and Slydini Mickey is the best ever"....
MB Mickey is the biggest of the big boys so there is nothing for them to say....
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of cperkins
Interesting observations, Marion. Even if your are correct in your observation of how he is viewed by certain others (the "big boys"), thank god exceptional magical talent is in no way defined or determined by their specific pronouncement of it. Certainly they don't think for me about such things. We don't have quality police to determine such matters - again, thank god.

Recognition is nice, but why should Mickey care? His brand of magic is unique to him and is so wonderful that it trandscends all that other "he said, she said." Fact is, Mickey's stuff is a bit unorthodox - maybe not "Vernonesque" enough for some (god forbid!), but that's okay. And unlike others, by his own choosing, Mickey really doesn't publish to the masses. I guess he doesn't have to or it just isn't important to him - to which I say, good for him!

Interesting, Mickey is probably more of a full time working professional magician than many of the big boys you might be alluding to.

I love his magic and the more I pay attention to the way he structures his routines with audience control in mind, the more I appreciate and learn from this guy.

Mickey IS one of the "big boys" in closeup coin magic.

chuck
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8626 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yeah cp, just observations really. Smile

I was thinking about that big magic conference earlier this year or maybe the year before in Europe someplace, and all the guys that were a part of it. All really good magicians to be sure, I remember Ponta was there and some fine others. But just how, in such a random selection of workers, is Mickey Silver not included? Even here in the States, some of these big seminars, I do not see Mickey included. That's OK I suppose as folks can invite who they will and want, but it just seems strange to me. Anyone else notice this? Hey, you think Mickey is telling them that he doesn't want to join them? Smile

And of course, Mickey is one of the big boys to me, actually he's a bit bigger than that truth be told. Smile They say from your actions shall you be known, well, from that I'm pretty clear as to what I see in regards to Mickey and everyone else. Of course everyone is different but it's hard to compare classically put coin magic, held in limbo by some for 70-80 years as "The way." Don't look like it to me. Mickey's magic is a lot more fluidly put than a lot of the more mechanical presentations I've seen, passed down from through the decades even to this day. I'm just sayin'. Smile

Hey, to me I've seen a few stellar performers in coin magic in person, they were different than other great presentations that I had seen and practiced. For me, these two individuals weren't any of the recognized giants, instead they are somewhat obscured coin workers, both exceptional talents beyond the mundane. For me, these two are Dan Sylvester "The Jester" and the Silver Man, Mickey Silver. I personally learned so much from these guys off the beaden path of things. Much respect to all the great others out there, but these guys showed me something quite a bit different and dynamic as to coin magic.
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

MarkSpitzer
View Profile
New user
WV
51 Posts

Profile of MarkSpitzer
Just to be clear, my opinion here is biased; I am lucky to consider both Mickey and Vinny as good friends. I like them as people independently of my respect. admiration and frequent awe of what they offer in performance.
I have spoken with one of the "biggest boys" about Mickey, and they were, at best, indifferent. My take on it is that when one has significant reputation along with a certain depth and breadth of published material, one tends to be protective of it.
Again ( I think I've said it before here in another thread), Mickey's work has only a little to do with a specific technique, and a huge amount to do with who he IS in performance. There are other methods available to achieve a similar effect [Dr Barnowski's excellent "21st Century Coin Mechanics" is well deserving of attention] but nobody other than Mickey Silver does what Mickey does.
Mickey, in live performance, makes me giggle. (Shoot Ogawa is the only other performer who makes me giggle, doing material I know and STILL surprising me wonderfully).
Realistically, we KNOW how most of the stuff out there is accomplished. For me, the gifted artist is the one who can get around my "already knowing" and amuse, surprise, and delight me.
Giggling is good.

Put another way, we each have available a good set of tools. I think Harris, cperkins and MB (can I call you MB?) and I are all pointing to the importance of studying the subtleties of performance, audience conditioning and attention direction rather than obsessing about the techniques.
[One of] my pet peeves is hearing "Great performance, man, which (DL, ROVV, TT, etc) did you use?"... sounds a lot like the foolish "Great meal! What brand cookware and knives did you use?"
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8626 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thanks for your response here, the silence was becoming somewhat deafening and telling all at the same time. Smile Oh, and of course you can call be Mb...Welcome. Smile

I appreciate your comments here and in at least checking with a big boy and even a "biggest" one...Guess that one would be called a "biggin" Smile
Anyway, while I would love these guys to speak for themselves, I can understand their feelings about their own efforts and maybe the bureaucracy as to all this stuff. Not sure I'm looking at Mickey for anything except for what he shows me, same thing for all the others...I just want to be amazed and feel like a kid again. Like an old man meeting up with a much younger woman that happens to think he's cute, or something like that. Smile

So, what exactly is meant by "indifferent" here. Now a bit of wordsmith myself but just want to be sure of meaning here because as I said, I can't quite fathom indifference as to Mickey Silver's work. Not to mention, that while he makes me smile too, there's also a tremendous appreciation for the magic. So, are all the big boys somewhat indifferent as to his work? I'm just asking. As a matter of fact, I'd like to see one of these biggest do their thing and then watch Mickey do his and see how I feel about it for myself, not as matter of standard. Does that make any sense?

I also know some of the big boys, some of the biggest as well and I can tell you as a guy, seemingly like yourself, that has an idea about all this stuff, that I've seen them do their thing and while some of them are actually as stellar as they think they are, I have seen few if any any better than Mickey Silver...less than few really. I mean so that if you put them side by side to do their thing, most would pale in immediate comparison to audience. A deeper look by those in the know would also marvel at the uniqueness of what Mickey Silver does. I've seen it almost just that so close.

Still, as I said, I respect all workers and understand that everyone is different. Just wish those differences could be be better appreciated from both sides of the fence more often. Me, I'm just a mere worker in the fields but Mickey Silver is much more than that and defies any such ready explanations to somewhat explain him away by anybody.

I remember a few times here some of these explanations, I mentioned one above but typically these cats just size you up and either you're in or out. It depends on some things.

Good talk MS, appreciate your take here on this. I was beginning to think I said something I shouldn't have said here. Smile But hey man, I think we're on the same page about a lot of this. Yep, good talk. Smile

tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
The retention is superb, no doubt. Lots of gurning, no doubt.

I don't really understand the lionising going on here, however. The OP referred to the "greatest coin worker on the planet".

Really? I mean, really?

Okay. I know nothing. And I guess all the 'big names' no nothing too.

Feel free to pounce, it's just an opinion.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8626 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey tom, all opinions are welcome here from the big, small and all. Smile That's how the original post referenced Mickey Silver, not unlike how Dai Vernon referenced David Roth once, not that he wasn't worthy but I'm sure at that time there was those that thought otherwise as to such "lionizing" as you say. But I do understand your point about placing upon a pedestal. You're only seeing a minute maybe of this man in that clip, surely you know there is much more to him than that. As to who is the best, I don't know but I know that Mickey Silver is one of the best I've seen, and I've seen a lot of the big names. It's not that they know nothing, but do they know it all and only? Think Socrates said something like, "What I know is that I do not know." Perhaps that goes for all of us, even the big names. Smile As to what I've seen of all this, well, Mickey Silver is hard to beat out in the real beyond that of mere reputation and opinion.

Anyway, glad you commented and appreciate your points. Smile

Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4935 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On 2012-12-07 22:00, tomsk192 wrote:
The retention is superb, no doubt. Lots of gurning, no doubt.

I don't really understand the lionising going on here, however. The OP referred to the "greatest coin worker on the planet".

Really? I mean, really?

Okay. I know nothing. And I guess all the 'big names' no nothing too.

Feel free to pounce, it's just an opinion.

Quote:
On 2012-12-06 14:18, MICKEY SILVER wrote:
WOW!!! Can’t believe that video clip ended up here - That was taken last weak in Las Vegas at Binions poker tournament room by a woman with her iphone……..Anyway’s, thanks for putting it up Vinny

------Also guy’s thank you all very much for all those possitive comments. I’m glad you liked it considering the poor quality of the video.

……… NOTE!!! If you look carefully you will see that “ONE COIN” is in fact really placed under one card - "ONLY ONE CARD REALLY HAS THE COIN UNDER IT” - This is what actually fools my audience in altering their thought process……………

WE ALL MUST REMEMBER AS MAGICIANS: Our spectators hear what they expect to hear and they also see what they expect to see…… This is what gives us our advantage in making the unexpected never seen-

- Now in the case of this routine - I am never a step a head like in most magic!!! Actually I am a step behind!!!!! My audience is a step ahead of me, this of course giving me all the cover I ever need!!!!

It’s a brilliant move and one that is hard to be believed by anyone who sees this in person!!!!

MICKEY SILVER - “THE HANDS OF LAS VEGAS"

I don't see anyone berating any of "the greats" only giving opinions on how great they think he is. Re - read his response, Quite a humble response in my opinion and a thanks for the well deserved accolades.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8634 Posts

Profile of funsway
IMHO being "great" is a subjective opinion and not really open for valid comparison of one "person" over another -- and limited as a comparison of "mechanics" or "skill."

For each performer claimed "great" by others I look for the qualities of performance that an leads to such a claim, but also the elements of "person." For me, no performer in any field is "great" if they are jerk away from the stage. The question is whether they are a role model to be emulated, and if so, why?

Mickey provides such a model in several ways: dedication to his art/profession, interest in audience engagement over mechanical skill, adaptation of performance to setting and particular audience -- and, the willingness to guide others in the growth of their magic performance. Whether or not this makes him "great" is a matter of personal judgment.

I consider that his mechanical skills in coin handling to be "better than" any other performer I have ever seen. This is a different comparison not based on how "great" other performers are. To strive to be better than anyone also means being better than you were yesterday in your own eyes. Based on private communications with Mickey I do not believe he ever considers being "better than" any other magician in his work.

He gets paid for the practice -- the performance is its own reward. From this we can learn.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5863 Posts

Profile of motown
Very nice.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
896 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Marion, thanks for posting this!
You yourself have been an inspiration in my own coin magic with your Crimp Change. Without that move (and all of its infinite applications), as well as Mickey Silver and Vinny's guidance on coin magic philosophy, I probably wouldn't even bother!

Back to the video: The burn he gets on the reverse ROV is uncanny. Mentally I have to resist believing the coin is actually under the coin..imagine the effect on a layperson.

Thanks again-Evan
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7041 Posts

Profile of bowers
Best retention ive ever seen.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10696 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Tom name one other performer that has the skills of Mickey.....Have you ever seen him perform live:"?"??
if you did yiou would alos agree with the rest of us...
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
896 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Woops my bad...Vinny you had posted this video orginally, I got it mixed up in my head with the other post by Marion, LOL. Thanks Vinny and good talking to you the other day
EVAN
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8626 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hi Evan, great to hear from you and thanks so much for the wonderful words, much appreciated. Smile I know you have journey'd a few times to see Mickey Silver in action, and he has been most gracious to you. Smile I have to agree totally with your view here:

"Back to the video: The burn he gets on the reverse ROV is uncanny. Mentally I have to resist believing the coin is actually under the [card]..imagine the effect on a layperson."
And thank God laypeople are our greater audience. Smile

And funsway hits the nail on the head as well as to Mickey and his way as a magician and man. Smile

Lot's of great and interesting comments here, and not. Hope you guys got your eyes open. Smile My grandpa used to say that there was as much written on an empty page as there is on page filled with words, it's the question that matters most and is most telling. So listen closely for what you hear and for what you don't hear as both are indeed answering. Smile

And as to Mickey here, yes bowers my friend, it is an incredibly tooled use of the ROV indeed...I don't think it has ever been so creatively used and mastered. I believe that if Dai Vernon or John Ramsay or Slydini or even Roth had better discovered the greater potential and beauty of this illusion, it would be regarded and presented as a testament & treatise, and even more evidence of their greatness. I can't see how it would not. Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Mickey Silver ' hands of las vegas (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL