The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Mickey Silver ' hands of las vegas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
730 Posts

Profile of dduane
Mr. Schneider are you saying that you researched and wrote up Mickey Silver’s life story ? You yourself actually worked on his past for 5 years for a film and book? This is news to most of us who know him, considering that he is a private person that would not be sharing this information as you have on the Café. Hopefully he and his partners approve of this being revealed.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10699 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hey Carles don't make me laugh. no one knowws Mickey better than me in the magic community.
what ever he told you he would never reveal to the real world....
all you got frome him was a fugazzie....
the godfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of cperkins
So how about some details, Charles!
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Yeah...that would be a shocker. Knowing what a private person he is...well, you understand my hesitation to buy this one... Smile

Doug
tkuiveuxo
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of tkuiveuxo
With all those posts I suddenly start feeling insecure about me understanding the method Smile
anyway, I will write how I think it was done, and that is how my friends thought it was done too (yes, I asked them to describe what they saw, after the saw the video ONCE)

I know this is not secret sessions,but mickey gave his approval a few posts earlier

M takes the coin, pretending to put it under the card, actually leaving it in the hand, then takes "another" coin, actually pulling the one left in his hand and "putting" it under the second card
then taking the "third" coin in the same manner as described, and repeating until there is a coin under each card (actually there are no coins under the cards)
then, after "showing" his hands "empty" (really liked this one btw) he picks up each card to show the coin is really there, actually showing the coin in his hand each time, taking it back into the hand when he puts the card down, thus showing the same coin each time, and never really putting it under the cards
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On 2012-12-28 12:45, tkuiveuxo wrote:
With all those posts I suddenly start feeling insecure about me understanding the method Smile
anyway, I will write how I think it was done, and that is how my friends thought it was done too (yes, I asked them to describe what they saw, after the saw the video ONCE)

I know this is not secret sessions,but mickey gave his approval a few posts earlier

M takes the coin, pretending to put it under the card, actually leaving it in the hand, then takes "another" coin, actually pulling the one left in his hand and "putting" it under the second card
then taking the "third" coin in the same manner as described, and repeating until there is a coin under each card (actually there are no coins under the cards)
then, after "showing" his hands "empty" (really liked this one btw) he picks up each card to show the coin is really there, actually showing the coin in his hand each time, taking it back into the hand when he puts the card down, thus showing the same coin each time, and never really putting it under the cards

Why would you dissect it like that anywhere, let alone an open forum? If it's to show off then it will have the opposite effect on here. Have a little respect for others work.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8632 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2012-12-19 23:40, J-Mac wrote:
Aw, c'mon guys. Give tkuiveuxo the benefit of the doubt. He might have a couple friends who say, "I know how he did that." Haven't all of us met folks who do the same? Take a look on YouTube - almost any amazing-looking effect you find on there you will usually also find someone posting that they know exactly how it was done.

Jim

Y'see J, tuxedo makes 2 posts in this string and both are left to be desired for one reason or another. I agree with Sean here.
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7041 Posts

Profile of bowers
Hmm.. some peoples children
tkuiveuxo
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of tkuiveuxo
Quote:
On 2012-12-28 13:54, Sean Giles wrote:

Why would you dissect it like that anywhere, let alone an open forum? If it's to show off then it will have the opposite effect on here. Have a little respect for others work.

its not to show off at all, check all the posts in this topic, you will see that mickey ASKED me to write how I think it was done, and added, that he allows that it will be here and not in secret sessions
manreb
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of manreb
What is being described by tkuiveuxo is what has to have been done. It is the same thing as my seven year old nephew telling me that he knows that I kept the coin in the other hand and didn't really place in the hand he saw it placed in. This is not knowledge, it is conjecture. It is the logical mind saying since what I saw can't be it must have happened like this.
I hate to say this but, who cares what explaination tkuiveuxo frien's have of what the saw because what they saw was impossible.
Ask what they actually saw and the honest answer is they saw the coins go under the cards and vanish.

Why waste the time on this. I am more interested in a possible DVD/Book on Mickey.

Happy New Year
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of cperkins
I agree with Manreb. End of discussion here with this - this observation by tkuiveuxo is infantile....adds absolutely nothing and is just not worthy of further comment.

So what's up with this new film and book project about MIckey????

Charles Schneider....your turn please.
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Gary Kosnitzky
Tkuiveuxo,

Speculation is not realization.

If you witnessed Mickey place a coin under a playing card
I doubt very highly that you would bet your paycheck on whether
it was really under the card or not.

To those who can't read English well (English may not be their primary language) and comprehend what I just said let me make one thing very clear, I am not criticizing tkuiveuxo, I am only trying to explain metaphorically that Mickey's illusion is perfect and indistinguishable from reality. I am not actually suggesting that tkuiveuxo bets his paycheck on anything.
Rediscover a lost art.

www.jadoosmagic.com
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7041 Posts

Profile of bowers
It like doing a spellbound routien.
changing a coin from silver to say a
chinese coin.if done correctly.it looks
like pure magic.we know its not.but who
cares.and one only ever sees one coin.
if I know how a trick works.but someone
can execute it perfect.i will still watch
it over and over for the pure magic astonishment
it brings to me.
todd
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
It’s ok ,there’s no problem here. I Just found Tkuiveuxos explanation very disappointing. As manreb pointed out ,
This is not knowledge, it is conjecture. It is Tkuiveuxo and his friends logical mind saying since what they saw can't be it must have happened like this.

It’s a shame because I was truly hoping Tkuiveuxo and his friends could have pointed out some flaws in the routine,such as inadequate timing, flashing , noise disposition, visual tells or simply anything that would bring on a legitimate knowledgeable conversation for us to go over. As cperkins stated and most agree we have no reason to go on talking about this explanation from Tkuiveuxo due to his infantile observation.

However Tkuiveuxo, I want to thank you very much for the kind words and really liking the routine as you stated. I was just hoping you could tell me how it can be improve upon.
This was the only reason I asked you to explain. No problem: all is well- we are all friends !!

MICKEY SILVER - “THE HANDS OF LAS VEGAS"
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-12-27 02:04, charles schneider wrote:
After spending over 5 years researching and writing up the amazing life of Michael Sweeney (AKA Mickey Silver) - for film and book projects - I can say with conviction that 2013 Will be the year that the world finds out HOW and WHY Sweeney developed his MOVE. Prepare to have your minds blown!

This would surprise me. Mickey, can ya clear this one up? Smile

Doug
tkuiveuxo
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of tkuiveuxo
I never said the routine had any flashes or anything similar, but I do think that if laymen can understand how something is done, in the moment it was done, something is wrong

I can ask my friends if you want what exactly made them suspect, if it was a flash or lack of naturalness or whatever, because they pointed to me what happened before they saw the end, they just knew the coins aren't there
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8641 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On 2012-12-29 03:48, tkuiveuxo wrote:
I do think that if laymen can understand how something is done, in the moment it was done, something is wrong

Wrong?? The famous book "Our Magic" was written for laymen rather than magicians so that they could understand what was going on, and thereby appreciate the artistry of the performer and not be duped by charlatans. The popularity of C&B and Linking Rings over time comes in part from the fact that every spectator does "know" how it is done, but can appreciate the skill and excitement of being fooled and entertained in spite of this knowledge.

In my experience most spectators do not attempt to de-structure or "figure out" the effect, but just enjoy the warm fuzzies and file the experience away as "magic" in some mental drawer with other similar experiences. But, allowing that your friends can "figure it out," how is this "wrong" if that is what excites them? As you have explained that they "know the basics" -- whatever that means -- their reaction is hardly typical of all lay people. Have you perhaps conditioned them to analyze the method rather than enjoy the magic?

Please explain how your previous magic effects have given them "the basics" and how their reaction is in anyway typical of "layman."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3789 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Over the years, I have seen many posts that criticize videos posted here or on youtube. A video is unlike a regular performance. There is poor misdirection, as everything is seen on a small screen. The watcher has the ability to watch it more than once, and even stop it in the middle. Mistakes, unnoticed in a live performance, are magnified on a video. It is often easy to presume what happens, even if the moves are indetectable, as we always start from the premise that there is a method to perform it. So, I never worry about comments made after seeing a video. Case in point. David Roth invented a new system to ditch coins standing up without a topit. He held it a secret for over 15 years before offering it to the magic community. he showed it to Latta and myself one night at his house, and it fooled the heck out of us, and we were three feet away. It fried everyone who saw it, and destroyed the entire audience at one of the New York Coin Magic Seminars. Alex Conradi used the system to win third place in a national competition. Yet when I put the video up to be seen, there were so many comments about how stupid and obvious it was. That made me laugh. I am willing to bet the people who watched the video here would have been shocked at the vanish of the coins at the end had they seen a live performance, as it was totally unexpected. But the reality is that it doesn't matter. Videos are offered up to be seen not to dissect, but to enjoy. The knowing people who write that they know how its done are only patting themselves on the back. to the person who posted about the friends knowing how it is done, I only regret that they couldn't watch it live. that's how magic is supposed to be viewed. Live. I'm done now.
First edition almost sold out, but don't despair, you can still get your signed copy and free gift!! Taking pre-orders NOW!! Second printing should be ready third week of July. So don't wait!!
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! To pre-order, email me at rubinsteindvm@aol.com for info.
ORDER YOURS TODAY!!
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
730 Posts

Profile of dduane
Well put Michael. What comes to mind when I hear people explain how magic was done after watching a video is that they don't realize how foolish they sound. It's like they are saying, "See, I just proved that even though it looked real, magic is not real!". To that person I would say, "Why bother to go to the movies? They are all fake. They are just acting. There are microphones and cameras and staff just outside the frame." Even though we know that the impossible is just that. Don't we love suspending reality for the moment and believing anything can happen?

The best magicians make the audience laugh because their logic has been tickled so much. That's what Mickey does to me anyway.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-12-28 23:21, Dougini wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-12-27 02:04, charles schneider wrote:
After spending over 5 years researching and writing up the amazing life of Michael Sweeney (AKA Mickey Silver) - for film and book projects - I can say with conviction that 2013 Will be the year that the world finds out HOW and WHY Sweeney developed his MOVE. Prepare to have your minds blown!

This would surprise me. Mickey, can ya clear this one up? Smile

No reply. That tells me all I need to know. My Bullsh** meter just went off the scale...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Mickey Silver ' hands of las vegas (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL