The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I'm Learning C++ by Myself (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
...and it is insanely difficult. Just saying.

I took a full-year Java class, so I understand the concepts behind programming. That isn't my issue. I am also VERY experienced in GameMaker (GML) by YoYoGames.

What I want is a tutorial that isn't overly simple (Hello World examples, tutorials on classes and functions) and not overly complicated (creating GUI systems, running Windows API, etc.)

I JUST WANT TO FIND A TUTORIAL THAT SUITS MY EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!

Any of you programmers have suggestions?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I learned C from the classic Kernighan & Ritchie text; it wasn't all that hard. And from what I recall, there's not a lot of difference between C and C++. (I think they got rid of pointers in C++ (or maybe in C#), which I think is stupid: the whole point of C was that you could use pointers to address specific memory locations; that's why it's so useful for writing device drivers. Oh, well.)

I'm guessing that you could do a lot worse than C++ for Dummies.

Good luck!
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
It has been a while since I programmed but I remember C++ as much more object oriented than C. I remember it being very different than C.

I had a couple of good books. I'd just go by Amazon's rating system and reviews. Should give a good direction.
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
I'm not too familiar with modern C++ literature, but one thing that often worked with me is to set out an ambitious but attainable goal. Like, write a C++ program that accomplishes a specific goal that touches the areas you want to learn.

For example, a while ago I felt like getting some python experience. I was also in a weird place in terms of background: I did lots of scientific computing (so the Hello World tutorials were useless) but I am by no means a professional programmer, so a lot of other stuff was over my head. I decided to just throw together a program that:

1. Took as an input a PDF file;
2. OCRed it;
3. Looked for certain regular expressions in the file;
4. Extracted matches and ran queries to an online database based on the regular expressions; and
5. Downloaded documents related to the results of the query.

(The context is, I'm a patent lawyer. I often get papers back from the patent office referencing other patents. So my program pulls out the patent numbers referenced by the patent office and automatically downloads them.)

That's a relatively modest project, but it provided a nice outline to go learn how to do stuff from various tutorials.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-12-05 18:04, Slide wrote:
It has been a while since I programmed but I remember C++ as much more object oriented than C. I remember it being very different than C.

Now that I'm pondering it more fully, I agree: C++ includes objects not in C. Nevertheless, the basics of the language are the same; it simply has objects and classes and operator overloading and stuff added on.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-12-05 18:26, MobilityBundle wrote:
I decided to just throw together a program that:

1. Took as an input a PDF file;
2. OCRed it;
3. Looked for certain regular expressions in the file;
4. Extracted matches and ran queries to an online database based on the regular expressions; and
5. Downloaded documents related to the results of the query.

So . . . how did it turn out?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I'm Learning C++ by Myself (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL