The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Performing for the Blind? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
I approached a couple at a table last night and the lady declined to see any magic because her companion was legally blind. I wanted to offer something, or say that I had an effect that he could appreciate, but I couldn't think of anything.

Any suggestions?
NickOShea
View Profile
New user
Edinburgh, Scotland
23 Posts

Profile of NickOShea
I believe this inspirational story about Whit Haydn will be um, inspirational.

Magic for a Blind Girl

Apparently he continued on with OOTW and Invisible deck, thus a magical experience for the girl as well.
Risto L.
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
174 Posts

Profile of Risto L.
United States Playing Card Company actually manufactures poker sized Braille playing cards. The corners of each card have Braille markings of suit and numbers.

Check http://www.abookorgame.com/cgi-bin/uncle......8?pa=hoc for more details. I think I will add one of these into my "arsenal", just in case.

Risto

:coolest: Smile
kellser121
View Profile
New user
UK
42 Posts

Profile of kellser121
Surely any simple mental magic would have been alright..?
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I actually did a show once for a school where all the students were deaf, blind or both! Quite an experience!

The sponges work well here. Have her hold out her hands and put a sponge ball on each palm. Have her sighted friend verify that you have no extra sponges-your hands are empty. Pick up one and put it in your hand (false transfer). Pick up the other and move it to her other hand, doing a secret addition. Place your empty hand on her empty wrist, and grasp it, such that she feels it is empty. Move her hand onto your palm up fist, while continuing to contact her wrist. Slowly open your fist so her hand drops onto your empty palm. Ask her to move her hand onto her fist and then slowly open it, just as you did. She'll feel both sponges, and be amazed!

Also, many TT tricks can be used here. She feels both of your hands are empty and holds onto your wrists, and you make something appear. Reverse process to make it disappear.

Frankly, Raymonde, I can't believe you didn't call me about this!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
Actually, Scott, it was late when I posted this. Besides, I thought I'd give you the chance to share your advice with the magic world at large.

Now that I think of it, the three Chinese coins off a ribbon from DesTROYers would work for a blind person, who could feel the condition of the coins and ribbon. Maybe linking cards, either the Paul Harris Cardboard Connection or Harry Lorrayne's version. In the Lorrayne version the blind spectator could make the cardboard loops.

Once I performed at a senior citizens' home and a woman narrated my show for her blind mother. It was interesting and informative to hear a spectator tell what she was perceiving as I was performing.
Chintamani
View Profile
New user
UK
39 Posts

Profile of Chintamani
I recently saw Whit Haydn do the routine mentioned above in Magic For A Blind Girl. I was completely fooled, then he revealed the secret and told the story of how he used it with the blind girl, it was very moving. It is VERY strong and perfect for such a situation. Try it! Good luck.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Quote:
On 2002-05-18 14:55, Risto L. wrote:
United States Playing Card Company actually manufactures poker sized Braille playing cards. The corners of each card have Braille markings of suit and numbers.

Risto

:coolest: Smile

With braile cards you could do a three card monte - "Feel the Lady" !!!!
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
On a slighly different tack, does anyone know of any blind magicians?

I'm interested as there was an article in Juggle magazine a while ago about a blind juggler. Incredible!

Slainte!

ML
Eric Starkey
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh, PA
180 Posts

Profile of Eric Starkey
There is a gentleman in the Pittsburgh area that is rapidly loosing his sight. He is a rather intelligent man who works for Carnegie Mellon University.

He has recently (over the past few years) become interested in the art of sleight-of-hand and is learning as much as he possibly can with the small amount of vision that remains. For an amateur magician, he is an above average finger-flicker.

I bring this up, because he frequently asks if anyone knows of other blind magicians. If anyone could help to put him in contact with someone who has shared similar experiences, I am sure that he would greatly appreciate it.

I'm not really friends with this man, we are merely acquaintances, but I have tremendous respect for his courage and dedication to our art form.
J_C
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
59 Posts

Profile of J_C
Performing magic for the blind really interests me. What a challenge! And surely the if us magicians are to entertain any of our society, our priorities should be with the people who need it most.

Anyway, I've been thinking for a while about effects to use and I have heard of an effect called 'Knock em dead'. This is a card trick where a spectator deals cards face down and stops at a certain card. They then read instructions on the card box which says:
"bla bla bla bla, you have picked the 5 of clubs (or whatever)"

Could this be adapted to using braille cards instead, or isn't that possible?. Ofcourse the instructions could easily be made in braille.

On the same subject as braille, Derren Brown did an mentalism effect to a blind athlete. He gave the athlete an envelope with the prediction in, then did all the mentalism stuff. A wonderful effect.
Ryan
View Profile
New user
Calgary
89 Posts

Profile of Ryan
Perhaps you could try the Crazy Man's Handcuffs where the blind person holds one band, while you work the other band. You may have to hold on to the person with your free hand to prove that you arn't using it.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Quote:
On 2002-05-22 08:05, Missing_Link wrote:
On a slighly different tack, does anyone know of any blind magicians?
ML

Card magician Richard Turner comes to mind who weighs the playing card on his hands and tells you what value they are by the ink weight.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
MagicalChris
View Profile
New user
Oregon
53 Posts

Profile of MagicalChris
Brail cards sounds like a wonderful thing to have with you for those situations. And I like how scott added he had a seeing friend say he had no extras. (adds alot).

I suggest (for seeing but deaf) any mind blowing colorchange with cards, and for the blind, as kellser121 said, Mental magic sounds like a great route to take for a quick or not so quick but good way to deal with the situation.

0o0 these are the little things, and the little things count 0o0

-chw
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
For the blind, I think Eddie Fechter's "That's It" would do very well if you had the braille cards.

But then again, I think that trick does very well for just about anything.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Why not do a card effect in which the blind person reveals the selection? A piece of card stock could be taped to the cardbox, with the value and suit in braille.

The sighted person could pick the card and shuffle it into the deck. The cards would then be placed into the box and the blind spectator would reveal the card by touch. It would help if you know if they read braille or not.
Shenaniganz
View Profile
New user
Cypress, CA
100 Posts

Profile of Shenaniganz
Quote:
On 2002-05-18 13:30, NickOShea wrote:
I believe this inspirational story about Whit Haydn will be um, inspirational.

Magic for a Blind Girl

Apparently he continued on with OOTW and Invisible deck, thus a magical experience for the girl as well.

What a cool story. I've never thought about magic for the blind. I guess you could go pretty far with mental stuff. One ahead and such
Zorro
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Zorro
I have a friend whose son is blind. I've performed for his birthday for the last 5 years. Always a good challenge. Some of the effects I've done for him: Multiplying bunnies; wand tricks (silly wand; broken wand ;nesting wands) and my favorite (and his) Bent penny transposition from Paul Harris . I also make him the magician including big hat and glasses w/a simple code reading a shuffled deck. Always looking for more ideas
irarab
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of irarab
Putting a half dollar into a bottle (folding coin) would be a good trick to do on a blind person. They could shake the bottle and hear the coin inside. Smile
J_C
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
59 Posts

Profile of J_C
There's a trick whereby you push a coin into a balloon which can be handed as a souvenir, which would work pretty well.

The Intercessor gimmick would work very well too, as they would be able to feel that the corner matches.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Performing for the Blind? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL