The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Tabman's Arm Buzz Saw - Infos? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Skeleton
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
289 Posts

Profile of Skeleton
I am the proud owner of one of this rare illusion (I bought this one about 8 years ago from the guy who ordered it directly from Tabman and only used it once), however, the way economics are I will probably have to sell it again and am therefore looking for more informations.

Of course I have also contacted the owners of the Tabman-page directly, but so far have not yet gotten an answer.

What I am interested in is
a) how many of this illusion were built in total? I heard something of about 10 - 15, but I would like to know the exact number.
b) is the one I own the only one that made it overseas?
c) any additional infos/trivia

Thany you for any help which will be very much appreciated!
To infinity, and beyond!
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
950 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Tabman magic by Tabby Crabb has a whole chapter on the arm buzz saw. Looks like the first one was custom built for Kozak. Three more were built after that the last of wich was built for Christian Linderman in Germany. Very interesting book.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I recall hearing that the one owned by Kozak was sold (seems I recall hearing Joe Givan's name??). I had also heard this was the one used by Dan Sperry on AGT. Supposedly, Tabman was to be working on one for Dan, but that never manifested, and the one had to be borrowed.

You should verify all the info that I am offering, as none of it came directly from any of the named people, but it may give you some leads to follow. My apologies in advance if this is incorrect.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
I own the last one Tabman ever built. Kozak is my best friend and gave me rights/"OK" to use his routine and have one built. I got to know Tabby the last few years of his life and he was a really great guy. As many of you know he was sick around the time I was doing AGT. He had begun building me the arm saw but because of his condition it took months and months to build it - which was OK with me, I didn't want to rush him. It was being completed at the time of AGT but because of a few modifications I made to my version it wasn't done in time and I did use my other close friend, Joe Givan's. Joe own's Kozak's original version and is the only other person allowed to do Kozak's routine. Tabby's book is great and worth purchasing. He was an amazingly skilled builder and I'm really honored to have known him - he even signed/burnt his name into my arm saw. A piece I will really treasure for a long time.
DANSPERRY.COM
Skeleton
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
289 Posts

Profile of Skeleton
Quote:
On 2012-12-06 13:41, gimpy2 wrote:
Tabman magic by Tabby Crabb has a whole chapter on the arm buzz saw. Looks like the first one was custom built for Kozak. Three more were built after that the last of wich was built for Christian Linderman in Germany. Very interesting book.

Thank you very much - in fact I bought mine from Christian.

So if I got that right in total only 4 were built (I always wanted to buy the mentioned book, but until now there was always something more important that ate the budget Smile )?
To infinity, and beyond!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Dan,

Thanks for chiming in and verifying the details. Tabby and I were good friends, but I only had heard partial information regarding the saw. He gave me my first real kick start as a builder, and I miss him dearly.

Of note.. another poster here, Gimpy, along with Tabby, Ray Witkowski (who had purchased Tabman Tables), and I were all together on a one time "builder's forum" held at Bob Sanders' Magic Ranch soiree a few years ago. That was just a few months before Tabby passed. Here is that motley crew...

~michael baker
The Magic Company
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
950 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Michael,

That brings back memories of the hottest day I can remember. Thanks for the loan of that umbrella, Mrs Gimpy and I would have cooked without it.

What the pic dosent show is that Tabby was barefoot.... It was that hot.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
No doubt. That photo was taken midday, after spending several hours in blazing sun, and the theater's A/C was on the blink. See the box fan on the stage next to Tabby? It could have been a space heater and we probably couldn't tell the difference. We all look totally beat down.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
950 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Dan,

Did Tabby Complete a saw for you after AGT? Any more info would be great. Loved seeing it on AGT.

By the way I think Tabby was the most interesting person I have ever met.
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
Yep I have it and love it - very honored to be one of the owners of this rare piece
DANSPERRY.COM
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of trey
Agreed, Tabby was a great guy, and a real character! I miss talking shop with him!
doctorrigormorto
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
284 Posts

Profile of doctorrigormorto
In 1987, I saw Harry Anderson's TV Special 'Sideshow'. During the show he talked about many different Torture Illusions used in Sideshow in the past, and in the background as he talked was this Amazing Arm Buzz Saw. I never forgot what an impact it had on me, and I had not even seen it performed.

Around 13 years ago the 'Vivisection Machine' as he called it went up for auction... and I bid highest.
I now own Harry Anderson's Arm Buzz Saw and have used it in my show Carnival Diablo around 8 times. It is a truly sinister piece of equipment.

I was told at the auction that Harry had bought it off of a great old Spook Show Star that had used it back in the late 40's and 50's. It is an original Thayer.
I am still researching what his name was.

I would hold onto it if I were you... there will never be another like it on the market.
http://www.diablomanor.com
http://www.theparanormalshow.net
http://www.carnivaldiablo.com

Imagination is more important than Knowledge.

Albert Einstein
Zakari Asiago
View Profile
Regular user
Panhandle of Florida
189 Posts

Profile of Zakari Asiago
Michael, Ray Witkowski has past too. He was a friend of mine when I lived in PA.
I was at the Magic Ranch that year too. It was the last time I saw Ray.
Zakari Asiago

401 South Ave.

Fort Walton Beach, FL 32547
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
>>>>doctorrigormorto>>>>>

Mark Walker (he is a café 'customer') has extensive knowledge regarding the spook shows of the period you mentioned. I have some knowledge, but HE is the 'prime source'.

I THINK I remember the late BILL MORTON using an arm buzz saw in the blow off of his sideshow at the Milwaukee Wisconsin 'CENTURAMA' in the late '40s. If I am right, it most likely was a THAYER.

The late KEN GRIFFIN, used one, I'm sure, when he toured his illusion show in the '50s,'60s and '70s. His, too, was most likely a THAYER.

I saw both the SILKINI 'BROTHERS' (WYMAN AND JACK) shows. Wyman in the late '40s, and Jack in the early '50s. Wyman did not use a saw. (He trouped with a very light show!) Jack was using backdrops and more props. I don't remember him using a saw. Both relied a lot on audience participation bits.

Hope this helps!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
>>>ZAKARI>>>>!!!!

Great to see your name! It's a loooong time since Colon!!!

You still using that blade box??? For history's sake, I bought it from John Friday's brother when John died (late '90s?).
Jerry and I used it, part time, one summer, around Colon. (festivals, etc.)

I'm sure you've heard that Jerry Conklin died (March 29, 2010).

Glad too, to note that you're still in the business!

O
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
doctorrigormorto
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
284 Posts

Profile of doctorrigormorto
Thank you Dick for that info! Smile

I am going to have to do more research on the Arm Buzz Saw, because the one that Harry Anderson owned was used by a rather famous Spook Show star.
I will let you guys know when I find out who the original owner was. Smile

If anyone else has any other names of performers that used this outrageous illusion... let me know!
http://www.diablomanor.com
http://www.theparanormalshow.net
http://www.carnivaldiablo.com

Imagination is more important than Knowledge.

Albert Einstein
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
The arm buzz saw that Ken Griffin used was made by Owen's. For a time they had it in their catalog. Ken told me that the section of "arm" that was removed and displayed was actually a fresh ham hock which was about the right size and shape and had that "flesh" appearance.

It was a grizzly effect, but very strong. The name that Owen used for it was "Bloodless Amputation."

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Having trouped in FRANCISCO'S MIDNIGHT SPOOK SHOW, I can tell you he didn't have one.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
For anyone interested... I am currently selling a Tabman Arm Buzz Saw...
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Tabman's Arm Buzz Saw - Infos? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL