We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » There was a big party at the Seatle space needle last night » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
315 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Quote:
On 2012-12-09 11:05, tommy wrote:
Thanks Al but it was an open question to anyone really. I was merely wondering what were doctors saying in general to people who are pot smokers.

It was years ago but the conversation during an exam went something like this:

"Any drug use?"
"Occassionally some herb. That's about it."
"I'm not too worried about that."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
A witch doctor was originally a type of healer who treated ailments believed to be caused by witchcraft. I wonder how the exam went. Had any dizzy spells?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There's some talk about targeting violence rather than consumption as an interim measures. link to article

Workplace drug use policies may be a simpler approach

Then again we are facing some entrenched hypocrisy here so ... will see how denial flows
...to all the coins I've dropped here
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
315 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Quote:
On 2012-12-09 17:31, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Workplace drug use policies may be a simpler approach

It will be interesting to see how workplace drug policies change in states where is herb legalized.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It's not a matter of legal - alcohol is legal yet testing as positive for that stuff in your system is not okay at the workplace.

Same for driving (while impaired)
...to all the coins I've dropped here
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
315 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Quote:
On 2012-12-09 17:38, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
It's not a matter of legal - alcohol is legal yet testing as positive for that stuff in your system is not okay at the workplace.

Same for driving (while impaired)

Agreed, but isn't it the case that testing for illegal drugs is not limited to being under the influence at the workplace?

And, not to nitpick, consumption of alcohol is acceptable in some work situations.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes like I said above, teachers are now being required to take random drug tests. Like as in prison. A work contract will come with: “I am willing to take a random drug test,” If you want a job when in prison, rather than being locked up there 23 hours a day, then they ask you to sign such a contract.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Tommy
So you think that it is ok to kill yourself with tobacco, or alcohol? While killing your self with a gun or a knife is illegal, and marijuana which has never made anyone sick is an evil drug.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
You can kill with anything you like for all I care. It all helps to reduce the poulation. Save the planet!

Tommy
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2012-12-09 11:30, Al Angello wrote:
Here Tommy

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/bl......low.html

"This should not be viewed as an endorsement of state-based medical cannabis programs, the legalization of marijuana, or that scientific evidence on the therapeutic use of cannabis meets the current standards for a prescription drug product"

Hardly the rousing endorsement you would like it to be.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Here is the AMA's current position:

Quote:
Yet despite how the culture around pot has changed, defenders of the current federal policy have clung to a prominent, and trusted, ally to back them: the American Medical Association, which the justice department often cites when enforcing marijuana policy.

So it it might have come as a surprise on Tuesday when the AMA announced that, after 72 years, it was reversing its pot policy—and urged the federal government to do the same. Precipitated by a similar decision by the group’s Medical Student Section, the AMA resolved that “that marijuana’s status as a federal Schedule 1 controlled substance be reviewed,” with the goal of facilitating clinical research, and presented a new medical report, conducted by its Council on Science and Public Health, laying out the drug’s various medical benefits.

The AMA hopes the resolution will make clinical research on cannabis—long a roadblock in proving that the substance was ill-classified—a more-easily obtained reality. At present, getting the necessary clearance to study a Schedule 1 drug is a near-impossible bureaucratic nightmare that involves multiple government agencies, and purchase of notoriously low-potency pot from the government’s only legal growth facility, at the University of Mississippi. As a result, “only a small number of randomized, controlled trials have been conducted on smoked cannabis,” physician (and AMA board member) Edward Langston told the Los Angeles Times earlier this week.

Tthe AMA move is a powerful symbolic gesture—"a huge shift in medical ideology," says the medical student who spearheaded the resolution—and demolishes the long-held pot prohibitionist claim that "no sound scientific studies have supported medical use of smoked marijuana.”
[emphasis added]

Hardly a rousing argument against marijuana.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Will the government be adding it to the water? To some it would be a blissful release from the depression.

Tommy
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2012-12-09 20:06, mastermindreader wrote:
Hardly a rousing argument against marijuana.

True Bob, but I'm not the one claiming that it's completely harmless, has never hurt anyone ever ever, and will cure all of mankinds ills. (OK, so a certain someone hasn't made that last claim but I'm expecting to see it anytime now.)
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Rockwall
They have declared marijuana completely harmless in two states so far.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-12-09 21:00, Al Angello wrote:

What, exactly, does it mean to declare it completely harmless?

It's not as if they've proven that that's so.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I'm not aware of any state or authority declaring marijuana to be completely harmless. Not many things are if they are abused or used to excess. While I'm in favor of legalization as I see it to be a matter of personal choice, I think it is probably at least as hard on the lungs as tobacco.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Rockwall

Saying things like this doesn't really advance the claim that it doesn't impair your ability tobthink rationally.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well no, what they have done is declared marijuana a right. What is the opposite of a right but a wrong? You see it's a psychological mind trick. The message is, it is wrong not to take marijuana. Now why would the powers that be want to encourage the population to take marijuana I wonder? Well, as all know, the big idea behind everything that they do is population control. Men who smoke marijuana frequently have significantly less seminal fluid, a lower total sperm count and their sperm behave abnormally, all of which may affect fertility adversely, a new study in reproductive physiology at the University at Buffalo has shown. Hmmmm. So just perhaps marijuana is saving the planet. So are homosexuals of course, which is why the powers that be gave we the people the word gay instead of homosexual. Gay means happy and what are you if you not gay but unhappy. Hmmmm. The right to engage in perpetual war, a so called strategy dreamt up and declared Ex CIA Director David Petraeus can not be a wrong. That has helped save the planet. Hmmmm. Thank you for your service.

Tommy
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2012-12-09 22:04, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
Rockwall

Saying things like this doesn't really advance the claim that it doesn't impair your ability tobthink rationally.

LOL. Best response yet Lobo. Gave me a good laugh.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » There was a big party at the Seatle space needle last night » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL