The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Glance by Steve Thompson and Vanishing Inc (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..17~18~19 [Next]
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Just had an email through about this magazine test. Seems really frickin clean to me! I have been searching for a new book test and this looks like it could be what I'm looking for!

Does anyone else have any input on this one?

You present the current issues of two popular magazines and allow a spectator to examine all of them and choose one. You turn away and instruct her to open her magazine to any page and think of any word. "But let's find a good word," you say, "Make it a difficult word." She thinks of any word, on any page. It could be buried in an ad or a word from a picture caption. It's all fair game. Once she has a word in her mind, she closes the magazine and you turn around. You look her in the eyes and tell her what word she is thinking of.

"Glance" is the ingenious creation of Ireland's Steve Thompson. In collaboration with Vanishing Inc. and designed by Andi Gladwin, "Glance" brings you an entirely prepared contemporary news magazine. Wrap it with any current magazine cover and you will have one of the most potent weapons available to the performing mentalist: an ordinary object that allows you to do extraordinary things.

With the blessing of Ted Karmilovich (creator of Mother of All Book Tests), "Glance" allows you to perform one of the most impossible, memorable feats of mentalism with an object everyone has heard of and read before. And with Steve’s ingenious new system, you don’t even need to fish for any information about the word before revealing it.

No glimpses. No forces. No preparation. No counting.
No short pages. No stooges. No peeks. No sleight-of-hand.
No cues. No guesses.

"Glance" is an achievement in both engineering and design. Take a cursory flip through the magazine page by page and you will be astounded by the craftsmanship of the wording and the precision of the layout.

Special offer: we think that Glance is even better when you give the audience two different magazines to look through. Therefore, we have varied the design, creating a second magazine. Buy one magazine for $40 or both for just $50.

http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/mentalism/glance/

Jamie Daws
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Vanishing Inc. is truly awesome! Be sure to also check their new book on mentalism, "What Lies Inside" by Florian Severin:

http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/m......-inside/

Mike
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
626 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
This pretty much looks like the Holy Grail of book tests to me. The best method (MOABT), done with what appear to be current magazines (so totally organic), and all for $50 (hundreds less than comparable tests). I've long thought someone should create just this effect, but recognized how difficult it would be since you would need someone with the right combination of skill sets -- interest in and knowledge of mentalism, experience and expertise in magazine layout and graphic design, writing ability, obsessive attention to detail, etc. But then along comes Andi Gladwin. I VERY RARELY buy anything sight unseen, but I've already placed my order. The ad copy pretty clearly describes what you're getting. I have no doubt this will be the new standard by which all book tests are judged.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Ordered this as soon as I saw it-it will at least be worth the price, pretty cheap compared to other similar effects-a little surprised there isn't more said about this so far
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
brainman
View Profile
Special user
971 Posts

Profile of brainman
In which languages..?
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3349 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
I ordered mine too, the price is really good and Joshua and Andy are great guys to deal too!
I wish in the future they can print also other magazines as to give more choice between them...and maybe one day also in Italian?
who knows....
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I don't own MOABT but this looks super. The smallest bit of fishing from the demo seems quite natural and I am guessing it utilizes a kind of one-ahead type idea from what I saw... which then leads to the rest.

Really clever - nicely done. This is on my hit list now.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I just ordered - also curious as to the thickness of the two magazines - # of pages?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
oliversmith
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of oliversmith
I love the way Josh goes about revealing the first letter. Does anyone know if that is his creation or did someone else come up with that method? Thanks
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I think that the creator of this effect Steve Thompson may have come up with it - according to Jamie's description above:

"With the blessing of Ted Karmilovich (creator of Mother of All Book Tests), "Glance" allows you to perform one of the most impossible, memorable feats of mentalism with an object everyone has heard of and read before. And with Steve’s ingenious new system, you don’t even need to fish for any information about the word before revealing it."

Well there is a little fishing (one letter) but it seems presented so well that it doesn't feel like a fish.

I for one would like to commend Jay and Andi for presenting the whole routine demo with no cuts - which shows how powerful this plays even if it does reveal perhaps a drop of something that a casual spec would never notice.
henrysmith
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of henrysmith
Just received this today. surprised it arrived so fast, considering all the snow we got up here!!!

anyway, this trick is great. the magazine does all the work for you, and it's something I will be using. I wish the rest of my tricks were this clean (ha ha!)
not sure I will bother putting a recent magazine cover on the gimmick "guts" since it looks like a real magazine by default. but maybe it's worth doing to add to the impossibility.

I will not hesitate to recommend this, because it looks just like in the trailer (rare for magic these days)!!!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2012-12-10 16:39, henrysmith wrote:
Just received this today. surprised it arrived so fast, considering all the snow we got up here!!!

anyway, this trick is great. the magazine does all the work for you, and it's something I will be using. I wish the rest of my tricks were this clean (ha ha!)
not sure I will bother putting a recent magazine cover on the gimmick "guts" since it looks like a real magazine by default. but maybe it's worth doing to add to the impossibility.

I will not hesitate to recommend this, because it looks just like in the trailer (rare for magic these days)!!!

Thanks for your great review! Also, welcome to the Café Henry and hope to hear more from you in the near future. Very helpful.
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
Hi All,

Thanks for the kind words on our latest release, Glance. I'm having a blast with it.

Allow me to make some clarifications. First, I'm a bit sad because the trailer was filmed on a very tight time constraint. I don't usually do it up close, although I do keep a pile of magazines on my coffee table and do it socially with whoever comes over. It's a killer in that setting. But the way I use it most is for parlor performances. It's great because it plays so big. I usually use two magazines.

The pumping technique I used in the trailer is but one of THREE ways to ascertain the force words. There are eight force words, and I committed them to memory in about ten minutes. There's also a really handy, camouflaged "cheat" sheet on the back. So if you draw a blank or forget the list, you can just get a peek as you put the magazines away...and you'll know the word. The pump I used is not original with me--but one I learned from Ted K (with a small finesse I saw Andi do last year).

The small annoyance with the prop is adding the cover. You have to be patient if you want it to look perfect. Now that I've changed covers a few times, I can do it in about two minutes. But the first two times took me 20 minutes! But Henry is right. The covers we designed do look so absolutely real that you could just use them as is.

I have always been proud of our releases, and the fact that we don't put out any junk--only high quality items we ourselves use in shows. But GLANCE is, perhaps, the thing I'm most proud of at Vanishing Inc. Magic right now. I can proudly say that, thanks to Steve Thompson, we now have the finest, most useful book test on the market.

Thanks for all the kind words, and I'll watch this thread in case people have further questions.

Joshua Jay
oliversmith
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of oliversmith
Quote:
On 2012-12-10 17:41, Joshua Jay wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks for the kind words on our latest release, Glance. I'm having a blast with it.

Allow me to make some clarifications. First, I'm a bit sad because the trailer was filmed on a very tight time constraint. I don't usually do it up close, although I do keep a pile of magazines on my coffee table and do it socially with whoever comes over. It's a killer in that setting. But the way I use it most is for parlor performances. It's great because it plays so big. I usually use two magazines.

The pumping technique I used in the trailer is but one of THREE ways to ascertain the force words. There are eight force words, and I committed them to memory in about ten minutes. There's also a really handy, camouflaged "cheat" sheet on the back. So if you draw a blank or forget the list, you can just get a peek as you put the magazines away...and you'll know the word. The pump I used is not original with me--but one I learned from Ted K (with a small finesse I saw Andi do last year).

The small annoyance with the prop is adding the cover. You have to be patient if you want it to look perfect. Now that I've changed covers a few times, I can do it in about two minutes. But the first two times took me 20 minutes! But Henry is right. The covers we designed do look so absolutely real that you could just use them as is.

I have always been proud of our releases, and the fact that we don't put out any junk--only high quality items we ourselves use in shows. But GLANCE is, perhaps, the thing I'm most proud of at Vanishing Inc. Magic right now. I can proudly say that, thanks to Steve Thompson, we now have the finest, most useful book test on the market.

Thanks for all the kind words, and I'll watch this thread in case people have further questions.

Joshua Jay

Joshua Jay saying it's one of his proudest releases - I will be picking this up soon!
hornet
View Profile
Veteran user
Herts, England
374 Posts

Profile of hornet
Can this be used with magazines from countries other than the US? I'm in the UK, Time and Newsweek are readily available, but just curious whether this could be used with homegrown publications?

Paul
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
As long as they look and feel like standard newsprint magazines, it's fine. For example, lately I'm using one called "THE WEEK" that is popular here in NYC.

Josh
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Quote:
On 2012-12-11 12:33, hornet wrote:
Can this be used with magazines from countries other than the US? I'm in the UK, Time and Newsweek are readily available, but just curious whether this could be used with homegrown publications?

Paul

I use Time and Newsweek for Tru Test and have found that there aren't that many options in the UK for other magazines - usually based on actual content of the pages rather than anything else

this isn't an issue - I still ordered it and will happily use Time if it works best
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Josh-

Also curious as to whether it is wise to get rid of the magazines so as to preclude spectators from wanting to examine them later?

I didn't see that in the demo but I'm guessing that a performer would not be wise to allow the magazines to be closely inspected for anyone attempting to reverse engineer things.
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Can the magazine hold up to repeated attachment of covers? And what are the supplied dates and covers of the two magazines?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I am paraphrasing the mighty john riggs here, but he said on the subject of allowing people to examine your goods (so to speak)...he asked "would a samurai warrior allow a passerby to examine all of his equipment?"...

I have ordered a set of these, just waiting for my order to update to "shipped"!
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Glance by Steve Thompson and Vanishing Inc (9 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..17~18~19 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL