The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Not to happy with membership (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
magic8161
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of magic8161
I just joined the IBM and got my packet in the mail today. First off, The Membership card couldn't be cheaper looking. you think for $65 bucks it would be a real nice card like a drivers licence looks and feels. second, They got the name wrong on the card. I am sure they will fix that after I call them on Monday. The date on the card is also wrong. SAM has such a nicer looking membership card. I guess I just expected a little more from the IBM.
magic8161
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of magic8161
This was a card!!!! Not like the crap they have today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-ITEM-THE-IN......7866dbaf
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
A number of years ago there was a push by the members to cheapen the card. It used to be a plastic card like a credit card. The argument was it was "too thick" and they wanted something thinner. Smile I was at the annual meeting when they decided this. I was amazed that people could quibble over such minor details for so long.

There's no excuse for wrong information. You should definitely request a correction.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
magic8161
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of magic8161
This is the letter I wrote to the IBM:

Hi Sindie: My name is Jimmy “Big Bopper” Prince and I recently joined The IBM. I received my kit in the mail but was disappointed in the quality of the membership card. I feel the card is clearly not up to the standards of the image of the IBM.

There are also two issues with the card. First, it has an incorrect expiration date of Dec., 2012 instead of 2013. Secondly, when I filled out the application, I wanted my name to appear as Jimmy "Big Bopper" Prince and not James Prince. The name you issued may have been a result of me being a member years ago. Since then, I have become known in the entertainment field as Jimmy “Big Bopper” Prince and I would prefer to keep it that way.
I would greatly appreciate a new card be issued using Jimmy “Big Bopper” Prince with the correct expiration year of 2013. Thank you for your time, and I look forward in hearing from you. .......Jimmy Big Bopper Prince
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
I've been a member since 2006.... I have been lagging behind this time for renewal... True I was a few months late, but I sent the check and all the necessary membership information in last week and I have not yet received word from the IBM Headquarters (maybe slow mail?)

I just sent Terry Richison an email on this. I will wait to see where this goes.

If I don't hear back, I'm just going to go on and take my business to either S.A.M or the P.E.A.....
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Let's give the I.B.M. Staff a break here. I.B.M. Pays 2 or 3 full time staffers to run the main office and handle all of the day-to-day business. Everyone else is an unpaid volunteer with full time careers outside of the I.B.M.. If it takes them a week or two or three to acknowledge your renewal, I'd say they're doing the best they can. Then again, I'm still receiving Christmas cards postmarked in early December, so it is possible that they haven't even received your renewal yet or your card may be delayed in the mail. A little consideration goes a long way.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Amen, Skip!

I let my membership lapse in both the IBM and SAM last year. It wasn't necessarily because of dissatisfaction, though. I had lost my job and just couldn't justify the cost of membership vs. the benefits.

Living in rural northern Michigan, the nearest Ring is two hours away, and the nearest SAM club is almost 5 hours. The magazines were nice to get, but with my income getting slashed by almost 2/3rds, I just couldn't justify it. I miss it, though.

I DID maintain my membership in both FCM and KIDabra, though, because they are both more focused in the same areas that I am. I will likely let my KIDabara membership lapse this year for the same reasons.

Perhaps a membership that doesn't include the magazine would be something the clubs should all offer. Give us online access to content, etc, but give us the option not to receive the mags...that could greatly reduce costs to us, and perhaps even boost membership.

Just a few thoughts.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I believe the magazine option is available.

For me, I love TLR, as well as our local wonderful Ring 129.

Of course http://www.ring2100.org

is also a resource available to members.

Our ring is a great mix of hobbyist, historians, close up and stage workers.

My hat is off to the small group of dedicated officers and board people that do lots and lots of behind the scenes work for our club.

If you are in the area stop by for an event listed at

http://www.ring129.com

Harris
aka dr. laugh
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
You are correct on the magazine thing, Harris. I had forgotten that. I may have to think about renewing!

I LOVED the magazine, too...but finances just didn't allow it any longer.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Sorry to hear your not happy with the membership card. Sindie is only human and making an error like the date isn't good, but it isn't the end of the world, right?
As for getting your name wrong, Jimmy Big Bopper Prince, I'm not so sure having a pseudonym on the card is such a great idea. Sure a name badge at a convention, but I'm pretty sure your drivers license, which you referred to in your comment doesn't include Big Bopper! Just guessing... Heck my card says David, because that's my legal name, same as my drivers license and credit cards... The membership card is not a vanity device, it's a form of identification that helps other magicians to know, you're one of us...

Personally I love my membership and in fact just paid to become a lifetime member. Yes the new cards are not as nice as the thick credit card style ones, but that was done at the request of the membership, who voted to change it, democracy in action. I recall when cell phones first offered data and it was unlimited to all for a nominal fee and a class action suit was filed to make the providers offer incremental packages instead... what a gloriously stupid idea that has turned out to be ... The new card is fine. Do you show it to lots of people everyday? I take pride in the fact I am a member of the largest and most prestigious magic organization in the world. I travel the globe and love that I can drop in on a local magic Ring, show my card, and hang out with fellow magicians. I did this just lats week in Las Vegas and was treated to a FREE lecture by Chris Smith. Ok, I bought a $100 worth of stuff at the end... but I'll explain that to my Wife later!

The Linking Ring is still the best bang for your buck in a magazine for our industry. Other magazines I can breeze through in minutes. The addition of the digital version was a blessing since I can now read it on the road without the weight of each thick volume.

These are just my thoughts and may not reflect the views of other members of the board of the I.B.M.

Cheers,

Shawn "really David" Farquhar
I.B.M. International Vice President of the I.B.M.
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
I have a huge concept to make it more enticing to join. I will get in contact with the board and see what happens.

-Six
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I can't remember the last time I used my card.

I do remember the last time I saw some world class entertainment.

It was at Ring 129's Magician of the Year Banquet/Stage Contest.

M.C. Tom Burgoon.

Jay Temaat's competition act one 1st place.

Our International President John Pye and his wife were present.(and Mr. Pye performed)

If you get to KC, please contact me or another 129'er.

Everything's up to date in KC.

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Harris, that's a wickedly fun line up for a banquet show!
I know John Pye, our International President is quite an accomplished magician.
I had fun hanging out with him at the IBM convention in England last year.
Looking forward to seeing him again in Phoenix too!

-shawn
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
It was a pleasure and blessing to talk with the Pye's.

Also on the line up was past president, Roger Miller.

He has a wonderful way of connecting with his audiences. I have learned a lot from him over the years.

Our Ring 129, is a great mix of young and old, historians to street workers., comedians to the story tellers. .....

I stand on the wonderful shoulders of those that come before (and after) me.

When I am open I can learn so much.

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1068 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
On 2013-01-09 22:53, Skip Way wrote:
Let's give the I.B.M. Staff a break here. I.B.M. Pays 2 or 3 full time staffers to run the main office and handle all of the day-to-day business. Everyone else is an unpaid volunteer with full time careers outside of the I.B.M.. If it takes them a week or two or three to acknowledge your renewal, I'd say they're doing the best they can. Then again, I'm still receiving Christmas cards postmarked in early December, so it is possible that they haven't even received your renewal yet or your card may be delayed in the mail. A little consideration goes a long way.

Im glad this was posted as I was getting worried myself. I joined online 2 weeks ago and still have never got so much as an email to confirm. Was thinking of contacting them to make sure everything went through ok. Guess I'll give them another week before I do.
Magic Pierre
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Magic Pierre
SAM's card is nice and thick. You can even do a magic trick with it! Just sayin'...
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
I can't recall a time when it was necessary to whip out my IBM or SAM membership card. It might come in handy if visiting a Ring or Assembly in another city. Conventions don't require that you show your card. I think people are more impressed with your business card than they are with club membership cards. If you want to see a cheap card, join the Radio Shack Battery Club. I'm a proud member despite the card (Radio Shack).
Impressed?
MagisterFreud
View Profile
Regular user
The 18
135 Posts

Profile of MagisterFreud
If you are joining IBM for the membership card I think you've probably missed the point... but thanks for supporting the organization, anyway.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Quote:
On 2013-03-15 20:29, MagisterFreud wrote:
If you are joining IBM for the membership card I think you've probably missed the point... but thanks for supporting the organization, anyway.

I concur wholeheartedly.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
I sometimes get asked why a person should join the IBM. If I mention the Linking Ring, the person I am talking to says they already get Magic and Genii, and they don't need another magazine.

Besides the Linking Ring, what are the benefits for a magic club to be associated with the International Brotherhood of Magicians?

I've heard people mention the convention, but some people will never be able to attend one due to their jobs, and some of the people who are already in our ring can't attend a summer convention either. Besides, there are plenty of conventions a magician can attend at other times of the year. Others find the IBM Convention fantastic.

Are there any other reasons why a club should have an IBM affiliation? Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking the IBM - I've been a member for a few years now. I'm just wondering what to tell people who are thinking about joining a ring. Giving an answer like, "It's a club rule" doesn't seem to be a good answer. I know of a few clubs that don't have a national affiliation, and they seem to run just fine.

What good reasons can I give a person who is wondering whether to join or not?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Not to happy with membership (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL