The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Not to happy with membership (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
There are tons of good reasons to be a member of IBM and SAM, probably best described by the home office websites. More so by the camaraderie of its members. I wish there was an Assembly or Ring close to where I live, but I'm still a member by virtue of my past association. Membership in IBM allows you access to all the past issues of Linking Ring, and hopefully, SAM will soon have the same access. Maybe it is not a big deal for some people to think they are a member of the same organizations as Houdini (SAM), or a host of other luminaries with IBM that were once members, but it gives me a sense of history and I think history is one of magic's most important products.
MagisterFreud
View Profile
Regular user
The 18
135 Posts

Profile of MagisterFreud
If you are a working professional, IBM membership is a credential that may increase sales.
Thetruthteller
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Thetruthteller
Quote:
On 2013-03-17 01:51, Ba Ba Booey wrote:
I sometimes get asked why a person should join the IBM. If I mention the Linking Ring, the person I am talking to says they already get Magic and Genii, and they don't need another magazine.

Besides the Linking Ring, what are the benefits for a magic club to be associated with the International Brotherhood of Magicians?

I've heard people mention the convention, but some people will never be able to attend one due to their jobs, and some of the people who are already in our ring can't attend a summer convention either. Besides, there are plenty of conventions a magician can attend at other times of the year. Others find the IBM Convention fantastic.

Are there any other reasons why a club should have an IBM affiliation? Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking the IBM - I've been a member for a few years now. I'm just wondering what to tell people who are thinking about joining a ring. Giving an answer like, "It's a club rule" doesn't seem to be a good answer. I know of a few clubs that don't have a national affiliation, and they seem to run just fine.

What good reasons can I give a person who is wondering whether to join or not?

Yes, this is a query that I myself have pondered from time to time. Membership in the IBM has many benefits to the individual. There are few that seem to of any benefit for a club as a whole. Indeed, it can be an additional financial burden for club members to have to pay both the local dues and the national ones.

My club is fairly lax in checking who's a member or not. One of our previous presidents wasn't even a member. Until recently this wasn't an issue. But at the last meeting someone raised the issue that we should start checking membership with the national organization. But since it is all but impossible to get a roster of dues paying members from the IBM no one is sure exactly how one would check who is and isn't paid up. Many felt we should un-affiliate ourselves with the national organization and return to being an independent club. As no one can really deduce any benefit to the club for being an official IBM Ring. Perhaps the TVP should look into this and come tell us the benefits of being a recognized ring. It would give him a reason to visit out club. something he's never done in the decade that we've been associated with the IBM.
Peter Cuddihy
View Profile
Veteran user
Peter S. Cuddihy
346 Posts

Profile of Peter Cuddihy
Both the IBM and the SAM have much to offer especially if you join and are active in a local Ring or Assembly.

The membership card is one of the least valuable aspects of membership in either organization.
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
536 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
So far, I've heard that the organization has much to offer. I've looked at the websites of both the IBM and the SAM, but if one were to join for the magazine, many of the guys in our local club prefer MUM to the Linking Ring. Others prefer subscribing to Genii or Magic. These days, it is financially burdensome to subscribe to all these magazines, and TLR is the least read among the folks I know. Again, for individuals who like TLR, they'll keep renewing membership.

I can't seem to find "tons of reasons" to tell people why they should join. The club members already have camaraderie. The IBM doesn't provide extra camaraderie.

Most of the guys in the club are not professionals. Only a handful are semi-professionals. Again, why should a club be affiliated with the IBM? If there are no solid reasons, our club may give up its affiliation.

I, too, have found it next to impossible to get a list of paid up members. On the other hand, the president or secretary of the Assembly I belong to can get a list of state members and assembly members within a day of asking the SAM.

When I was president of my Ring, I sent several requests for members. The next two presidents have done the same, to no avail. Guys can say they are members, but who knows? That's why club members are beginning to question why they should remain a Ring. For those that wish to, they can still retain their IBM membership, and many will. But I have a feeling that most will gladly give up their membership if they only have to pay the club dues.

I hope someone else chimes in on this discussion and can give me some concrete reasons what the benefits are for the club to remain affiliated with the IBM.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Quote:
On 2013-03-18 23:52, Ba Ba Booey wrote:

I hope someone else chimes in on this discussion and can give me some concrete reasons what the benefits are for the club to remain affiliated with the IBM.

You seem to have enough reasons to not be affiliated with IBM so why continue to ask people to help you make up your mind? Are you looking for people to beg you to stay or join? You've already made up your mind.
And here is a life pointer from an old person, don't mock people who are trying to be nice or help, we don't appreciate it and it shows your juvenile thinking.
weidhaas
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of weidhaas
We formed a new Ring, and the selling idea was that it gave the club prestige to be a part of a larger organization. Visiting magic lecturers now had a way to find us. If we were not a Ring (or Assembly), we would have missed some great opportunities. Also, visiting members will read those Ring reports, and would stop by. And, non-affiliated members would travel and join our club because we were very active and our Ring reports showed that.

So by affiliating the club with the IBM, we grew.

Your TVP will help with your member list.
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Hey Spartacus,

I'm not mocking anyone. You obviously didn't understand my post. How the heck have I been thinking like a juvenile? Personally attacking me for asking legitimate questions seems a bit defensive on your part. No need to be insulting. I know you and others are trying to be helpful. That is why I am asking for help.

I'm a member of IBM. I get asked by possible new members as to why they should join. All I've heard from the posts here are that there are tons of good reasons to join. If I tell someone that there are tons of good reasons, they want to know what they are.

I only know of a couple of reasons to join the IBM (as an individual). There is the Linking Ring. That may or may not sway them, as there are better magazines out there. There is the annual convention. Most are held on the east coast, and there are plenty of other conventions to go to, as well. There is insurance, which only interests the working magicians. So far, I haven't read any compelling reasons for club affiliation. I've signed up several members over the years.

Now my Ring is thinking of giving up its affiliation. What can I say to the club members to convince them that affiliation is worthwhile? What benefits are there for clubs to be affiliated with the IBM?
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Thanks, Mark. That's one of the better reasons I've heard (lecturers). Much appreciated!
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
712 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Ba Ba Booey,

I know for the individual they give a webpage for every member. So you can create a page for yourself.
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Thanks, Andy. I appreciate any and all feedback you all have given.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
I am one that utilizes the I.B.M. perk of the easily modified web page.

Harris aka dr laugh
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Thetruthteller
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Thetruthteller
Quote:
On 2013-03-19 19:51, weidhaas wrote:
We formed a new Ring, and the selling idea was that it gave the club prestige to be a part of a larger organization. Visiting magic lecturers now had a way to find us. If we were not a Ring (or Assembly), we would have missed some great opportunities. Also, visiting members will read those Ring reports, and would stop by. And, non-affiliated members would travel and join our club because we were very active and our Ring reports showed that.

So by affiliating the club with the IBM, we grew.

Your TVP will help with your member list.

Our club was started by a group of magicians who left the local ring which had grown stagnate due to a clique of members that had been in control of the club for far too long. They started their own independent magic club. It was slow at first. but gradually grew into a very active and diverse club.

After several years one of the presidents of the club made a push to affiliate the club with the IBM. His chief motivation in doing this was so that he would be able to put President IBM Ring Number Blah, Blah Blah, on his business card. As if that really means much of anything to anybody.

Half the membership was against this affiliation as they remembered what the ring that they had fled was like. The other half was more or less convinced that this was a good idea. So it was a stalemate. The only way it was approved for the club to affiliate was if those who were members in good standing before the club became an official IBM Ring could remain members without being IBM Members.

This worked out well for a few years. However lately there have been some new members who think it unfair that they have to pay IBM Dues when the grandfathered members who choose not to join the national organization don't. Since many of the non-affiliated members are the movers and shakers in the club there is a movement afoot to disenfranchise form the national organization, disband the ring and become a non affiliated club once again.

Our previous president, who wasn't an IBM Member started making noise that this should be something to consider. And our current president is strongly considering it to silence the dissent of those few IBM members in the club who are complaining about the non members coming to meeting.

We belong to a lecture service that provides us with a half dozen lectures a year. so we don't need affiliation for attracting lecturers. Membership has decreased since we became affiliated with the IBM. Though I don't think that it is because of affiliation. It's just the natural cycle of every club I've ever been in. however it would be a big selling point to tell potential members that the only have to pay the local dues and not be forced to join the national organization. They could belong to either SAM or IBM or neither group and still come to club meetings.

I'm sure the SAM and IBM are fine orgainisations, for those who wish to belong to things like that. They are however not everyone's cup of tea and I see little reason to turn away new members simply because they don't wish to belong to a national orgainisation that they see as being little else than a magazine subscription.
JardiniMagic
View Profile
New user
Scottsdale
72 Posts

Profile of JardiniMagic
You know I have been involved in magic for many years now and have seen many changes, But I remember when I first joined the Sam and IBM both clubs were in North Carolina with the Sam in Jacksonville, NC and the IBM in Willimington NC it was neat! for example to get into the local sam you had to perform 3 effects for the members the same with the IBM I remember taking out the Tarbell and searching for the right effects also each meeting they had various lectures by the club members and talks about different methods used. they did the rituals it was just neat! and when I got my card, cert. from both clubs I very proud! Now days
a lot of clubs just it seems just want to have lectures brought in each and every month. this is a shame as the closness has dimished. but at the age of 60 I again have my Certificates both proudly displayed in my house where people can see them and each time I pass them my heart warms up a little. to some of you yes you can have Just a Card but to me I have pride remembering the Past Teachers of Magic and the New! both cards are Great Conversation Starters and the clubs can be just what you make them out to be I take pride in my cards and enjoy getting with the other Magicians and having fun with our Art. It is sad to see and hear our traditions, rituals, are seemingly losing their place because we are to quick to do things easy now and forgetting our roots in magic and what the clubs represent including the National org. its what you make out of it.
The Magical World of Jardini
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
I am currently neither a member of either SAM or IBM. I let my SAM lapse in Jan of 2013 and the IBM in my area is no longer active, I believe.

I'm typically in total agreement with Shawn, but I have to say he missed the boat with this one. Here you have one new member and others expressing a desire for something different. I know it is difficult to hear criticism, but this really is an opportunity to add a new feature to the IBM membership. Why not offer for sale a new souped up vanity membership card that is hard coated like a credit card, has several cool image options, and allows people customization with their performance names? Ka-Ching!!!

Now when people join, they can chose to get the standard membership card or pay extra for a cool one. Turning lemons into lemonade!
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1773 Posts

Profile of SIX
Does anyone know whom I should contact to set up something for members? I would love to team up with IBM and so they can pass on items to members...Seems I didn't get any response from the S.A.M FB page...so hopefully there is a legit person to contact at IBM.

Thanks!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Call the main number 1-636-724-2400, whomever answers should be able to help, or at least point you in the right direction.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
743 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Contact me SIX ... I can make it happen, I know a guy who's going to be President soon....

-shawn
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
LOL Shawn!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
What gets me is when you sign up for the SAM you can log in right away. With the IBM I have to wait til sometime in July before I can get into the website. Just seems like a let down.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Not to happy with membership (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL