The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sir Patrick Moore has died (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16261 Posts

Profile of tommy
May his spirit rest in the sky. The monocled surveyor of the sky awakened in millions of people an interest in galactic goings on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10525469
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Soon every Lupin in the land will be in his mighty hand...

Oh, wait...that was Dennis.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2012-12-09 18:39, Chessmann wrote:
Soon every Lupin in the land will be in his mighty hand...

Oh, wait...that was Dennis.

:rotf:
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
The news of his passing saddened me as much as Carl Sagan's. These two brilliant men awakened a sense of wonder and true magic about our universe.

If anyone is interested, I found an absolutely astounding program called Space Engine. It is the most amazing astronomical program I have ever experienced. It is free and if your PC meets the specs, you are in for a treat. The imagery is breathtaking and it is humanly impossible to explore the program because it combines the known, observable universe with astronomcal extrapolations of the rest of the universe. It is in version 0.96.2 beta right now with the next update due in January.

I have lost hours and days visiting planets, moons, stars, and galaxies with this. And you don't have to be an astronomy geek to use the program. All you need is a decent PC with a dedicated GPU - Intel integrated graphics will not work on this program - and your imagination.

Here is the link: http://en.spaceengine.org/

It's a one man effort as far as the main engine. Along with others, I will be composing music and ambient planetary effects for this. It's not a plug since it's all free. So check it out! Sir Patrick and Dr. Sagan would have loved this!

Namaste,
Vlad
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I hadn't heard of him until he died. Within minutes of my laughter at Mark's gag, I got notice in an astronomy group that Sir Patrick had died. Apparently he was important to amateur astronomers, but had remained outside of my field of view.
Thanks for the link Vlad. I'll check it out later.

Anyone else have info on Sir Patrick?

john
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
John, on YT you can find his 700th episode of his incredibly long-running show, "The Sky at Night". There's a good article on him at Wikipedia that I read, too.

...and glad you liked my gag! Smile

As a young teenager I got a pretty good reflector for Christmas, and spent lots of time out looking. Still have it. As my kids grew up I showed them Mars, Venus, Jupiter, Saturn and rings, etc... Great and fascinating hobby.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16261 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sir Patrick Moore has died (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL