The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Matt Mello - Nameless (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
GordonTheHypnotist
View Profile
Elite user
Don't Read This Sign
495 Posts

Profile of GordonTheHypnotist
Quote:
On 2012-12-18 15:52, 1KJ wrote:
I have this download. I'm sorry to be contrary here, but even though the cost isn't very high, this really should have been a side note to something with more substance. I can't imagine this being any sort of "aha" moment for anyone paying for this. I am usually very generous in my opinions on the forum because I feel like just because something isn't my style, I shouldn't criticize it if there is something substantive to be learned or gained by someone. However, in my opinion, it's not that this is not my style, it's that this just isn't strong enough of an idea to stand on it's own. Obviously, I won't give away the "secret", but I really don't think there is much of a "secret" to give away here. It's like someone saying they have the key to improving your breathing and then telling you to try opening your mouth as you breath. Sorry again, but I just can't recommend this.

I understand what you mean but if you read Matt's first entry up at the top he says "this is not an effect its a subtlety". I can assure you it does work as a subtlety. It is not a gut buster how did he do that moment but a you are pretty cheeky/ clever moment. You may even get busted, I would say 50% or less of the time, but even if you get busted its just a playful moment and you are moving into something more magical in the next beat. In Matt's case a center tear routine. If you get busted, you say something like "I just wanted to make sure you are paying attention" and then move on. Also this is not a stand alone piece it is part of a manuscript that Matt is now selling called State of Mind. There are some us who have purchased all the effects in State of Mind separately for $5 to $15 dollars a piece. So, it would not be right for Matt not to offer this on its own. For some this may be one of those throw effects that seem to come in every magic book that is a clever idea but not for everybody, but I think for some it does hold merit and is a worthy albeit simple edition to Matt's magical offerings.
Gullibility is an attractive quality in people
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
If you don't get it, don't get it. If you've ever read Cassidy's Side Effects you'll understand the true power of Nameless. And I think Gordon is offering a lot of wisdom.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I understand it is a sublety, not an effect. I just think it lacks original thought nor does it merit selling on it's own. I thought I was getting something new or unique and instead it was like readin a manuscrpt on how to walk by putting one foot in front of the other. If others have a different opinion, that is fine.
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Gotta love when people make comments as if they've actually taken this out and used it over and over like I have. Clearly most read this, and then simply decided not to test it...so we can definitely trust your opinion! I used to use this ALL OF THE TIME in my restaurant gigs, and it always played nicely in my set...as a SIDE-EFFECT! I would use it directly after a billet tear, and I was convincing of the "situation". Say it sincerely and apologetically, and there's no reason for them not to believe you!

Again, this isn't meant to kill the spectator, but further show how you utilize your "skills" to get yourself out of a jam which ACTUALLY OCCURS often! Everyone has had it happen to them and can relate! I can't tell you how many times I've said the script and heard back, "Don't worry...that happens to me all the time!" But right, I forgot that all magicians are geniuses, and would never find themselves in the "Nameless" situation!

Matt
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Hey Matt,
Just remember “Brilliant spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.”
You just keep doin what yer doin Brother. You F!?%$&@ rock.
James

Quote:
On 2012-12-27 05:33, matthewmello wrote:
Gotta love when people make comments as if they've actually taken this out and used it over and over like I have. Clearly most read this, and then simply decided not to test it...so we can definitely trust your opinion! I used to use this ALL OF THE TIME in my restaurant gigs, and it always played nicely in my set...as a SIDE-EFFECT! I would use it directly after a billet tear, and I was convincing of the "situation". Say it sincerely and apologetically, and there's no reason for them not to believe you!

Again, this isn't meant to kill the spectator, but further show how you utilize your "skills" to get yourself out of a jam which ACTUALLY OCCURS often! Everyone has had it happen to them and can relate! I can't tell you how many times I've said the script and heard back, "Don't worry...that happens to me all the time!" But right, I forgot that all magicians are geniuses, and would never find themselves in the "Nameless" situation!

Matt
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
[quote]On 2012-12-27 08:30, Xiqual wrote:
Hey Matt,
Just remember “Brilliant spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.”
You just keep doin what yer doin Brother. You F!?%$&@ rock.
James

[quote]

I had never heard it out quite that way, but it's so true. Thanks for posting that, Xiqual.

I don't have this, but have a couple of other of Matt's releases and I happen to think he's a brilliant creator. He does rock!
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Thank you, guys! Appreciate it!
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Would this work to help in the MOABT?
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Hey Paul,

I don't have the original MOABT, but I just picked up Glance and love it! Sadly, my subtlety wouldn't apply.

Nameless is taking advantage of a situation that naturally occurs, which you force to happen. It produces it's own small, contained moment, which really works best between other effects--particularly after a center tear or some other type of letter-by-letter reveal.

Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Matt Mello - Nameless (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL