The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » FAX by Loki Kross (388 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19~20~21~22 [Next]
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Loki is a heck of a nice man - never at a loss for words either - a real giver.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Magicmagician83
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Magicmagician83
Got this today and my first thought was, REALLY?!!!! WTF???!!!!! Not because the method was so out of the box and over my head but because of how simple and bold it is. Not to mention the camera guy could do it! My second thought was, do I have the guts to actually try this? And finally, is this going to fool my mom? The answer to that third one is Yea maybe if she is not wearing her glasses. And if I practice.

Will this fool your standard lay person who generally signs their name different each time? If you practice, you better freakin believe it. Even on my tiny screen when Loki shows the method to the camera man, I had trouble doing what the camera man was doing. (You have to see the dvd to get that) now on to the honest review.

I was disapointed at first and jumped the gun and gave a bad review on penguin. Truth is now that I think about it, this is pretty freakin awesome. I was just disapointed it did not use a gaff, or a device, I expected an impression device. What is cool about this is that it is all you! YOU do this! Deck. Sharpie. That's ALL! sure you have to prepare the deck but let me say this. No chemicals, no rough and smooth, no indexes, no duplicate sharpies, no dry marker effect, no threads, mirrors, magnets, wires, trap doors, or other such nonsense. A gimmick? If you want to call the way the deck is setup a gimmick then go right ahead but a gimmick in the traditional sense is not used.

How hard is it? Give it the practice it desserves. Get a friend, do what he does on the dvd, and within no less than a few days you will have it pretty well. Want to do it like Loki? Practice several weeks maybe even longer. Get many friends and use them, the more and different the better.

Practical? I have never seen an effect like this before. The method once learned and perfected is as practical if not more practical than a D.L.

Will it work? Yes it will if you practice it enough.

Ok, so by now you have heard people say practice a lot with this one. Where as you should not do any trick you do not practice, why do we stress to do so even more with this one. I am going to liken this to caligraphy. Or better yet speed caligraphy. You want to get this method down to the point where you can do it so quick and so perfectly you don't even have to think about it. That's all that I mean when I say preactice this. Does it have to be perfect? No but the better it is the better the effect.

So, this is so simple you may be disapointed. But practice it, do it, and see what happens. The main trick is the ambitious card but there is so much more. Use this.
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1338 Posts

Profile of bond19
I believe you just tipped the method in your review. If it is what I think it is. Of course, I could be way wrong. That, combined with the product name has lead me to my conclusion.

I will pick this up, for not for a while yet.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Lol I agree with bond19 !
For me the best part of the review is : "I was just disapointed it did not use a gaff, or a device, I expected an impression device."
You made my day magician! lol
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Libertus
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Libertus
Quote:
On 2013-01-22 13:55, r99h wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-01-21 11:51, Libertus wrote:
So, anyway, I did the ACR and FAX to my brother. And at the end, he said they both looked completely
same to him. The second person I did this to was my neighbour. She, however, asked if she could put
the cards back in (as shown in FAX). However, apart from that, she still gave the same reaction to FAX
as she did to the ACR.

This just comes to show that to laymen, both routines may work just as well as the other. I personally
would stick to an ACR, but however, if you really want to make yourself "clean", then you can go with
routines using FAX where the spectator does all the work. After all, if THEY do it, then who is to complain?

Would I use this in the working world? Probably not, and that is because I can do the ACR just as fine.

There are lots of ideas for routines and that is what makes this an amazing effect. The ideas are limitless. And yet the concept is very simple, and at the same time, it creates strong reactions.

I won't be using this because this just doesn't suit my style. I prefer to just do an ACR as I am confident
the results will be pretty much the same as doing FAX.

Thanks for the review, Libertus, but I'm confused. You mentioned that Fax can be used for a lot routines, but won't be using it because you can do an ACR to your satisfaction. Do you not see other routines, effects, situations, etc. where you might use Fax? Or would you only use it for a spectator-centred ACR?

Rich

Hey,

Good question. I think the main effect of FAX is basically the ACR type routine.

However, there are plenty of other effects you can do with FAX (such as the one I showed
in the video link above in my review).

However, I just don't think it suits my style of magic and what I do, but like I said,
if you have the patience to practice, this could be a gem for you.
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
An Undying Heart of Chaos; Stabbed with
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Hey guys!
I have been at Magi-fest and away from the computer.

Thank you for the review magicmagician83. Smile
I am glad it has grown on you!

Also, I think the tips/thoughts you gave were solid. You."get" this.
As far as exposing the method. I think people still think this is about dupes.
So "speed calligraphy" is probably misleading.

I have the handwriting skills of a 90 year old doctor. Lol.
If that is how you "percieve" this, you may want to take some time to work on the logic trap.
You will see THAT is the real work here.

As for the ACR being the main effect. It was just the easiest way to demo the skill.
People are saying "fax" tips the method. It does. But not in the way people are thinking.

The original effect was a pure, double checked, 2 person, signed transpo.
So "fax" was a reference to "transmission", like a fax does.

Thus. This is THE work on pure transpos and impossible locations.
Even a hands off ACR is an impossible location effect. Technically.

I was sharing tips on this with Garrett Thomas and Eric Jones.
Neither of them plan on doing the ACR.
They see it as a tool to make various presentations possible.
And I completely agree.

The keywords I gave should steer everyone towards more amazing effects with this.
As many have pointed out, this is only limited by your imagination.

Use the symbol trap, and be sure to read the pdf on the dvd.
There are some real tips there. (Making it impromptu, spec selection, extra ideas, and extra prop ideas.)

Hope that helps! I want to get everyone on track with what this truly is, without giving too much away.
Nonetheless, this method and the ways to get it to work properly would take about 7-10 full pages on here.
Or a 40 minute video done in verbatim to what I said.

I'm sure people have an idea of what this is anymore.
Or are under an assumption of something inferior. (Dupes. Lol)
But it will not work without the logic trap, and subtleties.

I'm sure many will agree with this statement, as I am not the first to say it.

Have fun creating!
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Hey guys!
I have been at Magi-fest and away from the computer.

Thank you for the review magicmagician83. Smile
I am glad it has grown on you!

Also, I think the tips/thoughts you gave were solid. You."get" this.
As far as exposing the method. I think people still think this is about dupes.
So "speed calligraphy" is probably misleading.

I have the handwriting skills of a 90 year old doctor. Lol.
If that is how you "percieve" this, you may want to take some time to work on the logic trap.
You will see THAT is the real work here.

As for the ACR being the main effect. It was just the easiest way to demo the skill.
People are saying "fax" tips the method. It does. But not in the way people are thinking.

The original effect was a pure, double checked, 2 person, signed transpo.
So "fax" was a reference to "transmission", like a fax does.

Thus. This is THE work on pure transpos and impossible locations.
Even a hands off ACR is an impossible location effect. Technically.

I was sharing tips on this with Garrett Thomas and Eric Jones.
Neither of them plan on doing the ACR.
They see it as a tool to make various presentations possible.
And I completely agree.

The keywords I gave should steer everyone towards more amazing effects with this.
As many have pointed out, this is only limited by your imagination.

Use the symbol trap, and be sure to read the pdf on the dvd.
There are some real tips there. (Making it impromptu, spec selection, extra ideas, and extra prop ideas.)

Hope that helps! I want to get everyone on track with what this truly is, without giving too much away.
Nonetheless, this method and the ways to get it to work properly would take about 7-10 full pages on here.
Or a 40 minute video done in verbatim to what I said.

I'm sure people have an idea of what this is anymore.
Or are under an assumption of something inferior. (Dupes. Lol)
But it will not work without the logic trap, and subtleties.

I'm sure many will agree with this statement, as I am not the first to say it.

Have fun creating!
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Lol. Sorry for double post. Phones Smile
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Thanks Loki for this idea and the DVD, I am experimenting with Fax and the UCCU where an impossible location becomes really, really impossible.

I think even if someone has an inkling about how this works they are definitely going to want the DVD to understand all the subtleties and details and routing ideas.
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Thank You Bill!

Your idea sure would make for a super clean Impossible Location, and fast too!
If you added a f***h Th***t** the whole transposition would seem just like one would expect from a movie. Smile
Like you reall "beamed" it there. And it helps with the UCCU Smile
Not that it needs it Smile

I would like to say that MY personal intention of working this methodology so long was to remove the need for much else.
I used to really work Ultracinese and you can imagine what that was like.
Especially if you are running 2 Smile

I did want to share a short experience that will address the "I can do this with sleights" comments Smile
I have a fantastic friend in magic by the name of Christopher Rose. Now Chris is only 22 and has been killing it in magic for 10 years.
(Magic Magazine article, Teller's current card consultant on a project with J. Thompson, works with Paul Vigil in his show, ect.)

He was a great help in my production of "The Rules Do Not Apply Here". So he knows ALL about this, more than I divulged in FAX.
And after about a year he said he could do my effects, (around 12), with just sleight of hand.

I watched, and we compared. His hands moved in a weird way to pull off a new method he created. He was actually using his hands. The Spatial/Time difference made it always suspicious, and some could just not be done.
In the end, like others as well, he stopped. He knew better, he just wanted the challenge.

Eric Jones, and Garrett Thomas were doing some coin work with me this weekend, and they love FAX. They "get it", and see NO reason for change, only greater routines.
In the far future, (maybe months, maybe a year or two), I will release my "James Bond Q Gadget", and other effects I have for this, including the effects created by some really great creators. Garret was really enjoying the way I could get "4 ahead" with this Smile

Anyways, thank you for the responses everyone!
And anyone who thinks they could easily replicate the power of these effects, with just sleights; be my guest.
And please, post us links!
You will be going up against better sleight of hand artists than I, and they could not.
Looking forward to the vids!

LokI
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Loki I have been doing sleight of hand for 30 years. I am unknown to most of you by design. I have always been more focused on entertaining laymen than fooling magicians. I can honestly say that card, coin or whatever to impossible location can often be done with sleights BUT WITH NOWHERE THE IMPACT OF THIS!

I used to end my ambitious routine with signed card to wallet openly pa**ing the card for the final load. NOW my wallet sits on the table from very early in the routine under a spectators hand. At the end of the routine the spectator places "their" card into the deck then puts the deck into the card box which goes in my pocket. Most spectators believe that the wallet was on the table before the trick even began.

The second spectator is asked to lift their hand from the wallet and the signed card is openly and fairly produced.... This is POWERFUL to lay people.

I have on occasion been asked to see the deck so I produce a d******te deck ending clean.

I simply believe that the effect cannot be duplicated this directly with pure sleight of hand. the result might be similar but looses some of the power.

BTW the MWI routine alone is devestating. Fax is a valuable principal and one of my best purchases in several years.
Owner of Handcrafted Miracles, San Diego
www.handcraftedmiracles.com

See our items and like us on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/handcraftedmiracles
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Good points Dannicus!
Thank you for evaluating this with regards to your many years of experience.

And I personally think the ctw you are describing sounds killer!

I WILL be giving it a go!

Thank you for sharing a really cool routine idea with the rest of us!
"Magicians helping Magicians". I am proud it has some meaning in this forum.

A very pleased,
LokI Smile
Magicmagician83
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Magicmagician83
What is the running time of the DVD?
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
It is 104 minutes, I believe.
With a 10 page pdf.

I will be making an announcement soon regarding a more in depth lecture pdf with more of everything.
Effects. The logic tree. And some secret tidbits Smile

I will have them with my personal lecture copies, but will most likely do a Café exclusive like I did with "PMI", so everyone that owns this gets this extra knowledge.

It will cover more of the impossible locations and other ruses I use to make more complicated effects work with this.
. Including a sneak peek at a system I use that not only is a different great effect, but it sets the FAX system up in a way you will have to check out.

I will have more details in the next few days.
LokI
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Looking forward to it sir!
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Hi Everyone!

The Lecture Notes are finished.

It is called "The Velvet Expanse".

It is 26 pages, and over 5,000 words.

I tried to keep it as simple to follow as possible Smile

In it you will find:

1. A new forward, with new information. Which will make a distinction very clear, this is the highly psychological, dark/gray side to these skills.

2. Some History of the development, and how this became what it is. Also a section on Confidence.

3. Some "light" that could not be shed before, will now be shed on the subject; allowing for easier access to this skill.

4. An entire section on how the Spectator's Logic works within the context of this skill, and how to re-arrange, and manipulate that logic into belief is included.

( A SPECIAL Thanks to Jerome Finley for making me feel comfortable in sharing some of this information. Much Love!)

5. Because of the prior, there will be a small section on the power that comes with Taking Someone's Reality and Delivering Them Into Your Own. (Dangerous, use nicely Smile )

6. I will cover the 4 Archetypes of thought process and approach to this skill.

7. Finally I will leave you with a MONSTER effect. Some discussion on other applications. And some other effect ideas, including combinations you may, or may not have thought of. (Bill Appleton Smile )

8. AS well, I will be sure to leave cryptic tidbits about other ideas I have closely guarded, and used frequently, to play in and out of this. Smile
(Which may, or may not be available to my colleagues soon Smile )

Hopefully within all of these Lecture Notes you will find Anything You are Looking for!

It is Always a great Joy to Share with all of You,
LokI

PS. It would be helpful if someone started a new thread on "The Velvet Expanse". It is an addition, and the culmination of FAX, but it does takes this to a MUCH deeper place. It would be best to have the types of discussions I can forecast arising, in two different threads. That will help those who are looking for certain feedback to be able to address the right area of concentrated discussion.

(Notes will be deposited within your accounts at Penguin, If you received them from me. Email me.)
(Please give a week to sort this all out. It will most likely be sooner)
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Looks like I am going to get Fax now.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Penguin has made the lecture notes available to ALL FAX owners in Their accounts!

To discuss the more psychological aspect "The Velvet Expanse" brings to this skill, Dannicus has kindly made a thread about it!

Looking forward to all the amazing ideas I AM SURE my fellow colleagues will have to share!

There is some really strong psychological concepts in there. My good friend Jerome Finley inspired me to create this.

Here is the link to the other thread, Thank's Dannicus!

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=0#2

And Thank You, to everyone else!
LokI
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
MBrooks3906 was kind enough to post this on the other thread:

"Go MY PENGUIN MAGIC and scroll down to FAX. Click on LEARN and it will show up as a .pdf file.
I downloaded mine yesterday.

MB"

If anyone was having trouble finding it.
I have received a few e-mails though, so I thought I would share Smile

LokI
Joemv
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Joemv
Hi Loki, first I would like to thank you for the added PDF file The Velvet Expanse. Some great input and info. A quick question. Do you feel there is less impact if we just ask for the signature of their first name and just the initial of their last name? Thank you again for your magical creativity.

Joe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » FAX by Loki Kross (388 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19~20~21~22 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL