We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Knife Through Coat Question ? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3087 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Hello anyone have any insight on the better of the Knife through coat routine on the Market ? The dick Barry knife looks nice ! I am interested in learning this routine best knife gimmick etc ..
Thanks,
Jeffrey
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thus far all the Knife Thru Coat tricks on the market are pretty much the same. There is a close-up version that does not use any gimmicks with only a pocket knife. Then there is older stage version that uses duplicate knives. In recent years, the magnetic knife has been invented.

I really can't say which would be the best, as the routine makes the trick, and as stated, all the routines are exactly alike in handling and movements of the performer.

All the versions takes some guts to perform. The best Knife Through Coat I have run across in my opinion is the late Bob Read's Knife Thru Coat manuscript, it uses an ordinary knife and has added comedy bits that make it a real entertainment piece.

Dave Powell just re-issued his version of the Sam Berland Knife Thru Coat using duplicate knives.

All the versions have some 'draw back' when it comes to the knife. This is more a cosmetic look of the knife. A Japanese version is very nice, but it uses what we would call a letter opener more then a knife.

I guess it all depends if you are looking for a close-up version or a stage version.

Richard Osterlind has come out with a close-up version that uses the Harrison gimmick and a pocket knife.

The late Jay Marshall had a no gimmick version that came with the Christian Click Blade Knife. I see they still have the Click Blade Knife at Magic Inc., but is does not say if it still comes with the Jay Marshall routine.

My vote is for the late Bob Read version using an ordinary knife because of the comedy value in the routine. Yes - he even has the tearing of the fabric in his presentation.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3087 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Hello bill Thanks for your insight I do like the Dave Powell Knife looks more like a larger knife .
Paul Gross
View Profile
Special user
574 Posts

Profile of Paul Gross
Hello,

Check out our Lookin Sharp Knife Thru Coat. Only one knife is used and the handling is far better in my opinion....

Best regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Best Regards,

Paul Gross

Owner

http://www.hocus-pocus.com
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3087 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Okay thanks Paul I will head over to your site & check it out .
suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
493 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
Thought I'd bring this topic back to life.

An argument against technology
oR Why I won’t be buying a gimmick for Knife through Coat

I recently decided AGAINST buying a Knife through Coat gimmick after watching the videos and deciding they all look AMAZING. I was especially excited about the ones that allow you to show the blade in the front/handle in the back without any cover. Just awesome.
But something didn’t feel right. Then I remembered a review of a cruise ship Illusion show from the internet. I’m paraphrasing but it read something like,

“ We were both very excited for the magic show but within a couple of minutes we realized that with each routine, the box or piece of apparatus rolled onstage was specifically designed to create the illusion being described for example being cut in half, floating, disappearing, etc. We were very disappointed.”
I remember laughing out loud. What had this couple expected to see? But looking at the thinking about the knife demos I was considering buying I realized I was falling into the same trap.
The audience knows I am not planning on ACTUALLY sticking a knife through the back of the volunteer’s jacket, that would just be vandalism. So right away they are looking for how you are going to cleverly create that illusion. With most of the slight of hand solutions, the strongest moment is the visual illusion of the flat paper pressed against the jacket cloth. The ease with which you handle the paper and the flatness of it against the fabric send the messages “nothing here”. The surprise of the blade, appearing suddenly perpendicular to the paper while simultaneously ripping the paper creates the illusion of penetration.
Now if you are using a gimmicked knife, the next step is to display the knife, front and back, hanging off the coat. But we the audience KNOW you haven’t done that, so when you show it to us (whether or not we can figure out how it works ) we leap to the conclusion “ That is one SPECIAL KNIFE!”.
Once you’ve shown them the front and back, all emphasis goes to watching the knife with the hopes of seeing or deriving logically how it works. There are only a couple of answers.
The beauty of the sleight of hand version is it defies the audience’s basic expectation that if the magician tries to move something as big as a knife from one place to another, “We will see it.” Once it appears in the hole in the paper, the magician is truly in the advantageous position of having very NOTHING to hide. This allows all the performer’s focus to be solely on selling the effect and milking the response.
My plan is to conclude the effect by giving the knife away to the volunteer, further proving my point that it’s no more then it seems to be.
I would love to hear other people’s thoughts.
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
434 Posts

Profile of kris attard
The Knife Through Coat was a staple part of my cabaret act for many years. for some reason I never gravitated towards technical versions, but prefer to use ordinary props and a misdirection method slightly related to the one used by the late Bob Read. I would heartily recommend this. By learning it this way, you will have a stage filling feature available to you at a moment's notice anywhere you can borrow a good pointed knife.
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
843 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
One of the best routines I seen performed of knife through coat(Target)with no gimmick was by Wayne Dobson so entertaining and comical With his ventriloquism so funny. He was a World class magical entertainer. here's a video clip of wayne on the Joe longthorn show.late 80's early 90's performing Target. If you want to skip the beginning, the Target routine starts from 2.05 mins. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45MgSjH5-A4

Graham
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3087 Posts

Profile of tophatter
The Best ever ! so entertaining ...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Knife Through Coat Question ? (2 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL