The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » New to Hypnosis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LanceMa
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of LanceMa
Hello.
A few days ago I started to learn this trick done by Derren Brown (but also by many other people) known as the "stuck hand" where someone's hand is stuck to a table. I learned what you need to do buy my problem is that I don't know how to train.
Should I practice on friends or familiy? And if it doesn't work, how can I improve or fix the mistakes?
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
I´ll try to save you some time. - I "suggest" you start by learning a bit about hypnosis.

Your options include:

1) Reading this forum from start to finish - there are nuggets of gold here, but you will have to separate the wheat from the chaff. The bonus is that it is free to read.

2) Start with a book. I´d recommend Anthony Jacquin´s "Reality is Plastic" (with accompanying inductions DVD). It is the best option I have encountered for beginners and will not cost you a fortune.

3) Buy a DVD course - Mr. Jacquin also has video courses (Trilby connection, Manchurian approach etc) for what seems like a reasonable price (roughly £80). There are no doubt other video courses out there, but most I have encountered are astronomically more expensive.

4) Go to live training - This is probably the fastest way to kick start your learning. It will more than likely also be the most expensive, costing you over £500 for a weekend.

How fast do you want to get started?
How much money do you want to (or can you afford to) spend?

Whatever option you decide on, you must practice. You can absorb ideas (learn about something) by reading a book, or watching a performance or video, but practice is where you really learn "how to do something" (in my opinion).
For best results, avoid famiy and friends who do not know you as a hypnotist, at least to start off with Smile

P.S. I am not affilliated in any way with Mr. Jacquin.
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
LanceMa, there is something you might like to consider...

Most laypeople's ideas of what hypnosis is are unrealistic, based on movies and TV shows or novels and comic books where a fantasized idea of hypnosis is created as a plot point rather than an accurate representation of hypnosis.

Mr. Brown is an entertainer first and foremost. So are many stage hypnotists, but if you were going to be on TV, would you show your successes or your failures? Further, many of the demonstrations given by Mr. Brown give the appearance of hypnosis or other paranormal abilities, it is not necessarily so.

I believe it was Robert-Houdin who said that a magician is an actor playing the role of a real magician. Likewise, Brown plays the role of a person who has these abilities even when he uses tricks to achieve them. In other words, although the effects he produces MAY be achievable via the methods he publicly claims, the actual modus operandi may be different.

The stuck hands you mentioned is certainly possible via hypnosis. Question: how many people did he try this with before he was successful? Two? Ten? 100? How do you know the person he worked with wasn't a stooge? I'm not suggesting either WAS the case, only that we have no way of knowing.

Learning hypnosis can be very powerful and there are several performers who can entertain using just this skill. If you want to learn it (and I strongly encourage anyone to do so), I would suggest two things:

1) Hypnosis is a skill, and like all skills is best learned by in-person training. Trainings show you HOW.
2) Books, videos, and audios are excellent additions to what you learn in trainings. These things teach you ABOUT.
tarwe
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of tarwe
Like you, LanceMa, I'm very new to learning hypnosis and waking suggestion. I've been reading as much as I can on-line and have been studying an instruction book I bought. I'm trying to learn how it works, why it works and how I can get it to work. It's been a lot of fun so far.

And like you - not sure how to find people to practice on. I've been using my wife and have a couple of friends I'm going to work on as well. They are two friends I know who are open to the idea and would probably enjoy helping out. Tomorrow I hope we will all have some fun trying some of the things I've learned so far with them. If they're all willing, of course.

I've noticed so far with my wife - some things work very well, some things will not work at all. As soon as I mention falling over, she'll do it in any direction I ask it seems, before I even get into it. I've got her to lock her hands together fairly well, also to stick her hand on the table. I've tried several times to lock her arm stiff, it will not work, nor will keeping her mouth shut or open. She started laughing on those ones (will have to try it on my male friends tomorrow, if other things go well, I am wondering about how they will respond and what to learn from the experience).

I've also tried to induce her 3 times. The second time, nothing happened. The first and third time - not sure what happened, neither is she. The third time (last night) her head dropped like a ton of bricks to her chest at the last suggestion of "sleep" and I was quite surprised (if not a little worried, to tell the truth). Both times I woke her up (right afterwards), she was in a very happy, easy-going mood, not sure what happened, if anything. But she likes the idea and is very willing to have fun while we learn (I learn to do the hypnosis/suggestions, she learns how to relax and focus on what I say).

I plan to induce her more (and then go a little further, as I learn more), and hope to do the same with a couple of willing friends after a while. I'm very new to it, of course. But a few successes have made me a bit more confident, and if I find my friends open and willing tomorrow, I plan to have a nice time. Find some people who will behave and want to have some fun (not a "battle-of-the-wills" type people) is the way I'm going to go.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
The last two posts here are both excellent for various reasons.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Thanks for the recommendation dmkraig.

I also suggest you check our free lessons online Lancema
http://www.youtube.com/how2hypnotise

They will give you a clearer understanding of my approach.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2012-12-12 16:37, tarwe wrote:

And like you - not sure how to find people to practice on. I've been using my wife and have a couple of friends I'm going to work on as well. They are two friends I know who are open to the idea and would probably enjoy helping out. Tomorrow I hope we will all have some fun trying some of the things I've learned so far with them. If they're all willing, of course.

I've noticed so far with my wife - some things work very well, some things will not work at all.

One of the great advantages of taking in-person training in a class is that you will have a group of people who are open to working with you.

As Anthony has written, you have to act as THE HYPNOTIST. But it's not just thinking yourself to be THE HYPNOTIST, the people you are working with also need to think of you that way. In a class, nobody knows you other than as another THE HYPNOTIST like them. When working with family and friends they know you as the husband or the friend, and not as THE HYPNOTIST. This can make practicing with them more challenging. In fact, in many instances trying to hypnotize family or friends can be more difficult that working with someone who doesn't know you.
tarwe
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of tarwe
Thanks for the advice and information. I hope I'm not going to go too off topic here (but it does still pertain to finding people to work with as I begin, so hope LanceMa, the OP, doesn't mind - as we are in the same type of situation, as I read from the original post).

In-person training sounds like a great way to learn this, and am going to look and see what's available in the area the coming few months (will have to see how much things are, of course). Getting actual instruction in real-life would be great, at some point. It's fascinating, wished I would have learned about it much earlier.

I've left my wife alone the past few days and tried a few things out with one of my friends last night. Was really wondering how it would go, and chose the one I thought would be easiest and most cooperative. Didn't do much, got him to fall backwards and then forewards and locked his hands together. It went well, I was happily surprised.

The funniest thing was - the reaction of the other guy watching it. He was amazed, I really didn't expect such a powerful response. Wondering if it will be a kind of advantage when I am able to try some things with him next time. Looking foreward to it, at any rate, had a great time and can't wait to try again.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20374 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Once you are ready to move along past sticking individual hands to stuff here is my suggestion.

Have a party. But the people you invite will be a group of your friends friends. People who are steangers to you. Tell them EXACTLY why they are being invited. As subjects and then continue with the partt after.

These people will not know you and will have the proper expectation necessary to practice on them.

Don't do this till you are ready but trust me it is the best way to gain valuable experience.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tarwe
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of tarwe
Thanks for the the idea - it sounds really good.

Not sure when I'll get over the sticking-hands/falling-over type things... (I'm really very new to it all...). Your idea would give a person a good type of people to work with - if they come, they're willing (and then have a party and meet some new people - can't lose, really Smile ). Simple, sounds like a great idea.

Things like the waking tests, though - they remain a useful thing to do, as steps towards induction? Like workig with new people - do a few tests, build momentum, and build up towards induction? These things will always be useful, I think?

Kind of like having an itch you can't scratch - it's hard not to think about it and I can't wait to try it again. I must entrance my wife properly, and the other two friends I'm working with, and then I will try your idea - which I look foreward to, great oppertunity.
renzo75
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of renzo75
Hey LanceMa,

A bit like yourself, I'm relatively new to hypnosis...
I recently attended the Trilby Connection course in Sydney and it just blew my mind... IMHO, you NEED to attend a live training to get the techniques and subtleties down pat, and having an experienced trainer show you the ropes is the best way to do it.

Just do it... I hated those words with a passion, but just do it or you'll never know...
Fall off your bike a few times, you get back on till you mastered it... same thing.. just do it

I've read nearly every book on hypnosis, and basically helped Head Hacking stay afloat by buying all of their stuff (lol) but the best thing by far is train live...
I regularly (as much as I can) catchup with a Perth Hypnotist here, who is just awesome, and it helps... every little bit you pickup from these guys help, and don't be afraid to ask them questions.
I've hypnotised 3-4 people since the course (at a pub with friends) and the best way I found to approach them (apart from the PUA CIQ technique) is to show them a magic trick (I've got about 4 that I can do flawlessly) and use that as an intro...
The funniest story is giving 2 friends a demo of how powerful their mind is... One of them, it worked great but they opened their eyes towards the end.. I just went along with it saying "See.. your hands did lift and lock together, and now, you've chosen to stop and appreciate what your mind can do."... (not bad for quick thinking!)
The 2nd guy's hands did not move at all (heavy/ light test)... the weird bit? The first guy was actually having a go at the 2nd guy saying "You are trying to analyse it too much.. you're not letting your mind relax enough".... wow... I just sat back and let them discuss it Smile

So after that LOooooooooong rant, my standard now, is 1) CIQ (google it - easier) 2) Magic trick (impromptu one - eg: Control - Wayne Houchin) and 3) Hypnosis...

I call my new hypnosis model, the Spider model! (c) me at some stage Smile

If I'm ever afraid of trying to hypnotise people and show them a trick, I think "What's the worst that can happen!"... I can stuff up a trick, and move on... I can do a few set pieces with them, and if I don't get any hand sticks or laughter, I'll leave it at that...

There is no need to do a full blown, show stopping routine... even just a few basics, to get the confidence up. will amaze people..

Hope I've helped...
If not, sorry for those 2 minutes of your life you'll never reclaim Smile <pending the Mayan Apocalypse, I'm reeaaallly sorry!> Smile

Regards,
Renzo.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Hi Renzo,

It was great to meet you and see you achieve your goal in Sydney! And see you experience your own reality melting too.

Glad to hear things are going well.

Have a great Christmas.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Anyone know what the "CIQ" mentioned above by Renzo75 refers to? (I PM'd him a few days ago, but he hasn't checked the message.) And Google's not helping me.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
A technique from Pick-up Artistry: Compliment, introduction, question.
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Just got Renzo's helpful message. Thanks, Renzo. And quicknotist.
RSteele
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of RSteele
Great info thanks!
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2012-12-17 20:51, renzo75 wrote:
... IMHO, you NEED to attend a live training to get the techniques and subtleties down pat, and having an experienced trainer show you the ropes is the best way to do it.

I've read nearly every book on hypnosis,

I agree with you about going to a live training.

I personally own about 500 books on hypnosis. There are thousands more. And you've read nearly everyone one? Respectfully, I don't think so.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » New to Hypnosis (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL