The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Very Cheap Sound System for Small Shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SleepNow
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of SleepNow
This Sunday's CVS flier has an ad in it for a four speaker, iCraig speaker tower that looks interesting. I didn't buy one of these but I did look at it (in the box) at CVS. Here's the deal. It works with an iPad, iPhone, or iPod. It includes an Infra-Red Remote. Charges while in use, so I guess it runs on batteries as well as AC. All my phones and tablets are Android. If I had Apple stuff, I would consider buying this. My guess is you could add show cues to this for a very inexpensive system. The price? On sale for $59.99 at CVS pharmacy. This could be nice for someone just getting started. iCraig tower speaker with FM radio, $59.99 Here is a CVS link: http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/i......d=887365

This is a sale flyer so the site could be taken down by the time you read this.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've even seen a $20 boombox with an MP3 input at Big Lots. A tower might be a little hard to put in place at some homes. Somehow, I think there's a reason that CVS is selling it, rather than a reputable electronics retailer. CVS will sell any piece of cheap crap. I once bought a travel alarm there that was held together with Post-It Note glue.
SleepNow
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of SleepNow
I am a little sorry I posted this. I had read one description that it was 40 watts. But, the ad says 20 watts total (not enough power). The only reason I posted this is because it has an I/R Remote with it. After I posted this I saw a review on youtube. Some 15 year old kid bought one and complained it was junky and poor sound quality and he was taking it back the next day. It would be kind of long to put in a car, about 3 feet high, but, it would only take up about one square foot when set up. The newer ones have a longer cut-out at the top to hold an iPad. It has the connector to directly plug in the iPhone, iPod, or iPad and control by I/R remote. You can plug an MP3 player in using an 1/8" stereo plug, but, you would most likely not be able to control it with the remote. That is why I thought it might be interesting to someone with an iPhone. I re-read the description, it looks like the charger is for charging the iDevice not the unit itself. Still, 4 speakers and a sub woofer, I/R remote, AUX in and out for $59.99 could be worth a try. I guess it could be returned. That is what the 15 year old was going to do.
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Don't be sorry for posting this SleepNow. Readers quite often give good feedback.
SleepNow
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of SleepNow
Thank you Wandboy. I meant, I was sorry that I didn't know more about this when I posted it. I just saw it at the CVS store and it caught my eye. I thought, hey I wonder if anybody with an iPad could use this in a small show. My main reason for posting it was the I/R remote and $59.99 price. You probably couldn't find remote control much cheaper than that! I would guess it would be cheap at that price. I don't think 20 watts total is enough though. They must have a similar unit that is 40 watts because I read a description of an iCraig tower with 40 watts. After watching a couple youtube videos about this, I probably would not buy it either. If it was 40 watts, that would be closer to the power output of the Happie Amp. When I read that this unit is a total of 20 watts, that is when I was sorry I posted it. It kind of looked better at first glance. I don't have Apple products so I would not have bought it for myself anyway.

I sometimes pitch products at fairs and flea markets. When I first saw this I thought it might make a nice pitch booth sound system. If I did buy it, that is what I would use it for. In a pitch booth you don't want the sound too loud anyway or the vendors in the booths around you would all complain to the office.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Pignose amps are pretty reasonable.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Very Cheap Sound System for Small Shows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL