The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Reviewers for TIBPS (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
aalexander
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of aalexander
Sealegs: Very fair question. I have been burned by Magic Café hype before, so I'll try to be really straightforward and give my take on what you're getting, the pros and the cons.

The method is a switch of predictions that looks 100% legit and happens in full view of everyone during the climax when everyone is staring at the prediction. It is surprisingly easy to pull off.

Pros have been discussed quite a bit in reviews and don't need to repeat them. Personally my biggest pro: I'm kind of an odd duck in that I can't stand repetition and have never performed the same show twice, and so I'm always looking for something that is quick to master and can be easily adapted to a different theme du jour. This fits the bill exactly.

My main caveat is that I would not expect this method to be used by someone who is doing a very serious or bizarre type of magic (I'm thinking of a Eugene Poinc kind of show). The other is that if you are new to mentalism, you will either want an accomplice or really take the solo instructions to heart. There is also a variant where the effect can be infinitely repeated with certain limitations, and this method would be very easy for a beginner to accomplish (I speak from the personal experience of having used this a number of years ago before even having a show to put it in. Atlas has some very interesting ideas for this method as well). One limitation on adapting to different themes is the same as something like the Master system: Any show with TIBPS has to speak to the fact that there's a prediction sitting in plain view the whole time. This is kind of its strength, too, though, and unlike Master, if you play it right you can surprise the audience with the fact that your very conspicuous container holds a prediction.

In short: The laws of physics still apply and there is some work to do, but the work is simple, cheap to set up, can be learned and applied with minimal effort, and a variety of ways of accomplishing the work are discussed in the booklet. I know it well to be a solid low-tech, low-effort, high-impact effect with a ton of uses. It is being road-tested by a few serious mentalists (sans accomplice), and I'm happy if any of them share their more private thoughts to others via PM.

PM me if you want me to be any more explicit.

-Aaron

P.S. I really doubt this will happen, but if you get that sensation that you get when an expensive, overhyped product leaves you feeling cold, I'll refund you or give you another effect.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
How does a penguin mend his house?
Igloos it together
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12243 Posts

Profile of John C
The only JOKE here is that Aaron took so long to get this idea to us. Joke's on us!! Ha ha ha!

This is terrific thinking and a very viable method that will fool the pants off 'em!

I hope Aaron has more stuff up his sleeve and becomes our friend soon.

Sealegs, if you buy this and don't like it I'll ... I'll .... I'll make Aaron give you your money back.

No seriously, Stephen Young will give you your money back ... and Bill Cushman will give you a copy of Bill's Bends, right Bill and Steve.

It's that good Sealegs. No hype.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Sealegs - I would have posted a more comprehensive review if I thought Aaron was to the point of distributing this. I don't know if he is planning on selling it, what the asking price would be, or where to purchase it. I think Aaron started this thread with the intention of obtaining feedback and opinions prior to releasing this.

If this were a section for reviews, I would post in detail what I thought were the strengths regarding handling (here is some food for thought - like a beach ball being tossed around at a concert, it engages the audience Smile ) and the weaknesses, which at this point, is pretty much that the prediction by nature cannot be too large. I would also give a few tips as regards handling and tests that you may want to run to ensure that everything comes off without any troubles.

I may actually take a moment and send my thoughts along to Aaron if he wants to include them in the version that he plans to distribute.

But, to answer your initial question, I don't think this is at the release stage, and so specific details are still vague out of respect for whatever Aaron's plans may be.

But, to echo John, Bill, Doctor Todd, Ray, and Stephen - This is very good thinking. It is easy to do, visually appealing, and broadly applicable. I would be surprised if you didn't like it.

Best,

Atlas
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Thanks JC. Thanks a lot.

But yeah, if you don't like it I'LL give you your money back!

Steve
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12243 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2012-12-13 16:16, Stephen Young wrote:
Thanks JC. Thanks a lot.

But yeah, if you don't like it I'LL give you your money back!

Steve

YES!
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I don't get it. Why the difference with Steve having to give up money and me having to give a copy of DBB? And why doesn't Atlas have to give up a copy of The Prodigal? : )

Sealegs, I understand your frustrations, especially since the title is so vague. First, I missed the previews so traded for a copy of DBB. So not exactly a freebie. Not that I would have reviewed it any differently had I gotten it for free or paid cash.

I'm not sure, Sealegs, why more isn't being specified regarding the effect. Or even the name which would help. But I'm guessing Alexander has his reasons though I don't see a problem. Maybe it is just an odd oversight. Alexander?

I do have some things to add in terms of Alexander's credibility. He has very good taste as demonstrated when he provided me with a video of his take on The Jumping Pulse. It stays between he and I so don't even ask.

If you go to his site, you can see him performing, albeit a few years ago, some wonderful effects in a college lab setting. What really got me though, as good as the the effects were, was how the audience was responding to Alexander. He has a way with people, evoking excellent responses from both participants and audience. So back then (you were how old Alexander Smile? A true baby face so I'm guessing no more than 19 or 20?) he already had developed a very good understanding of what people like and how to bring out the best in an audience.

This kind of thinking shows in TIBPS. In a way (see Atlas's beach ball metaphor) you can involve the entire audience before the prediction becomes evident for a killer finale. Kind of like DBB in form, hmmm.

Also, Alexander is vetting the h*** out of the book. There are precedents but nothing quite like what Alexander has put together. Not even close. At least so far and Greg Arce has been consulted who usually knows everything and is one of the people I always go to in order to make sure I'm not reinventing the wheel. Props for the care Alexander is taking and holding off until all is known and everything is just right.
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Bill, you cheeky man! Stephen must be the easiest one of the three of us to shake down!

It is a lock anyway - I can't see that anyone would be disappointed by this. And I am glad you got my meaning regarding the beachball at the concert.

At any rate, if you liked this and enjoyed what you saw on Aaron's site, you will love his book "The Pygmalion Effects". It reads like a graduate level textbook in mental and psychological effects. I've got a review copy and I think it will make a splash if he ever decides to release it.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Easy to shake down? Maybe.
But it's more a case of I feel confident that no-one who buys this (when it's available) will be disappointed.

Also just for clarity.
I traded this for a copy of my ESPy-onage.
So I've actually paid more than those who will be buying it. Review would have been the same if I'd got it for free.

steve
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Corfu, Greece
610 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
In the interests of transparency, I have also got a traded copy, but my review would be exactly as my esteemed friends above :- this is very nice!

The fact that it fits pretty much what I do, makes it even better, but as Aaron said in his earlier post; it may not be the ideal reveal for every type of presentation.

All of that said, I can see this being used for a multitude of purposes and in varying environments.

The 'feel' of this really reminds me of something that TA Waters would have come up with and it makes me smile at the prospect of using it.

Thanks Aaron.

Alan
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3200 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
HI Aaron, hope you put the credit in the pdf as the transparent balloon idea and the handling of the pin, is esactly the same as in my Thought of card in Balloon DVD Smile
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1783 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Seriously,It may be the same as in your Thought of Card in Balloon but it is not original with you, start with Barrie Richardson's book but it goes back beyond that also. I used it same method for a bill to impossible location years ago, but I do not want credit for it.
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Corfu, Greece
610 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
I think that it is extremely discourteous to have exposed the method behind someone's effect in a public forum like this.

Any grievances could easily have been discussed via pm.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
My reply to the creator, on reading his effect, included a recommendation that he contact Luca as I'd seen him use something similar.

Steve
aalexander
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of aalexander
Luca, I've PM'd you. I have not put the effect on the market. As you can see from the comments, there have been no real in-depth reviews because it has not been released yet. The only people who have a copy received a free review copy, or did a trade-for-trade.

The reason for the delay was specifically because some reviewers had mentioned that you had mentioned doing something similar on your DVD, and I wanted to find out more. I've been speaking with some people who are way better magic historians than I, and people who have seen and reviewed your DVD.

Bill has already said that I was "vetting the hell" out of this, and that takes time. I started that by starting this thread. I hope that you can see that I'm taking a lot of care to learn how to do things right, and that I will keep you informed. If there was any doubt of that, it should be erased by the fact that I PM'd you there very first day that this thread started, within minutes of Steve mentioning that you might have done something similar. I've said to everyone involved that I want to do the right thing and would consider crediting, altering, or scrapping anything that was not original with me.

I won't promise to do everything right, but I will promise to do everything in good faith and with integrity. I'm sure there are people here who can vouch for that. I hope we can finish this discussion elsewhere.

-Aaron.
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3200 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Dear Aaron, we agreed, that BEFORE you was goign to release this (and as I can see you arelady sent some copies out) you was goign to watch the DVD and then release this after (for me sending out copies is a pre-release). I sent you some pm (that you have read it) and I was hoping that INSTEAD writing here, you was goign to reply me back...but at this point if you want to speak in public I have no problem Smile You know...the italian likes "spice stuff" Smile
Jokes a part, this method is not new to anyone as already many performers in the past has already plaied with that (from Corinda, to Richardson, to Mike Jenest and many others) as I HAVE credited in my DVD...the only improvement I have donewas in the handling of the pin and the extra about the clear ballon (that was tipped by Nefesh for my DVD) which are VERY similar to your routine. By now I would like to solve this things in private. Thanks
aalexander
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of aalexander
Sorry, everyone. I posted here to find reviewers. Reviewers told me about precedents, and I contacted Luca and others right away. He got a free review copy right away as well, as did others who I thought could help us sort this. Luca and I have exchanged over a dozen PMs, but I think during my silence he assumed that I had released this effect without telling him. If this isn't sorted in private, I'll scrap the effect and let everyone on here know.

Anyone who is upset with anything that has gone on here, please let me know what I have done wrong and I will correct it. If you are unsatisfied with a trade, I will happily give you another effect.

-Aaron.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
We can get this sorted out guys.

Steve
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12243 Posts

Profile of John C
I'm happy. As long as Steve gives the refunds. Smile Sorry Steve I know that you are fair and will honor my requests.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Both Aaron and Luca are decent guys.
I'm sure this is well on the way to being sorted out.

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Reviewers for TIBPS (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL