The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Chris Mayhew Safety! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MichalMystic
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of MichalMystic
Chris was talking to me about this the other night but didn't say to much. Now that I've seen it all I can say is wow! Check it out!
http://www.ellusionist.com/safety-by-chris-mayhew.html
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2120 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
That final phase looks awesome. Great job Chris!
Kevin Reylek
mysticalsales
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of mysticalsales
Excellent visuals on the last 2 phases and immediately examinable, nice!
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
It does look very nice, and very visual, but it looks the same as Bruce Bernstein’s routine and from the looks, it’s the same exact method. The only difference is we are now going to have a bunch of pre-teens exposing the method on YouTube, and loading the video on torrent sites.

I really enjoyed being one of the few “younger” guys who knew about this gem.
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.bigguysmagic.com -The Best Magic Shop
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Chris is a creative guy, but in this case can anyone say Deamweaver by Nicholas Bengston? Dreamweaver came out years ago and is a longer routine (around 9 phases) and uses an additional gaffed safety pin for one or two of the phases. Otherwise Chris's routine looks pretty darn close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq6nEuMIakU
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2120 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Dreamweaver also came to mind for me when watching this demo, but I think Safety looks much better.
Kevin Reylek
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Years ago I got fried by Dreamweaver.

Here's the official demo on it. It's only $11, which is amazing. If released today it would come with a DVD and be $35 ( and be worth it ).

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S4678

Steve Brooks reviewed in back in 2004:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=71
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
This is sick...I love it!!
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3879 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I love chris's magic but I too struggled to see what was different between this and other routines already on the market.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I think Chris Mayhew is a great talent. I like him and his magic. But with Dan Garret's Pindemonium ( which Dreamweaver is based on ) and other such versions, I didn't see anything new with Safety ( IMHO ).
chris mayhew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto ON, Canada
179 Posts

Profile of chris mayhew
Hi guys, as we all know, the linking safety pins has been around for a very long time. What Dreamweaver brought to the table was a gimmicked pin that allowed for some beautiful links. The handling taught in dreamweaver was basically an extension of Dan Garret's Pindemonium, which in turn, is Dan's own handling for UnSafety pins by Han Van Senus. I am not trying to claim any originality in method to the effect, but I do believe my refined handling on the links bring something unique and beautiful to the already full table. I wanted to create a stream lined routine that had each phase escalate to a climax that only Dan Garret's sliding link could fulfil. Unfortunately the iphone video shot missed out on some key elements that I thought were important for the routine. I fought to have it removed, but alas the company thought the younger generation of magicians would dig it, and they are probably correct (it was my own fault for not doing the trick right anyways). However if you watch the professionally shot video which comes after, my hope is that the more seasoned professionals will see the small touches I have added that really make this routine worth performing. I didn't want the first link to be visual, and it racked my brain for ages on how I could make that possible since at it's core, the linking pins is meant to be a visual routine. I wanted to add build up and tension, and I really do believe if done right, the first phase of the routine does just that. I wanted the second phase to be very straight forward, and not have to hide behind large circular actions to misdirect the origin of the link. And of course, the last phase is a refined handling of Dan Garret's sliding link from his amazing routine Pindemonium. I contacted Dan personally and asked for his permission to teach his fantastic link within the context of my routine. Dan was very gracious and said yes. If he had said no, I would of had no problem scrapping the project. We all stand on the shoulders of the giants that came before us, my only hope is that those giants want us on their shoulders, so we can continue to move this art forward. Even if you already know the method to this effect, I still think there is a ton of valuable information taught on the DVD that will help make your routine better. This is just my two cents, feel free to take it or leave it. Cheers.

Chris Mayhew
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
Anyone have this?
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1609 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I have both Dreamweaver and Pindemonium.
Chris Mayhew handling is the best I've ever seen. Looks like real magic in his hands.
He's quite a talent.
Tricky Ricky
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4636 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I want to jump in here and comment.

The difference between "bad" and "good" is a big one. The difference between "good" and "great" are the little ones.

Chris has done a lot of research into the linking safety pin plot (as you can see from his post), and what he's claiming here is new touches that will take this trick from good to great for many people.

His routine is well structure and well thought out. He's added touches that turn "standard" phases into miracles. He provides detailed instruction and good crediting.

While I can understand some people's hesitation, let me say this:

"If you're new to the plot, this is a great way to discover it. And if you're familiar with it, and love it... then you owe it to yourself to pick this up."
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for all sorts of FREE VIRTUAL PROGRAMMING for magicians!
Bill Abbott Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of Bill Abbott Magic
I never gave two farts about the linking pins. I've seen all of the best do it - including my friend and mentor Bob Sheets and Dan Garrett. Mayhew was the first one to make it magic for me. In a parking garage, over beers, inches away from my face. And yes I frequently hang out in parking garages. With Mayhew inches away from my face.

Cheers
Bill Abbott
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Those are darn good endorsements. I'm tapped out on the magic buying for awhile ( family stuff ) so hopefully someone picks this up to review it.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4636 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
If my endorsement was worth anything, this is one of the few products I would be HONORED to put my name on.

That's all I'm sayin'. Smile
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for all sorts of FREE VIRTUAL PROGRAMMING for magicians!
Granger
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Granger
It looks terrific!
geggy
View Profile
Loyal user
Brighton UK
243 Posts

Profile of geggy
Quote:
On 2012-12-15 00:36, Ben Train wrote

"If you're new to the plot, this is a great way to discover it. And if you're familiar with it, and love it... then you owe it to yourself to pick this up."

I am new to this plot and will def. be getting this....looks so visually unbelievable. Thanks for your post, which has endorsed the feeling I had when I first viewed the demo...Beautiful eye candy magic.
Foxlute
View Profile
Regular user
UK
148 Posts

Profile of Foxlute
Can anyone tell me if this is available anywhere in the UK yet?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Chris Mayhew Safety! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL