The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » John Hostler- TRISKADEQUADRA PRINCIPLE (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
I'm on the Lybrary's eMailing list and I just received this today. As a fan of the Gilbreath principle, this looks very interesting to me. I'm not sure what it is that John Hostler has come up with, but this is yet another thing that I would really like to get. Unfortunately I have spent much more money on magic products this past month (no- The Third Eye Learning System was NOT one of them!), and with Christmas less than 2 weeks away I am totally out of magic money to spend, but this is high on my list of Man, I really need to get this, along with "Glance", "Fax", and "Deluxe Nest of Wallets". Unfortunately I must wait until at least January 2nd before I can spend another dime on magic, though! Although, reading through this, I see that I could probably make my money back many times over after making a visit to my local bar and performing some bar-bet magic for the suckers- I'm sorry, I meant the spectators! I would buy this just because John seems like a nice guy, and because he is a fan of the GD. It will only set you back $14. I have a feeling that somehow I'm going to spend $14 before the weekend is over! Does anyone here have a place for me to stay in the NYC area after my wife throws me out?

If anyone here actually has this, please do us a favor and fill us in, OK?

Here is the info that I got just as it was sent to me by the Lybrary-

Folks, this is something I really want you to focus your attention on. It
is an entirely new principle in card magic. That is a very rare event in
magic. Ok, so if you are not into cards you can move on. But if you like
the Gilbreath principle then you will like this, too. While the
Triskadequadra principle is related to Gilbreath it is something entirely
different and opens the door to completely new effects and ploys.

I am just as excited about Triskadequadra as when I first learned of the
Gilbreath principle. It will take a bit of thinking to fully understand
this new principle, but those who are willing to invest the necessary time
will have an entirely new principle at their disposal to fool and create
with.

But there is no requirement to 'understand' the principle. You can simply
do the effects without knowing why they work, and you will badly fool
yourself and your audience. And here the official blurb...

----------

The Triskadequadra Principle marks a substantive step forward in the
evolution of card magic. John Hostler has isolated two very special
properties inherent in a riffle-shuffled deck – properties buried in the
mathematics underlying tools such as the Gilbreath Principle. A must-have
for serious pasteboard scholars and principle geeks, this ebook also
provides a generous selection of real-world applications:

Equilibrium- – Cards are slowly dropped to the table until a spectator
senses equilibrium. These cards are found to comprise an intriguing (and
previously predicted!) mix of the four suits.

Rogue Heart- – A card selected in tension-building fashion "optimizes" a
secret poker hand held from the start by a spectator.

Bar Bits- – Two clever pub swindles designed to wet your whistle on any
given Saturday night. For entertainment purposes only.

Suitelepathy- – A telepathic connection allows the performer to divine the
colors and suits of a freely selected packet of cards.

The TDQ Deck- – A combination force/pump deck that can be spectator-shuffled
and displayed face-up
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
I have this. The principle is interesting and I'm sure there's more that can be done with it. If you use a Stebbins or Eight Kings style stack, or you're fine with the Faro shuffle, this is very interesting material.
Unsurprisingly, setup is required for all of the effects. The principle is related to the Gilbreath principles, but different, although obviously the underlying mathematics are identical. Some effects can be done with a normal deck, some of the effects involve a little extra, to get the most out of the principle.
Suitelepathy was the best effect for me; normal deck, lots of spectator handling, powerful effect. The method involved in the TDQ deck is great, and it's the most powerful effect in the book in my opinion, but I prefer to use a normal deck.
The two "bar bets" were fun and interesting and don't require anything other than a deck. Pretty much the best effects in the book.

The principle itself has much more to give, I'm sure. The best way to summarise it is that it's like Gilbreath but with less procedure.
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Thanks for the info, volto.

If I only get the bar bets out of this it will be worth it!

This will be on my list for a first thing in 2013 purchase.
jhostler
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of jhostler
Quote:
On 2012-12-13 11:32, volto wrote:
The principle itself has much more to give, I'm sure. The best way to summarise it is that it's like Gilbreath but with less procedure.

It "does different things," but shares mechanical and mathematical characteristics with work by Gilbreath, Boudreau, Fulves, et al.
Your Thinking Cap
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Your Thinking Cap
I am glad to see that John's masochistic muse has returned. I can't wait to pick this up.
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
I really enjoyed this. Anyone who has interest in gilbreath, miraskill and general math-related magic will probably like this. While the bar bets do require a setup, anyone good with culling could likely have a deck setup within 40 sec or so to do those, while a couple other effects take some other setup as well. I definitely thought this was a worthwhile read.
jhostler
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of jhostler
FYI - Anyone who purchases either the Triska or Cryptical ebook directly from The Magic Press (http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/hostlermagic) within the next 24 hours can email their official Lulu receipt to me (john [at] johnhostler [dot] com) for a free PDF copy of the OTHER book. This offer ends at 12:30pm central, 1/23/13, and will not be repeated!
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Hi, John! I'd like to take advantage of that deal, but I already have "Cryptical Envelopment". Would it be possible to get your other eBook (I can't remember the name!) instead? Thanks!
jhostler
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of jhostler
Over the past hour, I've been delightfully swamped with two questions:

1) What if I've already ordered a book?
Answer: This offer applies only to orders placed directly with Magic Press during the current 24-hour period.

2) Am I eligible for a free PDF if I order a paperback rather than an e-book?
Answer: Sure.

Hope that clears things up!
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Well, I see that "The Rauschenberg Effect" (which is what I was talking about in the post above) is available from Magic Press, but only as a paperback. So I guess that means it is not an option, correct?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » John Hostler- TRISKADEQUADRA PRINCIPLE (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL